1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 - Lowest Price Yet

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I just noticed that the Panasonic Lumix 20mm f/1.7 is now $315 at B&H. By a modest margin, that's the lowest price I've seen yet from a reputable dealer.

I've said it before, this is the lens that sold me on Micro 4/3. Highest recommendation for anyone who likes this focal length.

Link: Panasonic Lumix 20mm f/1.7 at B&H

• Like Like x 2
  2. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    It's like a hot coal in my gut. I missed one on CL for $250. The seller threw in a GF1 for free.

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Had to be a scam!

4. xyzzy

xyzzy Mu-43 Regular

I'm jealous. The same lens goes for the equivalent of over 500 USD over here. That cannot be customs/VAT alone - someone is making a lot of money ... I will wait a little bit more befor I buy.

5. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Hard to get scammed on CL when you deal locally. I've gotten some amazing deals on CL. I picked up my E-P1 for $250 as well. It was absolutely mint. This was a year ago. I also got my Sony A300, body only, for $100. It was perfect. Less perfect now that it's been in my hands. The other thing I missed recently was a Canon T1i with the kit lens and a ES 18-200mm lens for $400. The lens alone is worth more than that.

6. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    OOC what is CL?

Edit:
    After putting a brain cell on this I guessed it was Craig's List. Never heard to it referred to as "CL".

• Like Like x 1
  7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Yes, if you deal locally you won't get scammed, but there are frequently scammers on Craigslist hoping someone will go for a non-local deal. All those Canon 5D II for $800, etc. Lots of scammer "buyers" asking for shipping to their "son" in Nigeria as well.

• Like Like x 1
  8. PeteMarshall

PeteMarshall Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2010
    In the UK SRS usually have them for less than £270, good dealer through e bay.

9. Warren T.

Warren T. Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2010
    San Francisco
    That's a great price ($315). I paid full price ($399) a few months ago, but I have absolutely no regrets about it because the lens is fantastic :).

10. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    dang
    I bought this at B&H a week ago for $329......Oh Well....
    Still a great lens.... glad I did!

11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    You're within the return period. They'll refund you the difference if you call them.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I also bought into m43 because of this lens. I'm pretty upset panasonic didn't go to 12mm w/ their "wide" pancake. It would have been the ultimate combo paired w/ my GF1.

13. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    No Way,
    I don't want to be without the 20 for any amount of time......Unless it's broke. And it ain't broke!

14. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    Let's not jumps to hasty conclusions; it could simply be stolen property!

15. grum

grum Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2010
    An unboxed 20mm is £239 from Mathers in the UK - still not as good as that US price but not bad for an amazing lens.

16. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    You don't have to be without it, and it doesn't have to be broke. If you call B&H and say "I bought a lens a week ago and the price has since dropped - would you please credit my card for the difference?", they will take good care of you.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Amin is giving good advice.

Many vendors in addition to B&H will refund the difference if the price drops if it is within their return period, without actually returning the item. It never hurts to ask.

18. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    I'm guessing the impending release of the 14mm/f2.5 (due "in November") will cut into the demand for the 20mm/f1.7 and, thus, its price. Sure, the 20mm is faster, but for a "pocketable" (coat/cargo pocket) setup, the 14mm is the new king. I just picked up a gf1 with 14-45mm, because (1) it was a great price, (2) from all reports, the 14-45mm is a better lens than 14-42mm that newer models seem to come with, and (3) I want the 14mm instead of the 20mm (OK, I want both, but I'll have to save up for the second one.)

19. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    Thanks...
    They will refund the $14.28 in a day or 2.... I must be a cheap-skate! :tongue:

20. sparkin

sparkin Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    Has anyone here bought from an outfit called photo4less ? They have the 20 f1.7 for $309.95, free shipping, and there's a Google checkout $5 discount at the moment, so $304.95. It's what they call a "White Box" deal, which means the lens was removed from a kit and re-packaged. I'm not sure what to make of it, but wonder if it's kosher.