1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 20mm 1.7 Question

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Hillshot, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Hillshot

Hillshot Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 28, 2012
    Herefordshire
    Philip Jones
    I am about to look for a second hand example of the above lens to go on my recently purchased G3.

Are there different versions ie mk1 or 2 and are they all made in Japan?

Also are there any issues with buying older Panasonic lenses in terms of firmware etc. I have purchased a 14-45 off ebay and this is excellent.

What are your thoughts?

Regards

Phil

2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Far as I know there's just the one version.

3. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    Agreed.

Unless you're getting an especially good deal I think I would avoid ebay. Maybe look at the third party sellers on Amazon - I think Amazon are more pro buyer than seller so at least if you have a problem any resolution could be easier.

Actually Amazon Warehouse deals is listing two at the moment for £235 - they say they have "minor cosmetic imperfection" but that seems to be a fairly generic description from them. And with Warehouse Deals you have a decent return policy anyway (as it's linked directly to Amazon themselves).

• Like Like x 1
  4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I'm sure Amazon Warehouse is fine, but I've never had trouble with EBay. I prefer to buy here on the forum, but I've bought well over 100 items on EBay without a single problem. :biggrin:

5. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Try and get one off here. The prices seem better than Ebay, probably because the sellers save on fees and are less likely to get ripped off. It's a great lens, fairly essentially unless you already own or plan to own one of the 25mm lenses. It's a bit noisy when autofocusing , so kind of useless for video unless you plan to get good at focus pulling with only a tiny LCD for feedback. Still makes a little noise with manual focus mind, but not enough to interfere with a shoot.

6. Warren T.

Warren T. Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2010
    San Francisco
    If you act fast, you might be able to snag the one that was just posted here for $275. As far as I know, there is only one version of this lens. I paid full retail price for mine, and I never regretted it for a minute. I never upgraded the firmware on mine, and I have not had any problems at all with it.

--Warren