Panasonic 20mm f1,7 correction in PS

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by macjansson, Jan 14, 2011.

1. macjansson

macjansson Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2011
    Sweden
    I use the 20mm on an EP1-body. I read that there's no in camera correction of barrel distortion or CA. I tried to correct this i PS but the image before correction is much sharper an crispier than after correction. The CA can be reduced but correcting the distortion leaves the image less sharp.
    Anyone here have a workflow for the 20mm on an Olympus body? Do you use the images without correction?

2. J. Allen

J. Allen Mu-43 Regular

Aug 29, 2010
    I have played with the correction for the 20 1.7 and EP2 and CS5 and just don't like what it does to the image, particularly in the corners. I haven't noticed a loss in quality I just don't like the result. I aslo haven't noticed that much distortion in the original image. When I've asked others to compare the corrected and uncorrected versions they like the uncorrected version better. I don't bother with it any more.

3. macjansson

macjansson Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2011
    Sweden
    I found a few sources on the net claiming that all m4/3 systems correct the m4/3 lens barrel distortion in body, independent of lens/camera combination. My theory is that I corrected an already corrected image file resulting in poorer quality. CA is not corrected when using the 20mm on an Olympus camera-house. CA is easily corrected in CS5, Aperture, Lightroom etc. I correct the CA in Aperture and then I edit in CS5. This works very well apart from that the .psd or .tiff added in Aperture is quite big, somewhere between 65-130MB

4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman Subscribing Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
  5. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    I own a G1 and 20, no Barrel correction in camera. I'm guessing it is in the supplied software...Which I have never installed.

I Use ACDsee Pro 3, It is a simple fix. and saved as a pre-set.
    I find no IQ degradation.
    AFA "CA"., Only in subjects that have harsh back-lighting, is where I have seen any. Again, an easy fix..

6. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    I agree with G1 User, no barrel correction in camera for raw output, don't use the lens often, but when I do I correct for barrel distortion in Bibble Pro 5.

Barrie

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.