Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 discontinued!!

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by qpalzm, Jun 24, 2013.

1. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    i wonder if the value of the 20/1.7 will go up or down....
  2. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Ciaran Reilly
    I'm betting the new version will be larger... used price to remain the same
  3. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    finally, it's long overdue (IMHO). The 20mm was one of my favorite lenses (I bought it with my GF1) but it's age really started to show through as newer lenses have been hitting the market. I hope Panny does the new updated lens justice, not like the intial PZ 14-42 lens, as it will have a lot to live up to.
  4. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Up until the new one comes out, then down as everyone sells to buy that one, then back up again until used copies of the new lens become common.
  5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    WOW!!! It's about a year late, but good move Panny. Same lens with fast and quiet AF, and maybe a hair brighter, would sell boatloads. Dang, I just bought a 17/1.8, lol.

Oh well, knowing Panny, it won't ship in the states until January anyway.
  6. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    My guess would be up for a while, and then down when the replacement hits . . .
  7. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Anyone else feel like we should arrange a funeral (or at least a wake) for this fantastic little lens?
  8. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Cool stuff! I would be happy with just an AF performance increase, up to current m4/3 standards.
  9. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Damn. Let's hope for an internal AF version. And in black.
  10. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I'm sure it'll AF better and quieter. But I'm doubting you'll see any IQ or speed improvement. Or if it does, it'll be larger I'm sure (*cough 17mm 1.8 & 25mm 1.4). I'm content with my current 20mm. I'm sure it'll still be the best bang for your buck/size-performance ratio in the m43 system for a while.
  11. Tilman Paulin

Tilman Paulin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    dang, and I just bought one last week... :)
    Now the question is: return it or keep it?
  12. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    If you bought it new and paid full price returning it might be most sensible, if you plan to buy an updated one. Though we don't know what the updated one will cost or look like...

I'm hoping there are some sales on it to clear out stock, I'll probably pick one up and sell my Sigma 19mm if it goes cheap enough. As much as I like the Sigma a faster pancake lens would be welcome.
  13. Tilman Paulin

Jun 10, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    yeah, bought it new and at full price... guess I'll be returning it then
    (and keep using my Sigma 19mm for a bit longer... :) )
  14. macjansson

macjansson Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2011
    If you want a good lens keep it, if you want the latest gear then send it back. The 20, 1.7 is not a bad lens just because it has been discontinued. It is still as good as it's always been, besides we still don't know anything about the new model. It seems likely that Panasonic will replace it with something similar and while it may be just as good or even better than the lens you just bought the price of the new lens is unknown, as is the release date. Might be a good while before the new lens is available.
  15. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Since I just got a very lightly used one for $285, I really don't care much about the new one - although I'm curious to see if the used ones drop significantly in value from the $280~310 range that they seem to consistently go in now.

Happily, the copy I got fits all three of my M4/3 bodies snugly and easily - to me, they might just be discontinuing it until they get their act together on making the bayonet mount tolerances as precise as they need to be to fit on all the bodies in the system.
  16. Tilman Paulin

Jun 10, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    I usually don't hunt after the latest gear, but I just paid 350$ for it... It's a great lens, no doubt, but it focusses quite slowly.
    I know that it could be quite a while until a replacement makes an appearance, but I still have the Sigma 19mm... (which means I didn't really NEED the 20mm, I just WANTED it :) )
    Not the end of the world either way, just a very small dilemma for me now :)
  17. macjansson

macjansson Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2011
    Since you have the 19mm it makes a lot more sense that you wanna send the 20mm
  18. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    Interesting! I've had a great time with the 20 since I got my GF1 years ago. The old gal has started to show her age in my usage (slow AF), and I just got a PL 25 to replace it. Guess it's time to put the 20 up for sale!
  19. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    I'm interested in a Mark II but it's weird that Panasonic discontinued Mark I before announcing the update.