Panasonic 200mm weather sealing on OMD bodies?

pwol

Mu-43 Regular
I know people have reported that other Panasonic weather sealed lenses arent really weather sealed on OMD bodies, does anybody know if this is also true for the 200mm f2.8?

I'm getting ready to rent a lens to go with my EM5 mark ii for a trip. I'm either going to rent the Olympus 40-150 2.8 with 1.4 teleconverter or the Panasonic 200mm with the 1.4 teleconverter.

I'm renting it for the upcoming Rolex 24 at Daytona, which is notorious for its unpredictable weather and almost guaranteed rain at some point. I'm also bringing my 75 1.8 and 12-40. I know the Oly 40-150 2.8 would be that smart bet, and probably my best option, but man... that Panasonic sure does look nice. I'd love to try it out, and it would only cost me $20 extra on the total to rent a lens over 2x in cost.

I guess I can just use my 12-40 if there's light rain or just not shoot at all, and just wait for it to pass before mounting the 200mm.

I already have tons of batteries, usb battery charger, power bank, tons of SD cards, etc etc ready to go lol.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Weather sealing is not part of the mft standard. Therefore manufacturers have their own standards, materials and methods for it. There is no guarantee of weather sealing between brands.

There are people who do use cross branded gear and feel the sealing works. But there is no way of knowing for certain barring some third party testing that had yet to be done.

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
Panasonic's weather sealing is a bit "wonky", because they haven't standardized on a single type of rear mount gasket design. Some lenses like the PL 12-60, PL 8-18, etc. use a thinner, more narrow gasket that by my measurement, just barely covered the diameter created by the screw holes on the Olympus camera mount. Then there are lenses like the 100-300 II which have a much fatter/wider rear gasket, and do a more sufficient job of of sealing off against the Olympus mount.

FYI, here's an image I took of the difference in the rear gaskets of the 100-300 II and PL 8-18

Here's an image of the rear of the PL 200/2.8 which appears to use a rear gasket very similar to the 100-300 II's (this is a good thing)

And finally, here's an image of my E-M1 II with the PL 8-18 (which has the smaller gasket mind you) after being subjected to a very cold, wet, and windy 90 minutes on top of Haleakala in Maui, HI. The lens and camera continued to work fine, and I had no issues with water ingress.

So in summary, I think you'll be fine with a PL 200/2.8 on your E-M5 II. The PL200 has a more robust rear seal than some of the other Panasonic lenses, but even the PL8-18 with the "thin" rear seal worked fine.

pwol

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks Ian, that makes me feel better about getting the Panasonic 200mm.

I've been looking at TONS of Rolex 24 shots on flickr to see what kind of range I need for certain shots. The 40-150 would be so much versatile but idk, the 200 just seems very tempting. I'm sure I'll be happy with either in the end.

I'm so excited for this race, it'll be my first IMSA race outside of Lime Rock. I'm going to give the whole #vanlife thing a try lol. I'm driving down in an Astro van with a mattress in the back. That way I can sleep right at the track and anywhere along the drive if I get tired. I'm planning on doing the same thing for Sebring this year.

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
Thanks Ian, that makes me feel better about getting the Panasonic 200mm.

I've been looking at TONS of Rolex 24 shots on flickr to see what kind of range I need for certain shots. The 40-150 would be so much versatile but idk, the 200 just seems very tempting. I'm sure I'll be happy with either in the end.

I'm so excited for this race, it'll be my first IMSA race outside of Lime Rock. I'm going to give the whole #vanlife thing a try lol. I'm driving down in an Astro van with a mattress in the back. That way I can sleep right at the track and anywhere along the drive if I get tired. I'm planning on doing the same thing for Sebring this year.
Awesome! You'll enjoy the 24, it's an awesome event. Here are some of my images from last year's race. Unfortunately, I won't be going this year. I made the decision to go to Sebring instead because I've never been there before, and the WEC is running a 10 hour race on Friday before IMSA's 12 hour race on Saturday. It's looking like it'll be a good weekend!

As far as lenses for Daytona go, if you don't have the 35-100 f/2.8 PRO, I would go with renting the 40-150 PRO + 1.4x TC. That'll give you 300mm of reach at f/2.8, and 420mm of reach at f/4, which should really be plenty. The "on the banking" shots in the gallery I linked to above were shot with the Olympus 75mm and are ~12-14MP in resolution after cropping. With the 40-150, you should be able to keep your cropping to a minimum.

As always with motorsports, speed is king so shoot the lens at f/2.8 as much as you can when trying to freeze motion. Make sure to share your shots once you get back, I'm looking forward to seeing them!

pwol

Mu-43 Regular
Awesome! You'll enjoy the 24, it's an awesome event. Here are some of my images from last year's race. Unfortunately, I won't be going this year. I made the decision to go to Sebring instead because I've never been there before, and the WEC is running a 10 hour race on Friday before IMSA's 12 hour race on Saturday. It's looking like it'll be a good weekend!

As far as lenses for Daytona go, if you don't have the 35-100 f/2.8 PRO, I would go with renting the 40-150 PRO + 1.4x TC. That'll give you 300mm of reach at f/2.8, and 420mm of reach at f/4, which should really be plenty. The "on the banking" shots in the gallery I linked to above were shot with the Olympus 75mm and are ~12-14MP in resolution after cropping. With the 40-150, you should be able to keep your cropping to a minimum.

As always with motorsports, speed is king so shoot the lens at f/2.8 as much as you can when trying to freeze motion. Make sure to share your shots once you get back, I'm looking forward to seeing them!
Yeah I saw that series on your website. Amazing shots from the pits, I'd like to see what you can do out on the whole track.

Maybe I'll bump into you at Sebring. I originally planned on only going to Sebring, then got the itch last second and just bought Daytona tickets too. Sebring is a MUCH better value, but I want to experience the Rolex 24 once, and might not have many opportunities to do so in the future.

99% of my motorsports shot are panning shots. I want to mix it up and get some "freeze the motion at super tele range" shots. The Pana 200+1.4x would be perfect for that, but I'll have to sacrifice alot of panning potential by not getting the 40-150. I'm only bringing my 12-40 (not enough reach) and 75 1.8 (pretty limited). Idk, I'll have to think about it some more before I decide.

Last edited:

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
Yeah I saw that series on your website. Amazing shots from the pits, I'd like to see what you can do out on the whole track.
Yes, there's definitely more opportunity for better shots when you're out on the track. I was at the Petit Le Mans this past year, and managed to get a lot of great shots of the cars on track. That's another race I highly recommend attending, as the weather in early October is fantastic, and the track is amazing to shoot from general spectator areas.

Maybe I'll bump into you at Sebring. I originally planned on only going to Sebring, then got the itch last second and just bought Daytona tickets too. Sebring is a MUCH better value, but I want to experience the Rolex 24 once, and might not have many opportunities to do so in the future.
Haha, possibly! I'll keep my eye out for anyone with an E-M5 II when I'm there. I'll be all over the place down there though, as I hear that there are plenty of great places to shoot.

99% of my motorsports shot are panning shots. I want to mix it up and get some "freeze the motion at super tele range" shots. The Pana 200+1.4x would be perfect for that, but I'll have to sacrifice alot of panning potential by not getting the 40-150. I'm only bringing my 12-40 (not enough reach) and 75 1.8 (pretty limited). Idk, I'll have to think about it some more before I decide.
Hmmm... if you've got those lenses then the PL 200 may be an option. Obviously you lose the 75-200 range, but you could definitely make it work. BUT, if this is going to be a "once in a lifetime" trip (as you said, going to the ROLEX isn't cheap), you still may be better served by the 40-150. I don't think you can go wrong either way though.

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
I know people have reported that other Panasonic weather sealed lenses arent really weather sealed on OMD bodies, does anybody know if this is also true for the 200mm f2.8?

I'm getting ready to rent a lens to go with my EM5 mark ii for a trip. I'm either going to rent the Olympus 40-150 2.8 with 1.4 teleconverter or the Panasonic 200mm with the 1.4 teleconverter.

I'm renting it for the upcoming Rolex 24 at Daytona, which is notorious for its unpredictable weather and almost guaranteed rain at some point. I'm also bringing my 75 1.8 and 12-40. I know the Oly 40-150 2.8 would be that smart bet, and probably my best option, but man... that Panasonic sure does look nice. I'd love to try it out, and it would only cost me $20 extra on the total to rent a lens over 2x in cost.

I guess I can just use my 12-40 if there's light rain or just not shoot at all, and just wait for it to pass before mounting the 200mm.

