Panasonic 20 rediscovered

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by dixeyk, Jul 20, 2011.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I have for the past few months been playing with my legacy primes and the Panasonic 14 and 45-200. Yesterday I put the 20 back on my G2 and went for a walk.

Damn that is a nice lens. There si something about the images that I can get (even just walking around taking snaps) that really knock me out. With all the excitement over the new Olympus 12 and 45 I though I'd just like to say that the Panasonic 20 (despite it's quirks) is one special lens. Last might looking at my mages I realized that I could get rid of every other lens I have and be perfectly happy with just the 20.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 15
  2. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Thats my next lens.

3. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Great shots, and yes - it's pretty much my 'go-to' lens for the E-P2.

Cheers

Brian

4. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Now I have bought the 45-200 and 14 so I must wait a little bit for financial to come to the point where I can buy the 20; but it will be mine:biggrin:

5. johnb5319

johnb5319 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 22, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Nice pics. With limited funds, it'll be a choice between this and the new Samyang 7.5mm.

6. leonberdi

leonberdi Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    Montreal
    I'm a relative newcomer to the 20mm, but I find that it has incredible 'pop.' At times, the subject seems to really jump out for the frame.

7. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    These are beautiful images, dixeyk!

8. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I've got the oly 17mm and at times I need something a little brighter. I've been thinking about getting this lens.

9. cannedpineapples

cannedpineapples New to Mu-43

Aug 9, 2011
    nice shots getting close!

I love your second shot- the bottles! Sometimes with this lens I don't quite want to get in so much to avoid wider-angle distortion (esp. VS the 45mm end of my kit zoom, which is my fav).

Obviously that's a mistake.

10. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I bought an 20mm when I initally bought my EP1 a month or two ago and just didn't see what was so good about it v the 17mm/, so sent it back.

Borrowed another for my sisters wedding at the weekend as I thought the f1.7 would be handy and it was amazing, loved the shots and the lens so suffice to say I've bought one for myself now! Lovely lens although I'm not sure whether to get rid of the 17mm now..

11. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    As a keep on all the time lens, I love the 17mm.

12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Fuji made the same decision with the X100. :smile:

13. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I have to agree, the 20mm is my prime lens for use on my GF1 supported by the original metal mount 14-45 which is a very good lens as well but nowhere near the overall quality, size & performance of the 20.

If I had to choose just 1, it would definately be the 20mm

14. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I must admit, I've never noticed any quirks. That lens is pure gold. Frankly, it's about the only thing keeping me in the m4/3 system. It's really that good!

15. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    I literally got this lens yesterday... Any tips that you guys can give me, or things to look out for?

16. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Chicago
    I was going to say the same thing. What quirks, I wonder?

17. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    The only quirk that I've noticed about the 20mm is that the autofocus is louder than other lenses (older design) and you can actually feel it focusing.

That said, the 20mm feels the best of all my lenses on the G3. The size fits it, the balance it great, and generally a nice combo to work with.

18. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Occasionally, I'll throw my legacy or kit lens on for fun. Then i'll put the 20 back on, take a couple snaps and wonder,

"Why did I take this off again?"

19. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I love the lens but it is incredibly noisy when focusing. I have started to switch to manually focusing it in some situations because of it. It's not the fastest AF I have ever seen. Compare it to the 14 (which is both silent and very fast to AF) and you'll see what I mean. But it's a GREAT lens and if I could only keep one m43 lens it woud be the 20.

20. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I actually took me a few weeks to really appreciate what the lens could do. It didn't wow me right away. I remember feeling pretty underwhelmed by it at first. But...now I can't imagine not having the lens.