Panasonic 20mm ND Filter

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by s0nus, May 25, 2012.

1. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Chicago
    I frequently hit my 1/2000s minimum shutter speed on my EPL1 when trying to shoot with the 20mm wide open in bright sun, so I was thinking of giving the lens some "sunglasses".

Has anyone slapped an ND filter in front of their Panny, and if so, any recommendations?

2. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    Hoya 46mm 2-stop ND filter

It worked fine for sunny days when I needed it- although I use mine on my Pen E-P2 which maxes out at 1/4000... so for you maybe a 3-stop ND filter/.9?

I live in the pacific northwest, so "sunny" is a relative term.

3. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  4. ggibson

ggibson Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    You could also try a circular polarizing lens (CPL), which is often nice to have in bright situations for reducing reflected light and boosting contrast/saturation.

5. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    A CPL will give you between 1 and 1.5 stops in my experience. If you want to shoot wide open you'll need more than that. I'd go with at least a two stop ND if not three.

6. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    I never bought filters for my 20mm cause i don't have other 46mm thread lenses. I wanted tot gett an adapter but you cant use converter rings with it because of the way it closes, from what ive heard.

Anyone have any recs for something that will work on both the 45mm and the 20mm?

7. mister_roboto

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    20mm lens = 46mm filter 45mm lens = 37mm filter

You'd use a 46mm filter, and a 37-46mm step-up ring, so you could use it on the 45mm lens too.

Or if you other existing filters, like a 52mm, you'd need 2 step-up rings: 46-52, 37-52

Although, what do you mean by "the way it closes?"

8. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    oh, right. I assumed the 45mm had a larger thread because the glass was so much bigger.

closes= when you turn the camera off and the front element goes flush witth the rest of it, i heard it causes problems with step up rings (i was thinking of doing 46mm to 58mm step up at the time).

9. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I use polarizers and ND filters all the time on mine and works great.

10. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    When I was looking for a good polariser I ended up with a Marumi Super CPL. I got one of their ND8 filters at the same time. It seems good and is relatively inexpensive. Available in ND2 ND4 ND8 in 46mm. Link here

@drizek - my 20mm definitely needs some kind of stand off ring before a step up ring.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Justified_Sinner

Justified_Sinner Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    Dauvit Alexander
    I bought a "Variable ND" filter some time back and it is very odd indeed. It certainly DOES work as an ND filter but at some settings it completely changes the colour of the shot. Also, it doesn't go from "0" to very dark, but from not-too-dark to very dark. It might be worth considering. I've been using it on my Voigtlander 25mm f0.95 for the very same reasons.

12. mister_roboto

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    AH I see. I hadn't thought of that, I don't use a step up ring on mine. It looks like would do that, and probably wouldn't be that great for the motor.

13. drathquark

drathquark Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2012
    UK
    I use a step up ring on mine for doing long exposures (ND110, i.e. 10 stop ND), it does work, and stays on fine when turning off and on, though as mister_roboto says it might not be the best for the motor doing that (I never thought about that until a similar discussion came up recently).

14. ggibson

ggibson Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    Ditto. Used a 46-52mm step up for years on mine now. No problems so far, but I assume no liability :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  15. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Chicago
    Thanks for all the replies everyone!

I'm not sure why a step-up ring would be a problem - people thread lens hoods on their 20mms all the time, which uses the filter threads. I would think a step up ring left on the lens can act as a small lens hood.

I think I want to go the direction of having a ND filter that I can mount natively on my 14-150mm and with a step-up ring on the 20mm.

16. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    The idea is that the step up ring goes from 46mm on the threads immediately to whatever size it is stepping up to. I'm guessing that the hood doesn't butt directly up against the filter threads and therefore allows the lens to retract properly. That said, I've found that I can use a 46mm-49mm step up ring with mine, seemingly without issue, provided I screw it on while the camera is powered off and only just so its snug. When powered on the lens extends a small amount and the ring can be tightened down more, but I just leave it slightly loose.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Exactly what I do. Hasn't been a problem.
    I have a set of 49mm filters that I got for peanuts at a local camera store (NOS Vivitar from the '80's). 4xND, cross-screen, C-PL, UV. Really useful, because with a step-up ring I can use them on my 20/1.7, 14/2.5, and natively on an OM50/1.4.
    A great deal of my photography is in the desert in Qatar or the mountains in New Zealand, and the ND really helps in these very bright conditions.

Just noticed that the Panny 45-175X lens also has 46mm thread, yet another reason why this may be my next lens purchase......

18. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Chicago
    Ah I see. So in other words, a lens hood grows in diameter more gradually, while a step up ring grows in diameter instantaneously at right angles. Thanks for the clarification.

19. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    I use a Kenko Zeta 52mm NDX8 (3-stop, or ND 0.9) that I got in Europe. It's great, I didn't see any color shift between shots with vs without. I would go for some multicoated lenses since these filters are often used in sunny situations.

3 stops is about right if you're at 1/2000 and you have to close it down a little already.

I also ordered a Hoya Pro1D NDX16 (6-stop, ND 1.8) from B&H, but that for longer exposures.

20. The Minimalist

The Minimalist Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2011
    I've got the Panasonic ND8 filter and a Hoya Linear polarizing filter, both works well with all three of my prime lenses. I do have the 37-46mm step up ring mounted on the Oy 45mm. I also recomend a hood to cut any glare.