1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 25mm 1.4 Question

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by unkabin, Mar 24, 2013.

1. unkabin

unkabin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    Hi all,

I just picked up a Panasonic 25mm 1.4 that chatters on both my GF1 and G5 Panasonic bodies. In bright light whenever the camera focuses, I hear the aperture blades snap (sometimes accompanied by a very quick white flash on the LCD screen). I'm in Minnesota, so by bright, I mean very bright, snowscape.

Also, when the lens is not attached to the camera, if I shake it (not violently), something inside moves. I'm wondering if this is normal, as nothing moves in my 20mm 1.7.

Thanks for the help.

P.S. The lens seems to meter and focus fine.

2. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    When the lens isn't powered the parts inside are not active and thus when you shake you'll hear them. That's normal.

This lens has always exhibited aperture blade chatters on Olympus bodies, this is the first time I hear about it on Panasonic bodies. Did you get it new?

3. unkabin

unkabin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    No, I bought it used. I tried one (a different one) for a few days to see if I would want it. I don't remember anything like this with that lens, but I wasn't in such extreme light conditions. In the house, it doesn't do this at all. Outside if I stop down to F8 or so, it stops doing it, too. It's so bright that I have to stop to four or 5.6 just to reach maximum shutter speed.

4. unkabin

unkabin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    I just took a few more shots. It goes away at 7.1, but I get below max shutter speed much lower.

I'm also noticing that when I take a shot stopped down, no matter the light, I hear the aperture blades pretty clearly. At f/1.4, I hear only shutter. By contrast, I hear no sound of aperture blades from my 20mm when I'm stopped down, no matter how closely I listen. Metering is fine, but I'm concerned that this may be a sign of something in the process of failing.

5. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    I get rattlesnaking on my E-M5 and it seems common. Otherwise the lens works great. I too have not heard of it on Panny bodies.

6. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    I've both heard of it and heard it on Panny bodies. When I got my E-M5, I still had my Panasonic G2 and spent some time comparing the chatter on both. The Olympus chattered slightly more, but not much. And its easy to "force it" to happen on any body if you have a high contrast scene. And Minnesota winters definitely qualify for that.

7. unkabin

unkabin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    MAubrey, that's just was I was wanting to hear. Thanks for the post. As long as I know it's design (even if unfortunate design) and not a failing lens, then I'm fine. An hour after I posted that, it was already stopping, as late afternoon, early evening came on. The scene I was shooting was almost entirely snow and whitish winter sky--not high contrast so much as just extremely bright.

8. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Well, that's more or less what I meant. When the scene is too bright the lens has to stop down to meter and then it opens up again...all extremely quickly. And then if it detects any change is brightness it has to do it all again to re-meter.

9. Ken Foong

Ken Foong New to Mu-43

Dec 17, 2011
    When I got my 25 f1.4 I was thinking that there could be something wrong. Finally I asked this question, if it gives performance then ignore the sound. It is for the eyes not for the ears. Strangely I did not even notice the sound, or rather it did not bothered me at all now. Meanwhile I am enjoying my lens. This is how I got around the "irritation".

10. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    If I'm not mistaken, the parts that move are for the IS system, which the 20mm obviously doesn't have.

Edit: bah, never mind. For some reason I thought that both Pan-Leica lenses had IS.

11. The big difference between the early Olympus bodies versus every other Micro 4/3 camera is the Olys would adjust the aperture in small, multiple steps as the ambient light changed, hence the term "rattlesnake". Panasonic bodies may still open and close the aperture as light levels change but they would do it in one big step.

A Micro 4/3 camera that has the aperture partially stopped down during normal live view because of overly bright conditions will need to open the aperture fully to focus and then stop back down prior to releasing teh shutter. It will then set the lens to the selected aperture to actually take the image before returning again to it's chosen live view aperture setting. On a lens like the PL25 which has noisy aperture blades by design, all these goings-on are quite audible.

12. lartymarf

lartymarf New to Mu-43

Feb 28, 2011
    On my OMD I can induce the rattling if I enter video mode or point at certain high brightness light source. Otherwise, 98% of the time it does not rattle.

If it rattles, shutting down the OMD and turning it back on or removing the lens and reattaching the lens with the body powered off solves the problem.

13. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    It is a well documented trait with the 25, I use mine with the GX1 and I get the ticking noise (described as rattlesnake) and I am now used to it and in no way does it impact performance or IQ and is not loud enough for subjects to pick it up.

You will get used to it and the lens is great, you may however want to make sure you have current firmware on the camera for both body & lens as that can make a difference to performance/noise.

14. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    Used to get this badly on my EP2 but have never heard it on my OMD.
    M

15. unkabin

unkabin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    Thank you for this explanation. Yes, this is what's happening. It's nothing like a rattlesnake. It's one big thunk or snap when I half press the shutter and when I take the photo, only in very bright environments. I'll get used to it. Just wanted to make sure that the lens is okay, since I bought it used. Loving the lens by the way!

16. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Funny, others say this lens chatters a lot on their E-M5, but I hear it rarely with that camera, and I live in the desert southwest. I almost always shoot manual, so maybe that's the reason.