Panasonic 20mm replacement help

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Empireme, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
    I've realized that I'm not in love with my 20mm - I don't LOVE the pictures it makes. Also, I would much rather have a wide angle zoom for more functionality after my recent trip to San Diego with my family.

So I'm left with the question, which wide angle zoom is a good replacement for my 20? Anyone else replace with their 20 for something more spectacular? And I know the love people have for the 20 so it's not a knock on the lens at all. Much like everything else, it's just a matter of personal opinion. And since I don't have any experiences with the other lenses out there, I would like to know yours!

I also think in the future, I'll be purchasing the PL25 but for right now I would like the functionality of a zoom.

2. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
    Anyone know when the new panasonic zoom's coming out?

3. Herb

Herb Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2011
    new zoom

I have the 4/3 14-50 Leica/pana zoom with a m4/3 adapter. Wonderful lens, but quite large. It will autofocus, but is pretty slow. I actually prefer manual focus for such lenses, and I use some leica 35mm lenses the same way, gives me a really big stable of lenses for the G3.

With the adapter, you won't get the fast autofocus, but if you don't need that, the adapter and prime Leica lenses are pretty hard to beat, especially since you are using the center of the lens that was designed for a format twice as large.

4. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    Cloverdale,CA
    I have the 14-42 (oly), 9-18 (oly m4/3) and the 20mm. I just got my 9-18 and love it for landscape shots which are my thing right now. BUT,

The other day I took some shots with my 14-42 then took the same shots with my 20mm. When I got home I looked at them on the computer and I had a couple shots with the 20 that just redefined contrast to me. The best shots of the nearly 3000 that I've taken with these lens have been from the 20mm. Not that the other lenses aren't really good because they are if you shoot them between f4 and f8 (esp f5.6).

To directly answer your question you should consider the 9-18, the perspective is really cool.

Check out that new 12-50 too, I'm hearing really good things there.

Dan

5. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
    Because I shoot mainly pictures of my baby and children I definitely need a fast autofocus.

6. gfspencer

gfspencer Mu-43 Regular

Aug 24, 2011
    North Carolina
    Forget the zoom. Concentrate on the PL25. I have a 20 and a 25. I have several manual zooms. Since I got the PL25 I haven't used anything else.

7. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
    So basically the responses are:

There are no good zooms.

And why in the world is the Olympus 14-35mm so freaking expensive? $2k? Anyone use it? Or have examples of pictures from the lens?

8. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    you mean the 4/3 zoom... It is a SHQ (Super High Quality)
    READ: The Highest IQ possible with an very fast f/stop.....Highly corrected and will last past your lifetime.

9. dmc

dmc Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2011
    Beijing
    So, to be clear, the 20 is not wide enough, correct? Because it is a superb lens. So the Panny 7 to 14 should tick your boxes, correct? Or maybe I'm missing something.

10. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    You say you want a wide angle zoom, but then you say that you want something to replace your 20mm, which is not wide angle. If you want a wide angle zoom, there's the Panasonic 7-14mm or Olympus 9-18mm. If you mean that you want a midrange zoom, then your only real choices are the various 14-42mm kit lenses, the slightly higher quality 14-45mm Panasonic, or the new Olympus 12-50mm. There's a big expo in about a week, but overall don't bother waiting around for rumored/leaked/teaser lenses that don't exist yet. If the lens isn't announced in the next two weeks as available, consider it vaporware, and don't lose any sleep obsessing over it. Even if it's announced this month, you'll still have to wait for distribution channels to make it available for purchase.

What about the 20mm lens do you not like? If you're unhappy with the focal length, then it's one thing, but if you're unhappy with the lens optically, then you're going to be sorely disappointed with a zoom, and may have unrealistic expectations and are misusing your equipment.

11. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
    At the time when I wrote my post, I didn't realize my own dissatisfaction with the lens. I knew that after looking at the images that my olympus 45mm took, that I loved THAT lens. But I didn't love the look from the 20mm.

And after some more thought and taking a look at the pictures again from my recent trip to SD, I realized I didn't enjoy the focal length - that a wide angle lens would've been more able at taking in the images in the way that I perceived them.

Perhaps it's looking at some amazing pictures on here and thinking it's the equipment not the photographer. Perhaps it's just GAS, lol. Or maybe learning photography is also learning about the capabilities of a lens and to use the best equipment available for the environment and because I'm new to this amazing hobby I have yet to learn these lessons.

And so maybe schnitz is right in saying that I have unrealistic expectations in my equipment because I don't know the limitations of them. But I think getting a wide angle zoom will teach me about equipment and their limitations and capabilities in order for me to be really happy with my images.

And I really appreciate all the responses on here so far....

So I guess a better question is which one is "better" optically, the olympus or panasonic?

I want to eventually "trade-up" from my 20mm to the 25mm later. And for now d

12. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    To be honest, if this is an option, it sounds like you should rent both a normal (one of the kit 14-42s) and a wide angle zoom before you spend the cash on one of the wide angle zooms - they are not inexpensive.

13. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
    I already own the kit lens... the 14-45mm that came with my GH2

14. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    So, you want an honest to goodness wide angle zoom, since you arguably have the best midrange zoom available in m4/3 mount. Still, you can use the 14-45mm lens as a baseline. Do you enjoy the image quality of the lens? Are you happy with the zoom range? Is 14mm wide enough for you?

For true wide angle lenses, the Panasonic 7-14mm is superior to the Olympus 9-18mm as far as performance, but its size and price reflect it. The 9-18mm is not quite as wide, but you may like the range better, and it's still a solid performer.

I think Photozone does a decent job of reviewing lenses, although even a "dog" lens can be well loved; pure optical quality is only part of the story. The Olympus 17mm is a perfect example of this.
    Panasonic Lumix G 7-14mm f/4 ASPH - Review / Test Report
    Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 9-18mm f/4-5.6 ED - Review / Test Report

15. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    I'm not sure at all a wide angle zoom is either what you need or that you'll learn what you imagine you'll learn just because you have one. Why you aren't considering a 14mm or 12mm prime?