1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 20mm and Pana Leica 25mm Lenses Compared at Gakuranman.com

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Michael at Gakuranman.com published a nice comparison of Lumix 20/1.7 and DG Summilux 25mm images taken during a night stroll with his new Olympus E-P3.

Here's one of several examples from his comparison. You can probably guess which lens took which photo:

night-walk-25mm.

night-walk-20mm.

Link: Night Walk with the E-P3 and Panasonic 25mm f/1.4 Leica Lens « Gakuranman – illuminating Japan

[via DPReview forum]

Note: In contrast to usual practice on some unnamed rumor sites, the above images were embedded after obtaining permission for use (see below comment from Gakuranman). You won't find us direct linking images, embedding images without permission, failing to credit sources, or giving away the conclusions of external reviews, all of which are improper means for those sites to maximally profit from the hard work of others.

• Like Like x 9
  2. Gakuranman

Gakuranman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    Japan
    Thanks for picking this up. Please feel free to link directly to the full size images if you like :).

• Like Like x 15
  3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Thank you for posting your shots on your blog. What is your feeling between the two? I am most comfortable with a 50mm FOV, so it's a no-brainer to order the PL25, and I adore the colors and character of the PL45, so I'm hoping it will come close, but the 20mm pancake is a nice "travel size."

But from the samples I've seen, I think I will likely end up using the PL25 all the time.

4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    What will the going price of the 25mm in the US? I'm tempted to get one, but the 20 1.7 is such a great lens already.

5. mach330

mach330 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2011
    The OC
    good comparo. i do love my 20 1.7 and i'm still not convince to get the 25. i'm still debating over the oly 12 though.

6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I believe it's US$599.

7. Gakuranman

Gakuranman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    Japan
    My initial thoughts are that the extra oomph the 25mm gives is worth it. I shoot a lot of low light stuff (ruins, in particular) and have constantly found getting shallow depth of field a problem up until now. With the release of the 45mm f/1.8 later this month, I think I will finally have some good tools to experiment with.

I certainly wouldn't recommend the 25mm for the casual shooter, or for people who value pocket-ability. But for those who are looking for that extra something in their shots around this focal length, the 25mm seems to deliver :).

8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Thanks! My favorite combo was always my 5D + 50/1.8, but the size was just too much, so I sold my 5D once I got my EP3 (and it's excellent, no-log focus and shot speed). Now I need the PL25 to make me stop missing my 5D!

(though, the m43 kit costs me more: Used 5D ($800) + 50mm/1.8 ($100) vs. EP3 ($700 body, after Oly discount and selling kit lens) + 25/1.4 ($599) = $400 more for portability!!! But at least my Oly's sensor stays clean, lol!)

9. Gakuranman

Gakuranman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    Japan
    Yep! These m43 cameras are not cheap, but they are so enjoyable to use. Since I usually carry my E-P3 on a strap, the difference in size between the 20 and 25 is negligible. Weight is hardly noticeable either. It's a shame the 25 isn't styled like Oly's new 12mm though. If it were, it would be an instant recommend for everyone :p. I'm actually slightly worried Olympus will release a 25mm like the 12mm... I can't afford another lens now. I think I spent my entire camera budget this one summer...

• Like Like x 1
  10. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    The output comparison there really shows some nice out of focus elements, and the slightly tighter field of view really seems to help define the subject. I have to admit as much as I enjoyed the 20mm, I did think it lacked a little in the shallow depth/subject isolation area.

When I previously sold off my m4/3 gear, I ended up with a sigma 30mm F1.4 in K mount (45mm equivalent), which I like very much, but don't use often enough due to its' size (62mm filter, all glass, quite heavy!). I'm seriously tempted by the new 25mm lens, you're not helping here!

11. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    Im actually getting my 20mm today (as Amin knows ;) ) And I really appreciate this thread!

For one: I love the look of the 25mm, but now I'm even happier that I chose the 20 :)

I'm now getting started & I'm not sure I would have benefited from the 25mm, esp. w/ the $ difference...

Thanks again!

12. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    The 20mm is most definitely a great lens. If I had to choose one prime lens to take for a day, that would be it. For me, having just purchased the 14mm panny lens, the 25mm keeps making more and more sense.

13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    You'll love the 20. I wouldn't trade mine for anything :wink:.

14. Starred

Starred Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Re first picture: The level of detail in the whites seems to be higher in the 25 and the blacks are blacker of the 25. I think this is the reason I prefer the shots of the 25 above those of the 20

15. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    The 25 does take great shots, but the 20 fits in my pocket (as does the difference in dollars!). I'll be sticking with the 20 for now...

16. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    That is likely due to the foreground subject taking up a larger portion of the view, thus it weighted the metering to a slightly darker exposure overall (didn't look at the originals but would guess that exposures would be slightly different).

17. Yotsuba

Yotsuba Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2010
    Singapore
    Hi

Could you post a photo of the lens mounted on your EP3?

Thanks!

18. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    I think Panasonic and Olympus are in agreement over who makes what lenses. On the pancakes it just goes back and forth:

14 -pan
    17 - oly
    20 - pan
    25 - oly

I would feel the same way, but remember you are talking around ~$1000 for the two lenses and you end up with a pretty narrow range of focal ranges. Only between 14 and 25, so no real wide angle and nothing on the tele end. Adding a 14-150mm would make for a pretty nice 3-lens combo, but now you're talking about over $1500 for the three.

If I was swimming in money, I'd prefer the Oly 12mm, Pan 20mm and the Leica 45mm macro.

19. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Oh I would totally get the 12mm except I already have the Pentax 15mm F4 limited (22.5mm equivalent) - this is by far my most used lens, we went to Italy for our 10th anniversary and it covered 80% of about 3000 photos! A solidly wide prime like my 15mm, or the oly 12mm, are great all around lenses if you enjoy wide angle shooting.

When I did have the 20mm, I enjoyed it greatly. The focal length is kind of a jack of all trades - not particularly wide, not particularly tight, but it just falls into that slightly wide-normal length that can cover just about any situation all by itself. For me, the slightly faster, slightly more cropped field of view of the new 25mm looks like it would be worth the extra money.

It'll be interesting to see how sales go with this lens - the 20mm has stayed very close to (or even above) MSRP, and it is definitely worth the cost. It is quite a close competitor to the 25mm, I wonder if sales of the 25mm will suffer at the higher cost as a result. In general it seems when lenses hit the higher side of $500 they tend to get slotted into a niche market with lower sales. I'm not gonna bite on this one right away, but if it does approach that $500 mark I will probably give it a go!

20. Gakuranman

Gakuranman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    Japan
    As somebody mentioned, the differences in the highlights and shadows in the two shots is due to the exposure metering being slightly different.

Will try to get a picture up of the lens and camera, but I'm pretty sure I saw one online already. It basically looks like the 45mm macro is mounted.