Panasonic 20mm f1.7 lens

Blu-by-u

Mu-43 Regular
Mod....hmmmm, nah I don't think so...then BB would have to get a discount and we don't want to spoil her.....
Errrr..how about we both start a forum .. then we can say we are owners. Think can qualify for that discount?

Think I better get my fingers working and start visiting all available 4/3 and :43: forums WTS section.. may be faster in getting this then waiting for the discount.

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
I thought about making a buyers group. I have that at a Vets Forum. We pool our funds together and do a mass buy...discounts really add up. The good thing is, if we did it here, we could make orders and the stuff could all be different but who knows how to make it work as we are spread out all over the world.
The Vets Forum, we are all in the same local....hmmmmm Maybe something could actually work.....

Blu-by-u

Mu-43 Regular
I am 1/2 way round the world from you..It's now 10.38 in the morning. Unless the main company concern is willing to give us a world wide discount coupon, I doubt the logistics will work.

Rudi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Rudi,
You get Admin respect here. In fact every member gets that but poor ole' me.
I'm just the underpaid janitor. That's why I need 60%.
I'm trying to get an M9 from Amin but it ain't looking to good....
I see that our pay grades are in the same ballpark. :wink:

jimevidon

Mu-43 Regular
I bit the bullet and ordered the Panasonic f 1.7 20mm pancake lens after reviewing the galleries on the lens forum. While the Oly produced nice results, the Panny, even though it has narrower field of view produced sharper images with a higher contrast; both very important to me. The larger aperture, while not a priority for me is also a plus.
Jim

Iconindustries

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Hey Jim I'm sure its one investment you wont regret. Back when I bought my GF1 and the 20mm, the 20mm was a lot less than what it is now -increasing in value. For the body it has gone the other way and decreased in value.

jimevidon

Mu-43 Regular
I suspect that the dramatic price drop on the body is due to dealers dumping them in anticipation of the GF2 or whatever it will be called to be shown at Photokina. That is why I bought the GF1 now. I buy my cars the same way at the end of the model year.

linkedit

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I suspect that the dramatic price drop on the body is due to dealers dumping them in anticipation of the GF2 or whatever it will be called to be shown at Photokina. That is why I bought the GF1 now. I buy my cars the same way at the end of the model year.
There was a thread on dpreview that the GF1 will not be announced at photokina. Supposedly Panasonic is going to hold off until Q1 2011. There should be some nice deals on the GF1 this holiday season. :smile:

The Panasonic GH2 will be unveiled at Photokina though. I'm going to try to make time to attend the Photo Expo in NYC at the end of OCT to get a look at the GH2.

panystac

Mu-43 Regular
I'm not sure why, but the Panasonic G-series cameras are often cheaper here in Japan than in the USA (and even more so than elsewhere!!),
while generally, photographics are cheaper in the US than in Japan.

e.g.
GF1 with 20mm F1.7 $530 (equiv)
GH1 with 14-45mm $490 (equiv)

I bought a GH1 with 14-140mm last weekend for 67,000yen (under $800USD)

I also saw a GH1 body for $415 (equiv)

As an alternative to the 20mm F1.7, Panasonic have just announced a new 14mm F2.8

panystac

Mu-43 Regular
Ahh, so those eBay sellers selling the Japan-only colors (pink and white) are making a pretty penny, then?
I'm not sure if those very cheap GF1s are just the pink and white ones, but that possible..... :wink:

Another factor is that the Japanese domestic G-series have Japanese language menu only, so the firmware needs to be hacked to get English on the menu. And they will only hack they have a pre July 2010 date.

And with the GH1s the newer build dates are black ones, so it's mainly the Red & Gold GH1s that are pre July 2010 suitable for hacking. (Mine is a Gold one, and working perfectly with Engish menu!!!!!)

photoSmart42

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I am now looking to buy a 20mm Panasonic pancake lens. Are there any recommendations for best price. So far the price appears to be a fixed $345 to $350 and even higher on eBay. If I have to bite the bullet, I will, but I was hoping to find a lower price.
I bought my 20/1.7 from a forum member about a year ago for $325, along with my GH1+kit lens which I picked up for $999! If you look around forum buy&sell sections like ours, you'll run across better deals if you don't mind getting some slightly used lenses. I just saw one on one of the forums for $295, and I'm sure it's negotiable. Do your research and your efforts will be rewarded.

Reactions: BBW

Vidar

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Ok. I finally bought this lens for my E-P1.. It is getting too dark for my 17mm now, and I don´t want to use flash. Waiting for it in the mail.. Sure it will be good.

Jackson Miller

Mu-43 Rookie
I was about to purchase a PERFECT condition used one for 270 bucks! Then someone else snatched it and I still got one for 300. Both of those were amazon used sellers.