I already have tons of batteries, usb battery charger, power bank, tons of SD cards, etc etc ready to go lol.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Looking forward to seeing your results @pwol :clapping:

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
Not wholly relevant to the OP but I’ve purchased a Panasonic LEICA 200 f2.8 (packaged with a TC1.4) as I got it on a very good offer saving quite a lot
I’m not going to be using it until the Motorsports season starts here in the UK but it will be good to see how it performs against the Olympus 300f4.0
I will be seeking to compare the two and keep the best / most versatile once the season has got under way
I have the advantage of having purchased the PL200 on 0% buy now pay 6 months later which gives me the opportunity to try the two lenses together before deciding which to keep without appreciable immediate cost
At the moment I’m favouring using a G9 so compatibility with the PL200 will be an advantage both in terms of Dual IS and of weather sealing compatibility which is important to me - I don’t shoot in pouring rain but do like to the option to be able to continue shooting in light showers occassionally
The weather sealing issues previously discussed and kindly researched by @ijm5012 and others have concerned me a little and as I have today mentioned in the other thread linked above by @ijm5012 I have experienced a certain amount of mechanical discrepency of fit between Panasonic and Olympus lenses and bodies so given the choice I would tend to prefer to use matching products (at least when considering the higher end lenses etc)
From what Ian is saying though it seems that you are reasonably safe matching the PL200 to the Olympus
Regards
Rob

Last edited:

JDS

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David Schultz
Piling on to this thread as there's a recent motorsports bent to it- I sometimes find my 40-150 pro with 1.4tc too short. For example, I would love to get a closer shot of cars coming over the top of the Corkscrew at Laguna Seca, or get closer to cars coming down the infield straight at the track. I just found a non-SWD Olympus 50-200 4/3 lens + 1.4tc for sale for $200, was thinking about it as a companion to the 40-150. Am I nuts? Its a lot of weight, does it make more sense to crop, or maybe hold out for a Panny 100-300 II? I don't think I would use it for panning, maybe not even autofocus? Maybe just pre-focus on the crest of the hill, or on the braking point when the cars are heading straight toward me. I think Ian used the Panny 100-300 for shots like this... I'll add a couple examples of shots where I maxed out the 210mm of my current combo:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

pwol

Mu-43 Regular
Yes, there's definitely more opportunity for better shots when you're out on the track. I was at the Petit Le Mans this past year, and managed to get a lot of great shots of the cars on track. That's another race I highly recommend attending, as the weather in early October is fantastic, and the track is amazing to shoot from general spectator areas.

Haha, possibly! I'll keep my eye out for anyone with an E-M5 II when I'm there. I'll be all over the place down there though, as I hear that there are plenty of great places to shoot.

Hmmm... if you've got those lenses then the PL 200 may be an option. Obviously you lose the 75-200 range, but you could definitely make it work. BUT, if this is going to be a "once in a lifetime" trip (as you said, going to the ROLEX isn't cheap), you still may be better served by the 40-150. I don't think you can go wrong either way though.
Yea I saw those too, great shots man.

I'd love to go to the Petit Le Mans someday, it looks like alot of fun, especially when the standings are tight and there are several teams in all the classes fighting for those last couple of points.

I'll keep my eye out for anyone with a d500 lol...

Looking forward to seeing your results @pwol :clapping:
Not wholly relevant to the OP but I’ve purchased a Panasonic LEICA 200 f2.8 (packaged with a TC1.4) as I got it on a very good offer saving quite a lot
I’m not going to be using it until the Motorsports season starts here in the UK but it will be good to see how it performs against the Olympus 300f4.0
I will be seeking to compare the two and keep the best / most versatile once the season has got under way
I have the advantage of having purchased the PL200 on 0% buy now pay 6 months later which gives me the opportunity to try the two lenses together before deciding which to keep without appreciable immediate cost
At the moment I’m favouring using a G9 so compatibility with the PL200 will be an advantage both in terms of Dual IS and of weather sealing compatibility which is important to me - I don’t shoot in pouring rain but do like to the option to be able to continue shooting in light showers occassionally
The weather sealing issues previously discussed and kindly researched by @ijm5012 and others have concerned me a little and as I have today mentioned in the other thread linked above by @ijm5012 I have experienced a certain amount of mechanical discrepency of fit between Panasonic and Olympus lenses and bodies so given the choice I would tend to prefer to use matching products (at least when considering the higher end lenses etc)
From what Ian is saying though it seems that you are reasonably safe matching the PL200 to the Olympus
Regards
Rob
Thanks, and I cant wait to see your shots with the 200. Its a new lens so all I can find are photos of birds, no motorsports shots yet. Matching the 200 with the g9 definitely seems like the way to go. I was thinking about renting another body, but cant be bothered to learn a new camera or set up another em5ii just for the weekend.

Piling on to this thread as there's a recent motorsports bent to it- I sometimes find my 40-150 pro with 1.4tc too short. For example, I would love to get a closer shot of cars coming over the top of the Corkscrew at Laguna Seca, or get closer to cars coming down the infield straight at the track. I just found a non-SWD Olympus 50-200 4/3 lens + 1.4tc for sale for $200, was thinking about it as a companion to the 40-150. Am I nuts? Its a lot of weight, does it make more sense to crop, or maybe hold out for a Panny 100-300 II? I don't think I would use it for panning, maybe not even autofocus? Maybe just pre-focus on the crest of the hill, or on the breaking point when the cars are heading straight toward me. I think Ian used the Panny 100-300 for shots like this... I'll add a couple examples of shots where I maxed out the 210mm of my current combo:

View attachment 711051 View attachment 711055 View attachment 711068
More reach is always nice and that doesnt seem like a bad idea for $200, pre focus and spray away.

Idk if you have access to a Panasonic Employee Purchase account, but they have the 100-300ii for $422. I've been tempted to buy it a couple of times. The new Olympus tele zoom seems promising, but obviously it will be very expensive.

Last edited:

BPCS

Mu-43 Regular
Panasonic's weather sealing is a bit "wonky", because they haven't standardized on a single type of rear mount gasket design. Some lenses like the PL 12-60, PL 8-18, etc. use a thinner, more narrow gasket that by my measurement, just barely covered the diameter created by the screw holes on the Olympus camera mount. Then there are lenses like the 100-300 II which have a much fatter/wider rear gasket, and do a more sufficient job of of sealing off against the Olympus mount.

FYI, here's an image I took of the difference in the rear gaskets of the 100-300 II and PL 8-18

Here's an image of the rear of the PL 200/2.8 which appears to use a rear gasket very similar to the 100-300 II's (this is a good thing)

And finally, here's an image of my E-M1 II with the PL 8-18 (which has the smaller gasket mind you) after being subjected to a very cold, wet, and windy 90 minutes on top of Haleakala in Maui, HI. The lens and camera continued to work fine, and I had no issues with water ingress.

So in summary, I think you'll be fine with a PL 200/2.8 on your E-M5 II. The PL200 has a more robust rear seal than some of the other Panasonic lenses, but even the PL8-18 with the "thin" rear seal worked fine.
My PL 100-400 mount gasket was the thin type and it failed on am EM1.2 (became distorted) and the whole lens was replaced and the replacement had the fat type gasket. I wonder if Panasonic are going to settle on this type for the future then? It does make more sense in terms if seating on the larger OMD mount surface area (the thin type also seats but it is very tight). On a Pana body, the this type is fine as it makes contact with the edge of the mount surface area... just like Oly gaskets on Oly cameras. For that reason, there is a possible issue of gaskets on Oly lenses on Pana cameras not making enough contact at all (missing the edge of the mount altogether).

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
My PL 100-400 mount gasket was the thin type and it failed on am EM1.2 (became distorted) and the whole lens was replaced and the replacement had the fat type gasket. I wonder if Panasonic are going to settle on this type for the future then? It does make more sense in terms if seating on the larger OMD mount surface area (the thin type also seats but it is very tight). On a Pana body, the this type is fine as it makes contact with the edge of the mount surface area... just like Oly gaskets on Oly cameras. For that reason, there is a possible issue of gaskets on Oly lenses on Pana cameras not making enough contact at all (missing the edge of the mount altogether).
Hmmm... that's interesting that they changed the mount seal entirely. I do think the wider seal is better/more robust.

As far as the "Oly lens on a Pany body", it was a topic of discussion in one of the weather sealed discussions here, and the general consensus was that it's best to not trust Oly weather sealing on a Panasonic body because of where the lens seal would mate against the camera.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom