1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 20mm 1.7 buying question

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by 369, Apr 4, 2011.

1. 369

369 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2010
    Hi all,

I have the Oly EP-1 for almost a year now. I am very happy with the camera and this is my first Real camera. The only gripe i have is about the kit lens although good in ample light but when it comes to indoors and low light its very bad and I don't like using it indoors.
    My questions is I want to sell my kit lens and get the 20mm 1.7. Can I have this as the only lens in my camera and still find it useful.

I don't have the $$$ for buying the 20mm 1.7 So I am thinking of selling the kit lens and buying the 20mm.
    Is this a good idea?

my purpose is social snapshots, vacation, party, etc

The other option would be buying manual focus prime lens. Any recommendation for a cheap solution with sharper image which is a good match for the ep-1

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    I think the 20mm could be your only lens. It lives on my E-P1. Usefulness is more about the photographer than the optics in many cases. But I have worked with very limited camera systems for many decades and it would be easy for me. YMMV.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JamisLaFrance

JamisLaFrance New to Mu-43

Jan 7, 2010
    Mississauga, Canada
    20mm can work as sole lens

I recently came back from one week in Rome. Only used the 20mm on E-PL1. Zoomed in and out using my feet. I have to admit that a couple of times I did switch to the kit lens to use the wide angle. My goal is to eventually purchase the 14mm lens. It was really nice not having to think about using the zoom but focus on capturing the essence of what I was looking at.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    IMO, I'd definitely sell the kit lens to fund a Pany 20/1.7. Not only will you get the benefit of better low light photos, but also faster auto focus.

IMO, the 20 is the only MUST have lens in the m4/3 system. A few other very nice lenses, but the 20 is the must have for price/performance ratio as well as small size -- the "raison d'etre" of the m4/3 system.

• Like Like x 1
  5. MichaelShea

MichaelShea Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2011
    Algarve, Portugal
    You can't really go wrong with the 20mm f1.7 lens and it's suitable for exactly the purposes you describe. The built-in camera stabilisation of the E-P1 makes it a very good match for low light situations, especially indoors, although sooner or later the absence of a flash might become an issue for you. I'm not sure you'll notice a vast difference with the focus speed - the GF1 is a good deal faster to focus and so for that matter is the 14mm f2.5 lens by the same manufacturer. I've never got the E-P1 to focus quickly with anything, but that doesn't bother me much. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.