1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 20mm vII issue

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Frankgr, May 15, 2016.

1. Frankgr

Frankgr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2014
    I have a question re the 20mm V2 panasonic lens. When I place a finger on the front element, it can wiggle. There is a bit of movement. Is this 'normal', or is it a 'loose' front element & in need of repair?
    My 42.5mm lumix lens rattles but that is apparently ok 'cos it has image stabilization inside but not the 20mm
    Thanks

2. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I checked the V1 version and using two fingers on the borders I can feel a very little movement. In both versions the central part needs to move when it focuses. So it may be normal, it just depends on how much it moves.

3. Frankgr

Frankgr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2014
    Thanks. I'll see if anyone else replies and if not try and get to a store to se another unit if they have one in stock

4. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    The plastic surrounding the front element does move, this is normal.

5. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    I answered this question and asked for more information here:
    For those with new Panasonic bodies: 20mm f1.7 focus speed improved?

what is "a bit of movement" ... also back there I mentioned the point of the front assembly moving as part of how it focuses ... you didn't respond

the points I wrote there are (again here)
    so can you clear up "some movement" in what is intended to be a moving part?

also, my sigma 30mmf2.8 rattles ... it doesn't have IS ... its the focusing elements moving.

Last edited: May 16, 2016
  6. Frankgr

Frankgr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2014
    Apologies. I missed your original reply. No notifications received from that thread. Just posted this there too.
    I have version 2.
    Thanks for cleaning pdf
    The movement is there whether I apply slight finger pressure to the glass or to the plastic around it. It's an In/Out movement. Both move. And it's audible too.
    Turning the camera on/off they both move.
    From your descriptions it sounds like it may be normal.

7. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Hi

well that's frustrating!

if both move (the glass inside its plastic cylinder) but no sign of the glass element moving (and I hope you put a tissue between your finger and the glass element) then I'd say its totally ok .. again, it should not be 'much' movement ... less than you can measure and perhaps just enough to see or even just feel.

I'd say you're A-Ok

Best wishes

8. BLT

BLT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    London
    James
    It's totally normal.
    I've had both versions of the 20mm and they both have the very noticeable movement you describe.
    It's just the way the focus mechanisms work.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Frankgr

Frankgr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2014
    Thanks all