Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 price reduced

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by Amin Sabet, May 4, 2015.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    • Like Like x 2
  2. robertk328

robertk328 Going on a prime spree!

Feb 11, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    Robert
    Great lens. Love mine :)

3. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    when this lens came out I baulked at the price of more than double that ... at that price new I'd just get one (if I didn't already now have one ;- )

4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Looks like it is $1 cheaper and now comes with a free 3 year extended warranty and 4% "reward" bonus: http://www.adorama.com/IPC2017B.html

Still one of the fastest, sharpest and smallest AF lenses available for m4/3.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    One of my favourite things about the system. There's nothing else quite like it, anywhere.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Voigtlander 40mm f1.4?

7. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I bought one for $297 on B&H just now. Are they affiliated with Adorama? Same exact pricing and points program.

I didn't see this thread before buying. I usually buy on ebay but I wanted this one to be new because there are no used mk2's on ebay. What was the going price before this? I checked at it's $350 on Panasonic.com. I used to get Panasonic Friends & Family discounts so would buy through there but that site is gone :(

8. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    Not AF, though. And still twice as heavy, though it's not like 175g is a lot...

9. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Not to mention a completely different focal length.

10. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    But the same FOV on a Leica, so it's fair.

11. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I see. I assumed we were talking about u43.

12. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    I think it's a reasonable comparison - I don't think there's any lens in any other system that can match quite what the 20mm/1.7 does. The closest ones are probably the 30mm/f2 for Samsung, or perhaps the 22mm/f2 for Canon EF-M (though it has worse corners). Sony could really use a cheap and cheerful FE 40mm/2.8 pancake, like Canon's FF STM version...

13. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Affiliated as in the competition. Both sales departments close Friday afternoon for the Sabbath. But that's about it, it think. And they sell the same sort of stuff.

14. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    And 5mm longer too. Still, covering ff sensor at that aperture is pretty sweet. The Contax Zeiss 45mm f2.8 is only 87g. Would give roughly the same dof as the pana 20mm. The pana is probably sharper wide open. Some nice benefits from only having to cover a quarter of a ff sensor, and the pana 20mm certainly takes advantage of it.

Anyways, gloriously offtopic :D

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Love this lens, it's crazy sharp.

16. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    I love mine ... bottom line is that if you have Panasonic cameras (especially GF or other compacts) then get this lens as its a perfect part of the theme (as well as generating rewardingly beautiful images).

If you have Oly cameras you may be SOL with this lenses AF performance (of course you can still MF and get the focus zooming and all the other bits such as aperture, the ability to MF accurately at f1.7 and have it stop down during taking ... you know, 99% of the goodies)

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  17. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Although it's pretty good on an Olympus body as well, certainly wouldn't sell it.

18147613028_2d29df17b9_b. Redfern by Otim, on Flickr

17715284233_6feac174b0_b. Untitled by Otim, on Flickr

• Like Like x 2
  18. robertk328

Feb 11, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    Robert
    Focus is fine on my EM10. Slow but usable indoors and out as long as you're not shooting fast action.

19. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Good to hear :) most Oly folks regularly can the combo so I can only guess its bad. I've only ever had Panasonic cameras...

20. robertk328

Feb 11, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    Robert
    I've used it for shots of my dog, son, and for portraits at work (inside, natural light). Super sharp.

It's in my bag now but I'll probably use the 45/1.8 for more space.