Panasonic 25mm f1.7 for $99 at Adorama and B&H with Free Shipping (expired)

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by ozuiko, Nov 22, 2015.

1. ozuiko

ozuiko New to Mu-43

Nov 28, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
    • Like Like x 5
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 2
  2. Underwater

Underwater Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2014
    Eugene, Oregon
    Free shipping, too (at least at B&H). Impossible to resist at this price...
  3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I wouldn't pay $199, but for $99 I'd say that's more in line with the what the lens is worth!
  4. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    geez... really tempting. Shipping to autralia is not much either.
  5. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

Never one to resist temptation, I've ordered one this morning and it worked out as £110 with import fees.
  6. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    $99.. truly the M43's cheap standard lens! Cheaper than Canon 50mm!
  7. Addicted2light

Addicted2light Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 13, 2015
    From a marketing perspective imho Panasonic just shot themselves in the foot.

As a company, you cannot sell a new product with a discounted introductory price of 199€ (supposedly compared with a full retail price of 250€) and a week later or so lower the price to 99€.

This in no way of conducting business, and as for me from now on I will give my money only to Olympus, and I will not buy ever another Panasonic product (yes, I tend to get pretty irritated when someone pulls something like this!)
  8. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    Bargain, just ordered one :)
  9. Levster

My dad just bought a G7 with 14-140 with £100 cashbook and one week later Panasonic now has an offer of £200 cash back. These things happen! This price has not been reflected in Europe, where it is still around $200, so maybe it's a Black Friday thing?
  10. Levster

I've received an email from B&H to say that the lens is out of stock. The offer is clearly popular!
  11. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Wow... Talk about a nifty fifty.
  12. Touni

Touni Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 19, 2015
    I definitely agree, big dissapoitment..
  13. gearcrasher

gearcrasher New to Mu-43

Oct 25, 2012
    Raleigh North Carolina
    Almost pulled the trigger at $199 so got lucky because I'm wishy washy. Ordered this one today at Adorama. I will wait if not in stock. I understand others being upset but M4/3 needs reasonably lens prices to compete with the big boys.
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  14. mw6sense

mw6sense Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2015
    patrick cheung
    Thanks for the lead. The deal plus the convenient location (I work next block from them) make it too hard to resist!
  15. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    totally devalues everything they sell
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    I ordered. The first m4/3 primes I ever ordered were the Sigma 19 and 30mm, when they were offered for a short time at $99 each. That didn't last very long and the price never got that low again. And, as with the Panasonic, I think it was a US-only price. Anyway, it's possible that the Panasonic 25mm will drop to this price again, but it is also possible that it won't.

I would certainly be annoyed had I bought one already, though not really with Panasonic or the stores. I'd just be annoyed that I had spent more than I had to. If you are still in the return period, you could return the one you have or contact your seller and see if they'll adjust the price.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. Krigskoen

Krigskoen Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2015
    Holy cow, that is cheap! Even though I have to pay taxes/customs and shipping, it's still a lot cheaper than buying it here in my country. Now for the long wait until it gets shipped :)
  18. Addicted2light

Addicted2light Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 13, 2015
    Even so, the manufacturer has a say in these things. Such a vast discount on a brand new product is unusual to say the least; this is something you do when a lens / camera has been out for a while (= months) and sales are decreasing (I've worked in this field).

Quite honestly, I think m4/3 lenses are already pretty cheap, especially considering that they are cheap but really good (sometimes exceptional). The big boys, with the exception of the 50mm CaNikon, either don't have lenses this cheap or they are utter pieces of you know what (optically speaking).

Yep, exactly my point. I was this close (hours) from buying a 15/1.7, but at this point you cannot expect me to drop any amount of cash on a new Panasonic product with a tiny bit of confidence I'm not trowing away money... I shall still buy a GM5, given for the sizes there aren't alternatives for now (maybe the new Pen?), but now I'll search for an used one :)

Not gonna happen, unfortunately, because the only one that had this in stock here in Europe at the time was not one of the usual big boys with a return policy Amazon (or Adorama etc.) style... Luckily we're not talking serious money, but it still denotes poor/none respect for your customers.
  19. summerkl

summerkl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Kevin L
    Wow - couldn't resist. Extra sweet is that shipping to Canada is free :) I had been fighting off the purchase of a 25mm AF lens because I had a very good MF Canon FD 24mm f2.8. But at this price GAS wins.
  20. nublar

nublar Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2013
    Combine it with the American Express $15 off $60 @ Amazon (buy from Adorama @ Amazon) and get it for $85 =)

Thanks for using your Amex Offer at AMAZON MARKEPLACE NA - PAYMENTS. Look out for a $15.00 statement credit, which will automatically be applied to your statement if your purchase meets the offer terms.