1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 20mm 1.7 freezes

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Klorenzo, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Hi,
    I just bought a used P20/1.7 first version on ebay.

I was worried about the slow focus performance and I took a couple of tests this evening in very low light, like f1.7, 3200iso, 1/10s. When you have a strong contrast it locks almost always and immediately. When the contrast is mild it often hunt forever. The AF sound is ugly.

Anyway, the problem is that after a few seconds, like 30 to 60, it completely freezes: AF does no longer work, neither aperture change and I cannot even turn off the camera. The only way to unfreeze it is to press the lens detach button to reset the lens.

Ever heard about it? Before returning it is there anything I can do to try to fix it?

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi,

Camera model and firmware #?
    Lens firmware #?

Barry

3. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    The camera is an EM-10. Going into the menu->firmware says 1.0 for both the camera and the lens.

4. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Try updating the firmware with the Oly updater. If you have the 20mm lens mounted, it should update both assuming updates are available.

Barry

• Like Like x 2
  5. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    This morning I updated both firmwares and it looks like the problem is solved. Thank you very much Barry.

The AF with decent light (iso 1000, f/1.7, 1/30) is very good, locking fast and anywhere. It only had an hard time with soft wood grain but even the 12-40 struggled and sometimes failed locking on it. Sometimes it looked like it prefers vertical lines to horizontal ones, I mean that rotating the camera made it lock where it before failed.