1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 25 mm & rattlesnaking noise

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by SojiOkita, May 29, 2014.

1. SojiOkita

SojiOkita Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    Hi everyone.

I just got my Panasonic 25 mm f/1.4 and whereas the lens seems pretty good, on my E-M10 I sometimes get the "rattlesnaking noise" (I can see the aperture blades moving on the lens).

I've read some things about it but what I don't know is if I would have this noise with any Pansonic 25 lens, or if that is just the case on some defective ones?
    I also find that the AF motor is pretty noisy.

2. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    No rattlesnake noise when coupled to my EM5, or EP5.

3. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I get Rattlesnaking on the EM5...nothing unusual. Sometimes the 45 does the same.

4. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    My PL25 rattlesnakes on my E-M1 and the E-M5 I had before it. It's normal from everything I've read about.

5. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    What do you mean by the AF motor is pretty noisy? Is should not be any noisier than any other lens. And I am assuming that this is a separate issue from your concerns about rattlesnaking?

--Ken

6. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    It is the aperture actuator that you hear. I verified this by setting my GX7 to MF - when the shutter release is pressed halfway I can hear the aperture actuator. AFIK, the rattlesnaking is common with the 25/1.4 on Olympus bodies.

7. zlatko-photo

zlatko-photo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2014
    Does the rattlesnaking occur even when one uses Auto ISO? Presumably the noise is from the aperture blades constantly adjusting to deliver a more constant image to the EVF/LCD. Is it possible that Auto ISO helps to minimize this? Just wondering -- I don't have the lens but am considering it.

8. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    Oly body keeps the aperture at 2.8 during live view. When you focus it will open the aperture wide open and when it has locked the focus the aperture closes back to 2.8 until you fully press the shutter release. I believe that is the noise you hear during focusing.

• Like Like x 1
  9. zlatko-photo

Jan 8, 2014
    Does the same happen when you use the EVF (rather than live view)?

10. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    u4/3 cameras are live view whether you are viewing the LCD or using an EFV.

11. SojiOkita

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    I read that the "live view boost" mode option can have an effect on weather you have or get the ratllesnaking noise.
    (if it is ON - like I want it to be - you get the noise more often)

12. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    PL25 is my most used lens on E-M10. It does not rattle at all. Make sure to turn "flicker reduction" off. It's auto by default.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

• Like Like x 1
  13. SojiOkita

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    Is there really a link with "flicker reduction"?
    I set it to OFF but today I didn't get any rattlesnaking noise at all (whatever the settings).

What is your "live view boost" setting?

My main concern is that the aperture ring opening and closing could make the lens last less time.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Dsidote

Dsidote Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 22, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Dave
    I get the rattlesnake noise with my EM5 and the P25 when the camera is pointed at a very bright scene. I have live view boost off.

Dave

15. zlatko-photo

Jan 8, 2014
    Surely there must be some way to get to the bottom of this and to verify across various owners' cameras what works to get rid of the noise and what doesn't. :confused:

In this video (2 years ago with the E-M5), we hear the rattlesnaking noise very clearly (and it sounds very annoying):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnVuYfVYUsU

And in this 2nd video, published the same day as the above, the same person with the same camera and (presumably) the same lens shows it not making the rattlesnaking noise:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tRXijEnxgA

One of the commenters after the 2nd video suggests that the reason for the change in the 2nd video is that Auto ISO was turned on. Unfortunately we don't see whether or not Auto ISO was turned on in the first video. And unfortunately there is no followup by the video poster to verify one way or the other. On the positive side, the two videos suggest that there is in fact SOMETHING that will cause the rattlesnaking to turn off. We're just not sure what.

16. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Live boost is off but it doesn't matte. Only turning off flicker reduction makes a difference.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

Received my 25mm f1.4 today and the first thing I noticed was that rattlesnaking on my EM5. Arrgghh.

18. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    This issue was well discussed when it the lens first arrived. It happens on oly bodies. I used to have it on my E PL3 and it was pretty noisy. I got used to it though. There was variation in when it happened but I never worked out how to fix it. Since sold the PL25 and have the Oly 25. No noise but not f1.4 either!

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

19. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

Yes I nearly went for the new Oly 25mm. My Sigma 30mm f2.8 would also rattlesnake on the EM5. I'll see how I get on with the PL25. So far I've noticed that it's most prone to rattlesnaking in the house (no lights one). Even my 45mm f1.8 will rattlesnake occasionally but the noise isn't as loud. I suppose it's down to the design of the aperture blades. Saying all that the the PL25 renders beautifully. Got holidays in Wales and Cornwall coming up so I'll see how the rattle snaking gets on. We're planning on going to the zoo. Will the rattle snaking scare the animals? :biggrin:

20. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    I also ear the aperture blades noise on my Panasonic G5.
    I've tried 2 copies of this lens and got the same. It is perfectly normal on this lens. It is not a defect.