Panasonic 20 mm F1.7 ..... I finally did it :-)

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Dangermouse1968, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Dangermouse1968

Dangermouse1968 Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2011
    Ok, so I've had my lovely, lovely GF-1 and 14-45 since about October last year. I've enjoyed using it and I think I've got some decent shots with this very good kit lens.

Recently I was lucky (unlucky?) enough to inherit a few hundred pounds and whilst I have a few hobbies decided to do something about my photography. I've found it quite difficult to decide even to buy a lens (or should I have gone for software or filters?!!) but finally decided that I could not ignore any longer the hype on the web about the 20 mm.

At the weekend I'm going back to Yorkshire for a family wedding and whilst this lens might not be ideal for that scenario I'm really looking forward to using it.

2. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Glad you got one, I'm a recent convert to the 20mm myself and I'm loving it, the Panasonic lenses really are very nice.
  3. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    You may be pleasantly surprised, there is a UK Photog (Brett Harkness) that shoots weddings with only a 50mm lens and produces beautiful, natural non set up images (google him and look at some of his images).
    I have the same lens combo as you now own and use both with my GF1.
    The 20mm is an outstanding lens that has great bokeh and produces lovely sharp images, it will be a great combo (GF1+20) to use to capture the event with in a candid way as the combo is so small as to be insignificant in the eyes of many so allowing you get natural shots rather than people posing in an unnatural fashion.
    Good luck & enjoy the lens - I am sure you will not regret it.
  4. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    I've just joined the club as well! Hopefully my own 20mm will be here on Wednesday and I can firmly plant it on the front of my E-PL2........ at long last..... :)
  5. Dangermouse1968

May 26, 2011
    Thanks Ian, had a good poke around his site whilst I ate my sandwiches. I like the open frames he gets where the happy couple don't dominate as much as normal and look forward to trying similar things at the weekend.

I'm sure I won't regret my purchase :)
  6. robertro

robertro Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2010
    The 20mm is extraordinary - probably reason enough to buy into the system.
  7. Dangermouse1968

May 26, 2011
    It's here, the sun has been shining but I have reports to write !!!!!!

[​IMG]"375" height="500" alt="PL20mmf1.7"></a>[/IMG]
  8. Dangermouse1968

May 26, 2011
    .... and btw, I've just learnt that I have to go Japan on business in october and India in november so i'm really glad I got it !!!
  9. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Mine arrived as well...... but have to go to the dentist so can't play until later! :eek: :mad:

10. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Congrats guys, the 20mm is a darling lens. I don't think the m43 system would have been successful as it currently is without this lens.

Looking forward to the day if/when Panasonic makes a second gen version with faster and quieter AF...
  11. mqavila

mqavila Mu-43 Regular

I love the 20mm. It's on my GH2 most of the time and only comes off when I need to zoom in (and I have no place to run). During those times, the 14-140mm gets some play time. :)