1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 20mm or Olympus 25mm

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by colbycheese, Apr 16, 2014.

1. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    So i currently have the Panasonic 25mm that i am planning on getting rid of because i need something more lightweight. I can't decide what lens i should trade it for. Which one is the better of the 2? They are both similarly priced, now i just need to pick one of them. I am looking for the lightest combo either with my G3 or my EPM1 (which i may get rid of as well)
    Edit: My options are as follows:

1.Trade in the Panasonic 25 and 14-42 kit lens at local store and order the 25mm olympus
    2. Get Panasonic 20mm in a month or 2 when i have the money
    3. Get Panasonic 20mm and Trade in 25mm and 14-42 kit lens to buy one of the sigma lenses

What do you think?

2. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Didn't we just see this thread? 136g for the Olympus vs 87g for the Panasonic. If you wan't lightest, buy the Panasonic. They are both excellent but of different focal lengths. 40mm equivalent is significantly different than 50mm equivalent. If you want wider than you have, buy the Panasonic. If you want the focal length you have, buy the Olympus.

3. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    Did you see my edit? I have 3 choices

4. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Ok, this wasn't an option, but trading in at your local store is probably not the best idea. Sell the 25 and 14-42 in the sell forums here, save just a bit, and get the P20, and Sigma 30 and 60 (or P14, P20, and S60, either would be a nice 3 prime kit). Among the 3 options you listed I would say 2, keep the PL25, save for the P20 and buy it... only because I don't think I have it in me to advise taking a bath on the PL25.

5. Anthonys

Anthonys Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Sydney
    Anthony
    You won't get much for trading them in, better to sell privately.

Anyway, aside from obvious difference in focal length: the olympus will be quicker and quieter to focus (better for video), the panasonic will be smaller and lighter. Both capable of producing great results.

If you want to reduce weight why would you go and then buy the sigma lenses? Seems like you'd be back where you started. If you just want the lightest kit look at the 12-32 pancake.

6. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Is this the PL25 you were complaining about a haze or some other issue with the front element. If it is, then maybe that's why you aren't selling it here?

7. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    yes, this is why i am not selling it here. I'm afraid no one will want to buy it because of the haze I was seeing. I am not sure if i'd be able to sell it for any more here.

8. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Well if that's the case your gonna have a hard time getting a decent amount for it anywhere...
    Ebay and it will end up being an issue unless you divulge in which case you'll most likely get very little.
    Camera store, more than likely they'll find the issue and won't want it, or offer you 10-20% of it's used value.
    Craig's list or similar you have to hope it's not noticed, and then still be able to live with yourself for taking advantage of someone.
    Did you buy it new or used?
    You either fix it, or just use it, but with the issue it has currently I can't see any way of selling and not losing money or moral standing.

9. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Is this haze impacting your images? Or does it just look unappealing?

--Ken

10. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    I have both the O25 and P20 right now, trying to decide which to sell. If I had a medium or large m4/3 camera, I'd absolutely keep the O25, it's fantastic. But I have a GM1, and the minuscule size of the camera makes me lean towards the P20.

11. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Thanks for not trying to pass off a bad lens on the community :smile:

I only have the P20 which is excellent, but I hear the O25 is excellent as well. Go for whatever FL you like best is my suggestion. And if you go for any of the Sigmas... I recently picked up the 60 and it is excellent. Super sharp, lots of pop and contrast. Highly recommended.

12. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Oh no, not this thread again. (had to say it man, sorry )