1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 20mm 1.7 II comparison review posted

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Nevski, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Nevski

Nevski Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 20, 2013
    Panasonic Lumix 20mm Vs 20mm II Lens Comparison Review

I've been delaying 20mm purchase for some time now, looks like new one is only slightly better due to new construction.

Hopefully (for new buyers) prices will drop by $100 or so, as they are ridiculously overpriced.

2. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks for sharing that link Nevski. Based on the "hi-rez" pix side-by-side comparison, it appears obvious to MY eyes that the new lens bests the original iteration -- with it rendering the images with more contrast & resolution. Focus speed gripes notwithstanding, the new iteration looks like a winner to me.

3. Faceinthecrowd

Faceinthecrowd Mu-43 Regular

Apr 29, 2011
    oh good, this is the kit option I think I will go for with the GX7.

4. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    I guess the AF is slow like the last version.

5. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    Of COURSE it bests, it's more expensive!!! :thumbup:

6. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    I have no reason to buy II if I already owned I. It's the same lens and according to ePhotozine the improvements in contrast is slight with no changes to resolution. P20 doesn't need to be more contrasty, it needs to auto focus faster.

13 g increase in mass vs. plastic build. I think that's a fair trade off, but is it worth the extra $100?

7. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    But don't you forget the matching color :smile:

8. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I think the improve in contrast might due to the new coating for the new version, there is less flare/foggy side from the light source compare to the original version.

9. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    The improvement in contrast is more likely due to sample variation ... if it exists.

10. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Yeah, it's a slight enough change that it could be that.

Annoying that the reviewer didn't touch at all on how the focus ring handles. The one on the 20mm mk I feels like it has sand under it. Yet the site has given both lenses 4 1/2 out of 5 for handling.

It looks like the new lens is a slightly larger package... but it probably also has a slimmer cap as is the fashion these days, so probably no difference in practice. I reckon if I get this as a kit with the GX7, then sell my current lens, yeah it's a minor upgrade but I'm basically getting it for free. It's a harder sell for those buying the lens on its own.

11. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    The new color means new price: 479 euros!!! It might be that the old color is good enough.

12. BLT

BLT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    London
    James
    The focus ring on the 20mm I have is not like this at all. It is perfectly smooth.

13. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Aghhh...I *KNEW* that this was going to be it...(basically, no REAL improvements)...I tried to get my hands on a version I, they were still listed in Korea, but once the retailers were contacted, they were all out of stock...must have missed the boat by a week or two at most. It'll be nice to get it in matching black and with the metal construction, but I would have happily "settled" for the original version...I used to have a 40mm f2.8 pancake for my 5D Mark II and loved it...this should be a fun replacement...though I'll probably wait until the prices come down to something a little more reasonable.

14. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    Ive heard a couple of people report that focusing speed was significantly faster on the GX-7 while I believe a person here reported the same as the Mk 1 on the OM-D. Maybe the Mk 2 is only faster on Panasonic bodies or just on the GX-7.

15. Faceinthecrowd

Faceinthecrowd Mu-43 Regular

Apr 29, 2011
    Does anyone know if it is quieter than the first model?

16. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    If that was true, Panasonic would be shouting this improvement from the rooftops, since that was the #1 complaint about the V1.

17. MitchHamilton

MitchHamilton Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2010
    Banff, Alberta, Canada
    I'm planning on buying GX7 with 20II and selling off the 20I, the build quality is better and my focus ring also moves like there is grit underneath, always has.

18. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    The contrast and flare improvements on the new 20 is mostly due to the redesign of the front of the barrel. The optics are exactly the same as the original version. The same improvements can be achieved with the original version with the use of a good lens hood. I was given a 46mm screw mount hood that I use. While being a vented rangefinder style hood, it performs well on the 20. I believe this is where it was purchased.