1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 25mm 1.4 AF noise

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Anthonys, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Anthonys

Anthonys Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Sydney
    Anthony
    Just picked up this lens today and discovered the AF noise is a lot louder than I expected, especially after most reviews mention how silent it is. I know there's a rattlesnake noise that's quite common but this is the focusing motor whirring as it changes focus.

Is this normal? My Olympus 45mm is dead silent.

I've found two old threads mentioning AF noise but couldn't find any conclusion. One mentioned it should be silent while the other said it's normal - though think they got mixed up with the rattle snack clicking.

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    It's a while since I used a 25/1.4, but last time I did (on an E-PL5) I don't remember any AF motor noise.

3. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    There is a known AF noise on this lens.
    I've read somewere on the net. It is something to do with the lens previewing always at maximum aperture and when you press the shutter release the noise you ear is the blades closing to the choosed aperture.
    I've returned my first copy of the Pany/Leica 25mm just to found that the second copy have the exact same AF noise. Then I've googled and found somewere a review of this lens saying that it is a "normal" noise.

4. Anthonys

Anthonys Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Sydney
    Anthony
    That may well be the rattle snake noise. I think the sound I'm hearing is just the focus motor. I may as well return and see if the next one has it. Will post back my findings for future reference. Thanks!

5. stripedrex

stripedrex Do or do not. There is no try.

Jun 8, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Alex
    Not 100% sure but I think it's when aperture changes not autofocus. I use this lens a lot with video, usually with aperture locked, and don't have issues on panasonnic or olympus bodies. 20mm is a different story =).

6. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    Mine makes a slight noise, about like the 75mm. Also, you can definitely hear the aperture close down. If the AF is buzzing, you have a problem.

7. Anthonys

Anthonys Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Sydney
    Anthony
    Interestingly someone on dpreview forums told me there may be a problem with it. I actually suspect it's normal, just surprised it wasn't as quiet at the Oly 45mm as that's what I expected from the reviews. I don't have the 75mm to compare with. I'm going to return it for another just to be sure next week. He's the test the guy on dpreview told me to do:

8. Anthonys

Anthonys Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Sydney
    Anthony
    Just an update for future reference.

After finally getting a refund on the first lens I purchased I got another 25mm today from a local supplier (making it easier to return and offering a better warranty).

It's still a little noisy when focussing but suspect this is normal. I have to put my ear close and focus on something near. In movie mode it is completely silent though. My first copy may have been considered normal too, though I remember it was a little louder than this one.

9. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    It's the aperture.

Mine is the aperture making noise, when I press the shutter button halfway it autofocuses and stops down the aperture which is making the noise. Check your copy out by going outside in a sunny day and halfway press your shutter button, then go inside to a fairly dark room (without strong window light) and halfway press your shutter button. My E-M5 and 25mm is like night and day in lens noise in these two settings.

10. Anthonys

Anthonys Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Sydney
    Anthony
    I don't hear the aperture moving at all but I'm using a GX1 which I think doesn't provide the exposure preview that the EM5 does.

The only noise is the AF motor as it happens in dark rooms and outside, it's pretty quiet though, just expected it to be silent. The 20mm pancake isn't that much louder really. The main difference is in video mode, when the PL25mm goes silent.

11. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    My AF, in dark rooms with no strong window light, is completely silent (or seriously, my hearing could be worse than yours). This is the environment where I need a low light lens so it works out great for me. Maybe in video mode it stops down the aperture and keeps it stopped down?

12. Anthonys

Anthonys Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Sydney
    Anthony
    Yes, when I say you can hear it you have to put your ear up to the camera ;)

13. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    My hearings not as good as yours, obviously. I loose higher pitched frequencies most of the time. I have to wear a wind up timer around my neck because my ovens alarm is too high pitched for me to hear it in another room. :frown: