Panasonic 20mm f1.7 lens

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by jimevidon, Sep 12, 2010.

1. jimevidon

jimevidon Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2010
    I just got my GF1 with the normal zoom kit lens and it is a terrific little camera; not quite up to the Leica M8 nor even near my Nikon D300, but for the size, price and features, it is excellent. I bought it as a camera to take on trips and as a backup to the Leica using the M mount to M43 adapter.

I am now looking to buy a 20mm Panasonic pancake lens. Are there any recommendations for best price. So far the price appears to be a fixed $345 to $350 and even higher on eBay. If I have to bite the bullet, I will, but I was hoping to find a lower price.

Jim:

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Jim,
    Sadly, that's about the going rate for the 20mm.
    There are deals where you can get the GF1 body and the 20 for around $550.00 or so.
    It might be an idea to do that, keep the lens and sell the body.
    You could get $300-$350 easy for the GF1 body.

3. jimevidon

jimevidon Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2010
    Thanks for the response. By the way,you have a nice gallery.
    Jim

4. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Thanks Jim....
    Likewise I'm sure.....

5. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    You own Leica equipment and you feel that $350 for a lens is a little high?

I've been following the price of the 20mm and it's been steadily coming down. Its $348.43 on Amazon right now. If you can wait till after Photokina i'll bet that the price will come down even further.

All the folks that by gear mail order, who do you use? I've been pretty much using Amazon for everything. Typically the item ships with free shipping and of course, no tax. Plus they take *anything* back with no hassles.

6. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I don't think the price will drop much at all.
    The 20 is the benchmark lens in this format.
    Other's will hopefully come along but not in that focal length.

7. linkedit

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    Panasonic could announce another more "high end" lens and drop the price on the 20 to get more people interested in m4/3. Anything can happen.

The price has been dropping for the last 2 months that I've been keeping an eye on it. I don't see why that would stop.

8. jimevidon

jimevidon Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2010
    linkedit,
    I normally use B&H, & Adorama, and have for years. I also check Samy's but in my area they have to charge tax. But sometimes their price is low enough that, as with my GF1 with EVF finder and kit zoom lens, that it still paid to pay the tax since shipping was free and fast. As for B&H and Adorama,shipping on many items is free and since I don't live in NY, I don't have to pay tax. Their return policy is very reliable.

9. linkedit

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    I am itching to get this lens. I may just end up driving over to B&H (I live about 30 mins from them) and pay the tax on the sale for instant gratification.

Years ago before they were at their current location and in a little hole in the wall store it was common practice for people from out of state to buy a camera then the store would ship the empty boxes to their house to save tax and let the customer walk out of the store with the camera

10. Jonkobeck

Jonkobeck Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2010
    New York City
    Where can you buy the body and lens for $550.00 ?

11. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    Watch 43rumors.com for announcements or go through some older posts and check. Having a spare body is a nice deal if you can afford it.

12. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    Let's not forget that the 20/1.7 was $390 not that long ago... :smile:

13. HelenOster

HelenOster Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 1, 2010
    New York, NY
    Thanks so much for the recommendation - BTW the return periods for items ordered from Adorama Camera has now been increased from 14 days to a full 30 days from the date of delivery!

If you ever need any advice or after-sales support with an order from Adorama, please don't hesitate to drop me an email: HelenO@adorama.com

14. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Feel free to send us 50% off coupons for lenses and stuff ;)

15. MEG3020

MEG3020 New to Mu-43

Sep 9, 2010
    Same here, i can use that coupon for a 20mm Panasonic pancake lens. :wink:

16. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Of course that discount is 60% for Admins....

17. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    I'm an Admin on another photography forum, does that count? :biggrin: If it helps, I don't need a 20mm f/1.7, it's the Panny 7-14mm that I want. :smile:

18. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Rudi,
    You get Admin respect here. In fact every member gets that but poor ole' me.
    I'm just the underpaid janitor. That's why I need 60%.
    I'm trying to get an M9 from Amin but it ain't looking to good....

19. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Well, believe it or not that lens has also been sold right here on the Members Marketplace, so you never know.:wink:

20. Blu-by-u

Blu-by-u Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2010
    Selangor, Malaysia
    Not an admin but a mod in another forum..does that mean I qualify for that 60% also? I am also looking for this 20/1.7.