Panasonic 20mm v 14-45 lens

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by chrism_scotland, Jul 5, 2011.

1. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Hi folks,

Looking for a little advice, I've been wanting to add to my Olympus 17mm pancake lens that I bought with my EP1.

I've added a 135mm manual Hexanon as I don't use telephoto a lot and looking to add a manual 50mm/57mm also.

But I've been looking at adding another native lens as I do like the 17mm, especially the tiny size but sometimes I feel like I'd like something a little different!

I was looking to purchase the Oly 14-42MK2 but in the UK these seem quite pricey and rarely seem to come up used, the Panasonic 14-45 is another I've had my eye on as I know that its meant to be a cracking kit lens and its also fairly cheap used.

I also like the Panny 20mm partly because of its size and also because I know its meant to be a cracker of a lens, it would cost me almost double that of the 14-45 (unless I find a used one) but I'm a bit conflicted whether to buy the 14-45 or 20mm, any advice or anyone whos had to make a similar choice would be great!
  2. Only GF-1 kit I could find came with the 14-45mm. Was looking for the 20mm kit. Ends up I'm really liking the 14-45mm. When the price dropped I picked up a 20mm. Outside of the size issue both have uses where one is better suited than the other. Personally I would purchase the less expensive, better price valued lens 1st. Then hope the other lens becomes available for a decent cost. Unless you have a specific need for one or the other lens.
  3. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Just FYI, there's one currently for sale here in the marketplace...