Panasonic 20mm f1,7 correction in PS

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by macjansson, Jan 14, 2011.

1. macjansson

macjansson Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2011
    I use the 20mm on an EP1-body. I read that there's no in camera correction of barrel distortion or CA. I tried to correct this i PS but the image before correction is much sharper an crispier than after correction. The CA can be reduced but correcting the distortion leaves the image less sharp.
    Anyone here have a workflow for the 20mm on an Olympus body? Do you use the images without correction?
  2. J. Allen

J. Allen Mu-43 Regular

Aug 29, 2010
    I have played with the correction for the 20 1.7 and EP2 and CS5 and just don't like what it does to the image, particularly in the corners. I haven't noticed a loss in quality I just don't like the result. I aslo haven't noticed that much distortion in the original image. When I've asked others to compare the corrected and uncorrected versions they like the uncorrected version better. I don't bother with it any more.
  3. macjansson

macjansson Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2011
    I found a few sources on the net claiming that all m4/3 systems correct the m4/3 lens barrel distortion in body, independent of lens/camera combination. My theory is that I corrected an already corrected image file resulting in poorer quality. CA is not corrected when using the 20mm on an Olympus camera-house. CA is easily corrected in CS5, Aperture, Lightroom etc. I correct the CA in Aperture and then I edit in CS5. This works very well apart from that the .psd or .tiff added in Aperture is quite big, somewhere between 65-130MB
  4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
  5. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    I own a G1 and 20, no Barrel correction in camera. I'm guessing it is in the supplied software...Which I have never installed.

I Use ACDsee Pro 3, It is a simple fix. and saved as a pre-set.
    I find no IQ degradation.
    AFA "CA"., Only in subjects that have harsh back-lighting, is where I have seen any. Again, an easy fix..
  6. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    I agree with G1 User, no barrel correction in camera for raw output, don't use the lens often, but when I do I correct for barrel distortion in Bibble Pro 5.