Panasonic 25mm f/1.7 vs Olympus 25mm f/1.8 Samples inside

cyrax83

Mu-43 Regular
Hi
I recently had both of these lenses in my hand for a short period of time and decided to do some comparisons.

First some comparison shots. The Panasonic feels lighter but it slightly bigger/longer. The Olympus filter collar ring is not on the lens

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Next some picture comparisons. This is just some amateur shots as I'm definitely no pro testing lenses. Both lenses were shot on an E-M1 in Aperture priority mode in RAW with center focus. Only adjustments in Lightroom is 25 sharpening and 10 noise reduction and resized down then export to jpg

Panasonic @ 1.7

Olympus @ 1.8

100% crop comparison Panasonic on left (f1.7), Olympus on right (f1.8)

Panasonic @ f/4

Olympus @ f/4

100% Panasonic left Olympus right @ f/4

Last edited:

cyrax83

Mu-43 Regular
Panasonic @ f/8

Olympus @ f/8

100% comparison Panasonic left Olympus right @ f/8

Summary: to me the Olympus seems a tad sharper. But at quite a bit more expensive, Olympus needs a price drop!
The Olympus colours also seem to pop a little more (check out the sky)

Last edited:

manzoid

Mu-43 Regular
Were these on a tripod? FOV looks significantly different if so.

cyrax83

Mu-43 Regular
Were these on a tripod? FOV looks significantly different if so.
They were on a Joby Gorillapod on a table. I think it's also documented previously that the Olympus is slightly wider than the Panasonic at 25mm

In Robin Wongs comaparison with the 25mm Oly to 20mm Pana:

1) Difference Field of View: Olympus 25mm is slightly wider

The 25mm on the Panasonic lens is not equivalent to the 25mm on the Olympus lens. The Olympus lens is slightly wider than the Panasonic, and the difference is quite evident. This statement is not saying which lens is better than the other, and I had no way to find out which lens was closer to the real 50mm perspective. This may not be a big issue, but I think it is worth a mention. I always find myself having tighter composition with the Panasonic lens, as I try to match back as closely as I can to the original Olympus composition.
I also observed the same behaviour that the Olympus is slightly brighter at the same aperture

2) The Olympus lens is slightly brighter than the Panasonic lens
We know how an ISO200 on one camera is possibly different from an ISO200 from another camera, and with high possibilities both cameras are not accurate. Same thing with lenses, the F4 opening on the Panasonic may not necessarily be the same with the F4 opening on the Olympus lens. You will notice from the image samples in this blog entry, especially those taken toward the final comparison series of general sharpness where I set both lenses to have similar F-number. Shooting at Aperture Priority, the Olympus 25mm chooses faster shutter speed (about 1/3 of an EV stop) than the Panasonic 25mm. For example, similar scene with similar camera settings and same aperture controlled, the Olympus may get the shutter speed of 1/100sec, while the Panasonic will get 1/80sec, and as I inspect both images, the exposure balance came out very similar.
For example, @ f/4 the Olympus was at 1/800 sec, Panasonic at f/4 was at 1/640 sec

Last edited:

Klorenzo

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Lorenzo
Thanks for sharing this. Just a couple of notes on the test:
- the crop is from the top, I wonder if the focus point was in the middle of the frame instead, on the white house
- you are comparing corner sharpness only in the crops
- foliage is not ideal for comparison shots as even the slightest hint of wind can make a difference (unless very fast shutter speeds)

Last edited:

cyrax83

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks for sharing this. Just a couple of notes on the test:
- the crop is from the top, I wonder if the focus point was in the middle of the frame instead, in the white house
- you are comparing corner sharpness only in the crops
- foliage is not ideal for comparison shots as even the slightest hint of wind can make a difference
Good point - i'll add some 100% crops of the center

PaulGiz

Mu-43 Veteran
Gee willikers, they're close. I guess if you have a Panny and need OIS, get the Panny. If you have an Oly, the Oly's size makes it a bit better.

Impressive sharpness on both, the Oly looks like its a bit more saturated, but I'd be hard pressed to tell them apart otherwise.

P.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
Gee willikers, they're close. I guess if you have a Panny and need OIS, get the Panny.
No OIS on any Panasonic lens that is limited to wider than 30mm, this one included. It's all in the price I'm afraid.

I like the new lens cap though, it's centre pinch for hood access but slim. Yet another design - what is that about 3 different 46mm caps from Pansonic now? There's the thick centre pinch one, the thin side punch one for the newer pancakes, and now this best of both.

Akashi

Mu-43 Regular
It might be the camera (or my eyes), but it seems that panasonic blows the highlights quite a bit more than Olympus. What I mean is that the bright part of the sky is brighter in Pana. What do you think?

Klorenzo

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Lorenzo
It might be the camera (or my eyes), but it seems that panasonic blows the highlights quite a bit more than Olympus. What I mean is that the bright part of the sky is brighter in Pana. What do you think?
In the f1.7 shots the exposure seems identical, while in the f4 and f8 the Panasonic is much brighter overall.
@cyrax83 are the exposure parameters identical in all the shots?

cyrax83

Mu-43 Regular
In the f1.7 shots the exposure seems identical, while in the f4 and f8 the Panasonic is much brighter overall.
@cyrax83 are the exposure parameters identical in all the shots?
Yes I suspect that since I had it on Aperture Priority mode, and Olympus 25mm seems to bit a bit brighter at the same F Stop to Panasonic, this could be the cause. Although the Olympus has a faster shutter speed than the Panasonic to compensate..
I'll check the data tomorrow

Halaking

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Morris
I think Panasonic lenses just have different coating. My Panasonic lenses have slower shutter speed than Olympus when shooting same scene on the same cameras and using the same setting. I have tested P14-42 vs O14-42, P45-150 vs O40-150, P12-32 vs O12-150, I also see little darker and warmer from Panasonic.

WT21

Super Moderator
Unless you are doing full manual exposure, you can't conclude much about the lenses in terms of brightness, color. If you do full manual exposure, and then you find that one lens is indeed darker/lighter than the other then you need to manually adjust to make them equal, before you can judge color.

As was noted, foliage moves in even slight wind, so sharpness can't be deduced here.

Lastly, someone asked if the lens blows highlights. Lenses don't blow highlights. That's all about the exposure in camera, in which case, see point #1 -- you have to manually control for exposure.

Having said all of that, my guesses are -- the will have mildly different color rendition, the Oly is most likely slightly wider (as noted), the Oly is clearly smaller, the (edit: had reversed this. now corrected) panny will (likely) show more pf on an older oly body. But $99 is a heck of a lens price, and it's great to see a "plastic fantastic" for m43. Either lens I'm guessing will perform very similarly. The decision point will mostly likely be "$99" vs. "a bit smaller"

Last edited:

madmaxmedia

Mu-43 Veteran
The exposure level is slightly different in some of the shots- compare the shed and the fence in the f/4 shots for example.
It also appears there is some wind, the Oly wide open shot seems to show it in the leaves.

This is not a criticism of OP at all- I really appreciate him taking the time to take the comparison photos and post them!!

What the test tells me is that the lenses are close enough (at least in sharpness) to not worry about that aspect. If you got the Panasonic lens for $99, you don't have to stay up late at night worrying about whether you are losing sharpness in your photos compared to the Oly (and vice versa if you already own the Oly.)

I think if you mainly shoot Panasonic bodies, better to go with the Panasonic for automatic lens corrections and DFD if/when you get a Panasonic body with that feature. If you own an Oly body then better to go with the Oly lens since Oly bodies now correct for Oly CA.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom