1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 20mm/1.7 noise and other questions

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Gusnyc, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Gusnyc

Gusnyc Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    New York
    Hi Everybody!

First of all, I apologize if this is a ridiculous question. I am totally new in this world of exchangeable lenses. Any help/suggestion will be more than welcomed.

I just received my new 20mm/f1.7 lens for my E-PL1. Being a Panasonic lens, there is anything I have to adjust in the settings to make it work correctly in my E-PL1?

I just tried a few shots with it, but I got a little scared of the noise this lens makes. I can hear a "tic-tic-tic" every time the aperture changes plus the sound of the motor. Is that normal? That doesn't happen with the other lens (the one that came with the camera).

I also read there was an update for the lens. If that is the case, where can I get that update and how do I apply it?

BTW, it surprised me that I had to apply quite a force to lock the lens in the camera. I tried a couple of times because I thought I was doing something wrong. It doesn't lock as smooth as the Zuiko lens.

Thanks for your help.

Gus

2. bashar

bashar Mu-43 Regular

Mar 3, 2010
    hello there, dont worry about the noise its very normal, but annoying for video recording!
    you can update it through the olympus master software connect the camera to the computer with an internet connection..... the lens firmware should say 1.1 , you can check that in the camera...
    the lens should lock smoothly, hmmm! cant comment on this one?!

• Like Like x 1
  3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

I'm confused. The 20mm has an update or the camera? My lens on the E-P2 doesn't seem to make any noise at all...that or I've lost my hearing.

• Like Like x 1
  4. bashar

bashar Mu-43 Regular

Mar 3, 2010
    If you check in the olympus master software, it will update your lens IF it needs to be updated, latest firmware for the 20mm is 1.1, you can check that in the camera.

• Like Like x 1
  5. bashar

bashar Mu-43 Regular

Mar 3, 2010
    the 20mm is a bit noise, panasonic says its very normal, so it must be?!

• Like Like x 1
  6. pdc

pdc New to Mu-43

Feb 21, 2010
    Vancouver Island
    Perfectly normal for the 20mm - it's just auto-focusing. The zoom lenses are not audible in AF. Try manual focusing to be sure the lens is OK (turn AF off).

• Like Like x 1
  7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The motor sound is normal during focusing. The tic tic, I believe, has to do with the way Olympus bodies handle the aperture settings for focusing versus in between. Brian Mosley had a post about it here.

• Like Like x 3
  8. BBW

Very interesting. I have never ever noticed any sounds at all.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Gusnyc

Gusnyc Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    New York
    Hi BB, the sound of the motor and the clicking was very noticeable to me, that's why I asked. Thanks to everybody for their answers.

This group rocks.

• Like Like x 1
  10. BBW

Must have too much noise in my head to hear it.:wink: Thanks Gus.

11. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    BB you were so absorbed in picture taking that you did not notice any strange sounds .. a good thing actually :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  12. steve

steve Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2010
    Havertown, PA
    Ignore the voices in your head, BB. They're up to no good.

• Like Like x 1
  13. BBW

I'm laughing! I sure hope that's it...just noticed this thread had a new hit on it...so I felt "Gee, maybe someone's going to post that the newer E-P2s don't make this sound with these lenses..." If you ask anyone that knows me, I'm an incredibly light sleeper...so, perhaps you are right after all.:biggrin:

14. BBW

Darn you Steve, I didn't see your post...your sharing secrets that you shouldn't!:eek:fftopic::rofl:

15. Gusnyc

Gusnyc Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    New York
    So... it seems I am not the crazy one.

16. BBW

So it seems...but they could be placating you...

17. Jake

Jake Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2010
    N.W U.K
    I am considering purchasing this lens but i have never spent this amount on a lens before. I know it seems to have great optics but this noise thing is really putting me off. I saw a video on youtube and the noise was just awful. I think it is mostly heard when the camera is in C-AF mode and will only really effect video.
    Is this 'the ' lens to own at the moment?
    After my Son is born in July i will not be able to spend this kind of money anymore.
    I am considering the EPL-1 with 14-42kit and getting the 20mm 1.7. I am also concerend that the EPl-1 has the auto tracking focus assist and think it might cause a lot of noise from the lens.

18. traveler_101

traveler_101 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2010
    Oslo, Norway
    Panasonic 20mm/1.7 has emerged . . .

. . . as THE lens that has realized the potential of the :43: system, at least that's the consensus of opinion on these boards. It's a must have--and I've been planning to order it, but I was unaware of this noise problem on Olympus cameras. :frown: Is this on the EP-2 as well? Has the problem been fixed? :confused:

Mark

19. bashar

bashar Mu-43 Regular

Mar 3, 2010
    hello jake and traveller, dont let the net forms put you off, for god sake its a lens not a microphone and it takes very good pictures indeed. I have an Ep-1 olympus and the noise is never a problem, its a killer combination, please go to your nearest store and try it, there is Nothing that competes with this lens at the moment and its a must for a new baby! WHY, because you dont want to be disturbing the baby with your shiny flash, its very bad for there eyes, just Natural light and this lens is the king right now:)

• Like Like x 2
  20. Gusnyc

Gusnyc Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    New York
    Hi Jake, after a couple of days playing with the E-PL1 and the lens, I have to say that I can see why people like it so much. I am a photography aficionado, inexperienced with cameras with exchangeable lenses, but the experience so far has been incredibly promising. Pictures taken with this lens and the E-PL1 make me feel that I definitely stepped up on my photographic abilities. I loooooooved a few pictures I took of my doggy, right out of with this camera/lens combo.

For me it was an impulse buy. It was also the first time I was paying that money for a lens (previously I just got a wide-angle attachment for my FZ-50). I thought that if I didn't like it, I would return it to Amazon, but after a few hours I was convinced. Another new thing (for my inexperienced hands) is the low-light capability. It opens a whole new nighttime world of photographic opportunities.

I was worried about the noise because I didn't know if it was normal or if I had a defective lens. By now, it doesn't bother me at all. It is more noticeable with Auto-tracking, but you can alway turn that off in the camera. I am not shooting video, so it is a non-issue for me.

If you are on the fence, try it for a couple of days. It may help you to decide.

Gus