Panasonic 25mm f/1.7 vs Olympus 25mm f/1.8 Samples inside

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by cyrax83, Dec 4, 2015.

1. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    I recently had both of these lenses in my hand for a short period of time and decided to do some comparisons.

First some comparison shots. The Panasonic feels lighter but it slightly bigger/longer. The Olympus filter collar ring is not on the lens

Next some picture comparisons. This is just some amateur shots as I'm definitely no pro testing lenses. Both lenses were shot on an E-M1 in Aperture priority mode in RAW with center focus. Only adjustments in Lightroom is 25 sharpening and 10 noise reduction and resized down then export to jpg

Panasonic @ 1.7

Olympus @ 1.8

100% crop comparison Panasonic on left (f1.7), Olympus on right (f1.8)

Panasonic @ f/4

Olympus @ f/4

100% Panasonic left Olympus right @ f/4

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  2. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    Panasonic @ f/8

Olympus @ f/8

100% comparison Panasonic left Olympus right @ f/8

Summary: to me the Olympus seems a tad sharper. But at quite a bit more expensive, Olympus needs a price drop!
    The Olympus colours also seem to pop a little more (check out the sky)
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. manzoid

manzoid Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    Were these on a tripod? FOV looks significantly different if so.
  4. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    They were on a Joby Gorillapod on a table. I think it's also documented previously that the Olympus is slightly wider than the Panasonic at 25mm

In Robin Wongs comaparison with the 25mm Oly to 20mm Pana:

I also observed the same behaviour that the Olympus is slightly brighter at the same aperture

For example, @ f/4 the Olympus was at 1/800 sec, Panasonic at f/4 was at 1/640 sec
  5. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Thanks for sharing this. Just a couple of notes on the test:
    - the crop is from the top, I wonder if the focus point was in the middle of the frame instead, on the white house
    - you are comparing corner sharpness only in the crops
    - foliage is not ideal for comparison shots as even the slightest hint of wind can make a difference (unless very fast shutter speeds)
  6. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    Good point - i'll add some 100% crops of the center
  7. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    Gee willikers, they're close. I guess if you have a Panny and need OIS, get the Panny. If you have an Oly, the Oly's size makes it a bit better.

Impressive sharpness on both, the Oly looks like its a bit more saturated, but I'd be hard pressed to tell them apart otherwise.

8. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

No OIS on any Panasonic lens that is limited to wider than 30mm, this one included. It's all in the price I'm afraid.

I like the new lens cap though, it's centre pinch for hood access but slim. Yet another design - what is that about 3 different 46mm caps from Pansonic now? There's the thick centre pinch one, the thin side punch one for the newer pancakes, and now this best of both.
  9. Akashi

Akashi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    Tromso, Norway
    It might be the camera (or my eyes), but it seems that panasonic blows the highlights quite a bit more than Olympus. What I mean is that the bright part of the sky is brighter in Pana. What do you think?
  10. carlosfm

carlosfm Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 3, 2015
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Unfortunately, this Panasonic lens does not have OIS.
  11. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    In the f1.7 shots the exposure seems identical, while in the f4 and f8 the Panasonic is much brighter overall.
    @cyrax83@cyrax83 are the exposure parameters identical in all the shots?
  12. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Tha might partly explain why you think the olympus colour pop more in the sky. If you reduce exposure of the panasonic bo 1/3rd stop, the sky will be more blue
  13. carlosfm

carlosfm Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 3, 2015
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Is te me, or my CRT (LOL) or in the dark scenes the Panasonic has more vibrant/punchy colours?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    Yes I suspect that since I had it on Aperture Priority mode, and Olympus 25mm seems to bit a bit brighter at the same F Stop to Panasonic, this could be the cause. Although the Olympus has a faster shutter speed than the Panasonic to compensate..
    I'll check the data tomorrow
  15. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I think Panasonic lenses just have different coating. My Panasonic lenses have slower shutter speed than Olympus when shooting same scene on the same cameras and using the same setting. I have tested P14-42 vs O14-42, P45-150 vs O40-150, P12-32 vs O12-150, I also see little darker and warmer from Panasonic.
  16. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Unless you are doing full manual exposure, you can't conclude much about the lenses in terms of brightness, color. If you do full manual exposure, and then you find that one lens is indeed darker/lighter than the other then you need to manually adjust to make them equal, before you can judge color.

As was noted, foliage moves in even slight wind, so sharpness can't be deduced here.

Lastly, someone asked if the lens blows highlights. Lenses don't blow highlights. That's all about the exposure in camera, in which case, see point #1 -- you have to manually control for exposure.

Having said all of that, my guesses are -- the will have mildly different color rendition, the Oly is most likely slightly wider (as noted), the Oly is clearly smaller, the (edit: had reversed this. now corrected) panny will (likely) show more pf on an older oly body. But $99 is a heck of a lens price, and it's great to see a "plastic fantastic" for m43. Either lens I'm guessing will perform very similarly. The decision point will mostly likely be "$99" vs. "a bit smaller"
    • Agree Agree x 3
  17. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    The exposure level is slightly different in some of the shots- compare the shed and the fence in the f/4 shots for example.
    It also appears there is some wind, the Oly wide open shot seems to show it in the leaves.

This is not a criticism of OP at all- I really appreciate him taking the time to take the comparison photos and post them!!

What the test tells me is that the lenses are close enough (at least in sharpness) to not worry about that aspect. If you got the Panasonic lens for $99, you don't have to stay up late at night worrying about whether you are losing sharpness in your photos compared to the Oly (and vice versa if you already own the Oly.)

I think if you mainly shoot Panasonic bodies, better to go with the Panasonic for automatic lens corrections and DFD if/when you get a Panasonic body with that feature. If you own an Oly body then better to go with the Oly lens since Oly bodies now correct for Oly CA.
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2015