Panasonic 25mm f1.7 for $99 at Adorama and B&H with Free Shipping (expired)

aidanw

Mu-43 Regular
I ordered on 26 Nov and have had my order cancelled today like everyone else. My credit card was charged in advance and is being refunded.

I asked B&H the reason for the cancellation, and the customer service person said they received some stock that went towards filling back-orders but aren't getting any additional stock.

Disappointing that Panasonic aren't providing the stock to B&H. Any Panasonic deals for next Black Friday are going to be met some some healthy skepticism!

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
Any Panasonic deals for next Black Friday are going to be met some some healthy skepticism!
Well, a lot of people (myself included) did manage to get at least 1 lens.

But yes, it's obviously Panasonic's fault for not predicting that the best lens deal in the history of Micro Four Thirds, ever, would get a lot of response from the community...

henk sijgers

New to Mu-43
I believe B&H should've explained to their customers why this happened. Panasonic should've explained as well.

I would have been impressed if B&H had plainly stated to their customer that Panasonic will not provide the lens at the original price. I would've immediately understood that B&H was being stiffed by Panasonic. Their form letter was very unsatisfying and unhelpful:

We are sorry to advise you that your order for the PANASONIC 25mm f/1.7 LENS FOR DUAL IS is currently not available at B&H. We regret that at this point we will have to cancel your order.

We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you.
B&H had an opportunity to be honest with their customers about why they were cancelling these orders. They decided not to be and hide behind passive language. Maybe they save face with Panasonic by not being up front about why this happened, but they've lost it with me, and I now know not to believe what B&H says to its customers. I also know not to believe Panasonic will stand behind their promotions. This may be fairly intangible and insignificant to the bottom line for B&H and/or Panasonic, but they tell me something about how little they value their customers.

aidanw

Mu-43 Regular
But yes, it's obviously Panasonic's fault for not predicting that the best lens deal in the history of Micro Four Thirds, ever, would get a lot of response from the community...
It was pretty good. The Sigma 19mm + 30mm lens deal for $199 several years ago was also pretty high up there. Kudos for Sigma that they delivered on that one.

iamwhoiam

Mu-43 Regular
I ordered from B & H on Nov 24th and today I also received an email that my order was canceled and that the 99.99 was refunded to a gift card which was how I purchased it to begin with. I think it's interesting that the other day the lens was in stock on the Panasonic website selling for $299.99. Now I don't see it in stock. When I called B & H on 12/4 I was told that there were lenses coming in @ Dec. 14th and that I would probably get one from that stock. Of course that didn't happened. What especially disappoints me is that from the time I ordered until today when it was canceled I never received any update email from B & H. I called B & H regarding the cancellation and was told that the lens was no longer available through B & H. I asked if it would ever be available again and the rep just repeated the same thing. I wonder if we will see it available again at the $249.99 or even the $299.99 price some time in the future through B & H. I don't think that this would be a smart thing to do although I do understand that there are promotions with special pricing but there was never any expiration date for the 99.99 price nor was there any statement that supplies were limited and then they waited over 2 months to cancel the orders.

Henry

Mu-43 Regular
Same here, B&H photo finally cancelled my order sayings they are very disappointed, but they cannot offer any kind of rebate on any another lens.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I don't think anyone should have a beef with B&H or other retailers, who seemingly got screwed by Panasonic. B&H apologized. That should be enough. But these situations (great deals) seem to bring out the worst in consumers. People saying they won't buy from B&H again because they didn't get their cheap lens. Grow up. You can always buy on here if you want. Some nice folks seem to have upped their prices since it was announced the sale orders would not be fulfilled. Really a nice community feeling to this thread.

Kyle Hall

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Kyle Hall
Just thought to try m43 in Nov/Dec and this deal brought me over here. Well after this experience it just leaves a real bad taste. I'll stick with my Nikon and what they are doing on that side. I guess I just had high hopes about how cool Panasonic was for doing this and was building up some customer loyalty. Well that's dead and gone, I'm moving on. This place was nice while it lasted, but I have no reason to be here. Peace.

mccarthyizm

New to Mu-43
I don't think anyone should have a beef with B&H or other retailers, who seemingly got screwed by Panasonic. B&H apologized. That should be enough. But these situations (great deals) seem to bring out the worst in consumers. People saying they won't buy from B&H again because they didn't get their cheap lens. Grow up. You can always buy on here if you want. Some nice folks seem to have upped their prices since it was announced the sale orders would not be fulfilled. Really a nice community feeling to this thread.
Grow up? Consumers are the only party involved that have zero blame. B&H was not ultimately responsible, but it's obvious to me you weren't affected, because if you had received their horribly worded cancellation email yesterday, I guarantee you wouldn't be coming to their defense. How anybody could look at this situation and tell consumers to "grow up" because they didn't get something that they paid for three months ago is completely beyond me.

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
Grow up? Consumers are the only party involved that have zero blame. B&H was not ultimately responsible, but it's obvious to me you weren't affected, because if you had received their horribly worded cancellation email yesterday, I guarantee you wouldn't be coming to their defense. How anybody could look at this situation and tell consumers to "grow up" because they didn't get something that they paid for three months ago is completely beyond me.
I got the exact same e-mail from B&H. I figured that in the end the deal was too good to be true, and having put the lens out of mind for 2 months eased the sting of final disappointment. Life goes on.

I'm more annoyed at Panasonic than I am at B&H, but at the same time I'm not even that bothered. If the promotion was so unprofitable that they chose to risk ill will and drop it, I'm not particularly interested in driving Panasonic into the ground, as I'd like them to continue making M4/3 gear profitably and sustainably in the future.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I said "grow up" because people are whining like babies. I'm not suggesting they are to blame. The email from B&H I saw, that someone posted, offered an apology. I'm sure it could've been written better, but what do you really expect?

You are right, I'm not impacted by this. I didn't want the lens, though I was tempted by the cheap offer.

I think when you are trying to take advantage of a crazy deal like this you need to be ready to roll with the punches a bit. No reason to get so invested in obtaining one cheap lens, is there? We own our reactions. We can choose to behave like adults and say "win some, lose some", or we can whine because we didn't get what we wanted (or because we received a horribly worded email) and insist on holding somebody accountable.

c5karl

Mu-43 Regular
FWIW, Adorama has not (yet) canceled the lens I have on backorder with them.

As for the lack of explanation from B&H, if Panasonic truly is to blame, then B&H is wise not to criticize its supplier in correspondence with customers. Angering customers doesn't help them, but angering OEMs puts them out of business.

henk sijgers

New to Mu-43
As for the lack of explanation from B&H, if Panasonic truly is to blame, then B&H is wise not to criticize its supplier in correspondence with customers. Angering customers doesn't help them, but angering OEMs puts them out of business.
The implication here is that B&H can stay in business by angering their customers by not being honest with them but be put out of business by angering an OEM by being honest about them.

I'd hate to be dependent on a business model that's based on not being honest with the end customer, who's giving you money. And B&H didn't need to criticize Panasonic, simply be honest about the situation. If the truth puts Panasonic in a bad light, then maybe Panasonic is the one who needs to worry about being put out of business.

listers_nz

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Simon
It is hard to say who is really to blame here. Should the retailers have accepted backorders, or just sold stock on hand? Maybe Panasonic set a limit on how many they were prepared to sell at that price, but didn't communicate it well. Or perhaps is was just a giant cockup by all concerned! :)

FWIW I wouldn't back order anything that involves paying money up front, no matter how good the deal. I'll take my money elsewhere or wait for the next deal. There is no telling when, or if, you will ever get the item, or even if you will ever see your money again.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
I'm still not clear how B&H was not honest. Breif and maybe a bit cryptic, sure, but I still don't understand what they said was dishonest.

I suspect that B&H was not happy about this situation as they are in business to sell merchandise and keep their customers happy. Perhaps they could have worded their notice better, but that does not change the fact that they did not receive the merchandise they thought they were getting. It is just not goodwill to take orders that you know you have no ability to fulfill. They offer reasonably liberal policies to their customers, and I appreciate that. I can understand the frustration of not getting this lens, but it does not seem like B&H was the only retailer caught in this situation. There are, however, many other retailers to choose from and I hope you find one that can better meets your expectations.

Good luck,

--Ken

Last edited:

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
Got my refund today. I consider it a short-term investment in the strong US dollar. I made a profit of $6.78 on $159 in 2 months. That kind of ROI beats the stock market. Silver linings, eh?

...I then immediately spent $215 CDN on filters, film, a remote cable release for an Instant Camera I am building, and other small odds and ends.

And despite the absolutely terrible (and getting worse) Canadian dollar, it still cost me less than buying it from anywhere in Canada. Yep, B&H is going to stay in business, don't anyone worry...

c5karl

Mu-43 Regular
Odd: I just got a message from Adorama that my $99 25mm f/1.7 is still on back order.

I have been getting one of these messages every 16 days since placing the order. It seems to be completely automated. But unlike the other vendors, Adorama (at least in my case) has kept the order in their system.

qppoiz

Mu-43 Regular
I cancelled my order with B&H a week or two ago after asking a CS rep about availability updates. I was later given a survey and pointed out that I was disappointed with the lead times and with the lack of information regarding the lens' availability. Today I received a pretty good explanation as to what happened:

"Thank you for choosing to shop with B&H Photo and for this survey response giving us valuable feedback concerning your shopping experience. We appreciate your critique of this experience and sharing this frustrating situation with us. We accepted order for this item with every intention of filling them. The reason we were able to offer the lens for $99.99 was that Panasonic said they'd reimburse us for the difference between that price and the regular $247.99 price. This is the same way an "instant rebate" works -- the US distributor refunds the price difference to the retailer. Without the refund from the distributor retailers cannot afford the below-cost prices.Panasonic has withdrawn their promise to honor this reimbursement. Basically by withdrawing their agreement to us we're left in a bind and so are our customers.

Regrettably, there was no way we could not have anticipated that Panasonic would become unable (or otherwise decline) to fill the orders we had placed with them for this lens. We share your disappointment and surprise at their decision. This promotion was headed by Panasonic and it was their decision to cease fulfillment of this lens."

That's enough closure for me!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom