Panasonic 20mm f1.7 questions

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by ajm80031, Apr 6, 2010.

1. ajm80031

ajm80031 Mu-43 Regular

I've just joined mu-43 and am looking for info on faster lenses for my Panasonic GH-1, which currently has only the 'kit' 14-140mm lens. Back in my film days I used to shoot primarily with a 50mm F1.8 and a 28mm f2.8. I'd like to find something generally along the lines of those lenses for the GH-1. For now I'd like to stick with 'native' u4/3 lenses that work with the camera's autofocus.

Reading through the posts here it sounds like the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 is very well liked for stills. Has anyone been using this lens for video? I understand that the 20mm isn't optimized for video in that it doesn't have the ultra-quiet focus and aperture motors that the 14-140 has. That isn't really an issue for me as I typically shoot video on full manual mode and will have the aperture and focus set before I start filming. I'm more interested in issues like low-light performance, depth-of-field control, etc. If you're using this lens for video, I'd like to hear back from you.

Another question on the 20mm: I see it has a 46mm filter thread. Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a 46mm adapter ring for a Cokin P-series filter holder that would allow it to be used with this lens?

On the 14-140 I've been using a Cokin P-series filter filter holder along with neutral density filters to be able to use wider apertures when shooting video at 1/60th of a second (to maintain some motion blur) as without the ND filters I have to stop way down when shooting in bright light. As far as I can tell, Cokin doesn't seem to sell a 46mm adapter ring for the P-series holder, only the A-series.

While I could certainly buy dedicated ND filters for the 46mm thread, it would be nice to be able to use the other P-series filters (primarily graduated ND filters) I already own. I'm suspecting I may have to stack adapters to make this work.