1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 20/f1.7 Hunts Focus on OM-D

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dave Jenkins, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

My Panasonic 20/f1.7 hunts for focus on my OM-D quite noticeably. It focuses much more quickly on my E-PL1. Is this a known issue?

I have the v1.5 firmware installed. I don't think I noticed the focus-searching as an issue before installing the update.

2. Jodie_harsh

Jodie_harsh Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2012
    London
    Have same issue myself

3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Mine hunts a bit in low light on my E-M5, but I don't remember it being different on my E-P2 or E-P3 in the past.

4. Jodie_harsh

Jodie_harsh Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2012
    London
    Compared to my GX1, it takes a long time hunting both low light and normal light.

5. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Me too. Seems to hunt more in low light; at least compared to Oly 12-50 kit lens.

6. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    Mine definitely hunts more on my EM5 than my EPL1.

7. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    Known issue.

For a plethora list of issues with Panasonic 20mm most people won't recommend using it with the E-M5.

8. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

That's a shame. 20mm (40mm equivalent) is my favorite "normal" focal length. Perhaps Olympus or Panasonic could come up with a fix, but they might be more interested in selling us a lens or camera of their own brand instead.

9. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I still like using the 20/1.7 on my E-M5, but I am looking forward to an update on the lens. I would buy it if it just had fast/silent AF, but would love to see IF and weather-sealing. :2thumbs:

10. The E-M5/20mm combination has never felt right to me. It's okay but there seems to be some kind of mismatch between the two. The camera is obviously brilliant and the lens has great optics albeit outdated mechanicals, but clicking the 20mm on the E-M5 feels like I'm putting an upside-down moustache on Mr Potatohead.