Panasonic 20mm banding on EM-10?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sammykhalifa, Jun 30, 2014.

1. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    I know this was an issue with the EM-5, but I can't find much about it with the newer EM10. I think I saw some trying to shoot fireworks the other night, and I'm assuming it is the same issue (which I thought was corrected in the EM-1). I was wondering if anyone discovered any tricks to avoid it.

I'll post some images, but right now I'm at work pretending to be productive.

2. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Same sensor, same issue.

The easiest way to avoid it is to expose to the right (overexpose a little)...I find that it's much like banding with my old Canon 5D Mark II, that if I underexpose it's very pronounced...if I nail exposure or overexpose a tiny bit, the problem goes away...of course, that's easier said than done, since this is a high-ISO issue, when light isn't in abundant supply, but try that trick and it might help you. :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    Yeah, this was a pretty extreme situation I imagine--bright-as-the-sun fireworks against a black night sky. Just playing with different settings and saw it on some shots while reviewing last night. Others came out rather nice, once I remembered to re-engage the IS at least . . .

• Like Like x 1
  4. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    Happens with my GX7 also, over 1000 ISO

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43