1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 25mm f/1.4 Leica approved and branded

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by soundimageplus, May 12, 2011.

1. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    Also in an interview with Panasonic on the Photography Blog site - Panasonic G3 Question and Answer | PhotographyBLOG
    This little gem came out.
    Question: And there's a new lens to go with the G3 isn't there?
    JM: “Yes, here's the first working sample of the 25mm f/1.4; really eagerly anticipated and not planned for launch until the second half of this year. It will be Leica approved and branded".
    Start saving now!

• Like Like x 2
  2. mqavila

mqavila Mu-43 Regular

Whoa! I wonder how much the G3 would be if packaged with this as its kit lens?

3. I believe in this case you would be buying a lens with a kit camera.

• Like Like x 2
  4. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    Nice!

Since, contrary to the rumours that this lens would not be a Leica collaboration, (I'm beginning to have my doubts about 4/3 rumors!!)
    I'm wondering just how similar this will be to the existing 25mm f/1.4. Its a great lens but a bit of a monster. Still, the thought of the ultra-fast AF of the GH2 and now the G3 and a Leica designed 25mm f/1.4 is interesting to say the least. Be still my beating heart!!

5. The price point will be interesting. I wonder whether we would paying Canikon 50/1.4 money or are they aiming well above that.

6. tomrock

tomrock Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I bet it will be more than the Canikon. The 4/3 version is around $899 at B&H.

7. That would be my guess, too (unfortunately).

8. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    It has to be more than the PL45, which typically hovers around $750-850. But I hope it's not. :(

C'mon Oly, where's that fast 50, fast std zoom, and super wide prime?

9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Yep, it will be up in that range.

10. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I guess I'll wait for Olympus to make a reasonably priced version. It doesn't have to be an uber great lens. Just a good one.

11. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    Kudos to Pany for keeping up appearances at least with Leica. Only good things can come out of this.

I can't wait and have the 4/3 beast on order. I had once before and love it for all it's idiosyncracies and competence. I expect it will mate nicely to the GH2.....

Bokeh Diem

12. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Man! I want this lens. As others have noted (somewhere around here), it's likely that Panny uses Leica for all lens designs, just that some are branded Leica, and some aren't.

I wonder if the earlier rumors that it wouldn't be Leica were correct, but that Leica, upon seeing the success and demand for the CV 25/.95, decided they wanted their name on a lens of this nature, and Panny agreed, which of course will up the price for the lens. Given that people are paying $1,000+ for MF 25/.95, maybe to get AF they'll pay nearly the same.

Still, we need this lens in the m43 camp. An AF, fast 25.

13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Two reports from Panasonic executives have implied the opposite, that Panasonic designs all of the lenses, but only some designs are approved by Leica. There was a very early report about the first Leica branded lens on a Panasonic compact, where Leica rejected the first design brought forward by Panasonic. More recently, there was an interview where a Panasonic exec implied that Leica was only willing to approve the 45 macro because it was well corrected without software correction, in contrast to the 20/1.7 lens.

As far as I am concerned, the distinction between Pana designed and Leica designed is meaningless. If Leica calls it their own by branding it, then they are saying that Panasonic's design is good enough to be their own design.

14. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Thanks for the clarification. I suppose either way, that little "L" costs something like $300!

But overall, I've been impressed with Panny's lenses, so I'm looking forward to this one!

15. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Who the hell cares who designed it and what name is on it? I don't think many, if anyone, would deny that the current m43 lenses are all pretty good.

The important parts of the rumor are that it will NOT be a pancake and will NOT have image stabilization. Are those true?

If so, it's gonna need HELLA image quality to make we want to supplement or replace the 20/1.7. (Like, not possible image quality)

• Like Like x 1
  16. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    It'll have IS on my EP1 ;)

I care if it's Leica branded, because of the extra $$$ attached to the price :(

17. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I definitely had mixed feelings in reaction to learning about the Leica branding. On the one hand, glad to see Leica actively involved. On the other disappointed that the lens is going to be very expensive!

18. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Looks like the beginning of a koool Internet brawl, 'tween those who'll afford the 25 and the have-not who'll stick with the 20.

I remember wondering of my Leica M3 coming back from factory overhaul in a sealed package. Free-lance rookie, I cashed (caughed?) out a few hundreds, asked about the packaging. The dealer winked, said: "It's to keep Wetzlar aroma"...

This was my first lesson in marketing.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    No doubt price will be a factor. However, for those willing to pay the price, I think it will be mostly about size/weight/focal length and to a lesser extent speed/image quality.

When I had an Olympus OM-2n, I had the OM 40/2 and OM 50/1.2. The 50/1.2 was more expensive and sharper, but the 40 was almost always on the camera because of the size/weight (pancake) and the slightly wider angle of view (personal preference).

20. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I think angle of view will be a determiner. I haven't tried the 17/2.8, but I'm thinking 17+25 instead of the 20, because I really like 50mm equivalent, and would also like to go wider (with the 17). Then if Oly does release a rumored 12, I'd go 12, 17, 25 and 45 (just purchased yesterday). I think the 20 is harder to slot in there, but I could also see some folks just sticking with the 20 all the time.

IQ will be a big piece of it. And cost. The 20 is affordable. The 25 likely not.