Panasonic 20 on E-pl2 focusing issues

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by simort, Mar 26, 2012.

1. simort

simort Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 21, 2011
    Hi everybody,

I recently bought a used Panasonic 20 for my E-pl2. Until recently I mainly used it for indoor shots, where it showed no problems.
    Yesterday while shooting in the garden during a sunny day I noticed the following behavior: sometimes the camera with that lens mounted refused to focus and, worse still, it froze completely, refusing any kind of input, for several seconds. I have tried to nail down the circumstances in which this happens, but I did not manage to do it precisely. It happens usually when at least a couple of the following conditions are met: trying to focus at infinity, trying to shoot wide open or near wide open with shutter speeds in the 1/4000 - 1/2000 range, moving rapidly from shade to light (or vice versa) and trying to shoot before the aperture blades stop clicking.
    The camera has no focusing issues at all with my only other native lens (14-42 II). I was wondering whether I have a defective lens or if it is a known issue with this camera/lens combination. I know that the clicking aperture blades of Panny lenses on Oly bodies is well known, but I never heard of focusing problems.

Thanks in advance to anybody who might provide insights on the matter!

Simone

2. Christilou

Christilou Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 25, 2010
    Camberley, Surrey
    I had a similar problem with the 20mm last year and updating the lens firmware fixed it.

3. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    Cloverdale,CA
    I have used the 20mm enough that I should have seen such behavior, if it existed, but have not.

The firmware update suggestion is a good one!

Dan

4. On rare occasions I've had the 20mm refuse to focus on my E-PL1, or more accurately report that it has achieved focus when it clearly has not. To "fix" it I've found the best way is to focus on something close (usually by putting my hand in front of the camera), following which it will work as normal. I haven't had the freezing issue, though. I guess I should check what firmware my lens has...

5. RussellOlaguer

RussellOlaguer Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2012
    Paranaque, Philippines
    Russell Olaguer
    May i know what is the latest firmware for the 20mm?

Thank you very much.

6. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    If its any consolation it focuses no better on my E-P3.

7. simort

simort Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 21, 2011
    Thanks, I did not think about that, I'll check it later.
    BTW, is it safe to upgrade the firmware of a Panasonic lens on an Oly body?

8. simort

simort Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 21, 2011
    So you get the same issue also on the E-p3? Does the camera also freeze sometimes?

9. Xin

Xin Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 15, 2012
    Kuala Lumpur
    I have the same problem for my epl-2 with 20mm. Later on will try to update the firmware too, Thanks!

10. simort

simort Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 21, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  11. simort

simort Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 21, 2011
    Hmm, tried yesterday night to upgrade the firmware, but the software always returns an error message saying thta communication with the camera has failed (or something like that). Might only be an issue with the internet connection, I will try again on another computer

12. RussellOlaguer

RussellOlaguer Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2012
    Paranaque, Philippines
    Russell Olaguer
  13. simort

simort Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 21, 2011
    The most releases of firmware dealt with Oly cameras (including e-pl2) - no recent firmware update for Panasonic 20 AFAIK.

• Like Like x 1
  14. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    David
    Have you cleaned the contacts?

15. NickLeon

NickLeon Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2010
    Somerset UK
    I had problems like this a while back - dredging the old memory banks I recall that you need to 'OK' 'storage mode' - I recall it wasn't obvious, I think it looks like it is already highlighted and selected?
    That done everything worked smoothly - I think it goes to a black screen and then you see Updater recognised or something similar.
    Of course you must always take care with firmware updates so perhaps a little googling around to verify all this?

• Like Like x 1
  16. simort

simort Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 21, 2011
    Thanks, I will try that!

17. simort

simort Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 21, 2011
    I am happy to report that upgrading the lens' firmware to the latest version (1.1) effectively solved the problem - now the camera doesn't freeze anymore when failing to lock focus at infinity.
    Thanks to all!