Panasonic 20mm with 14-42mm for video?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by jayhawk92, Aug 27, 2012.

1. jayhawk92

jayhawk92 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 24, 2012

I bought my G3 to be a stills and video camera in one package. Since we'll be taking lots of pictures of our baby that's due next week, I need some advice. Lots of the pictures will be in low light so I need a fast lens. I'm drawn to the 20mm for obvious reasons, but I have a couple of concerns.

1) Face distortion for up close shots, at what distance will this become a problem?
    ) Video AF noise.

So, if face distortion won't be too much of a problem, what do you think about the 20mm and using the 14-42 when I know video is a priority? How well does the 14-42mm handle video? I also am very interestd in the 25mm 1.4, but I just love the pancake size of the 20mm. If you must sway me to the 25mm, do so :smile:
  2. griswoldo

griswoldo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    I don't have the 20mm, but from what I've heard the lens focus mechanism is audible while shooting video (as well as being rather slow). I won't hold to that statement though since, like I said, I don't actually have the lens. This is actually the main reason I'm looking to get the 25mm instead of the 20 - I personally couldn't care less about the physical size difference :cool:

If you want to test out any possible edge distortion, just set your zoom to 20mm and do some test shots. That should give you a reasonably good idea as to how that angle will serve your needs.

I do have the G3 and the 14-42 lens and it works out quite nicely for video. It focuses reasonably quickly and quietly - I've never heard any rattles or what have you. I've shot hours of video since my son was born last year and have been able to get some good results. The OIS is a benefit the primes don't have, although it's not as vital for wider focal lengths.

In the chaos of the delivery room I even used the 14-42 to do all my photo taking too, since I certainly didn't have time to change lenses. They turned out better than I expected, but I'm definitely looking to pick up that 25 before my next kid arrives - whenever that may be. Good luck!