Panasonic 20 f/1.7 with EM-10ii

I am new to MFT, having recently bought an Olympus OM-D EM10ii. My goal was to put together a lightweight walkaround rig that I could use for general travel photography. After doing hours of reading on small lenses, I pulled the trigger today on the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 ll.
It seems like that is a pretty popular lens for that camera, and there were plenty of examples, on this site an elsewhere, of pictures that looked really good (color, contrast, sharpness), at least to my eye.
I am slightly concerned about the banding issue, but I think that occurs in much higher ISO's than I will be using. Most of what I read was from 2016 or prior; it seems like there wasn't much info about it that was more recent.
It should be here Friday, and I am amazed that the camera, lens, and bag (Think Tank Digital Holster 5) combined weighs in at 28 ounces.
Does anyone have any recent experience with this lens? As in, just got it a few months ago, or just got one? Since most of what I could find about it was a couple years ago, I just wanted to see how someone liked it, or had issues with banding, if it was recently acquired.
TL;DR version: if you just bought a Panasonic 20mm 1.7 how do you like it?

Last edited:

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle
.... After doing hours of reading on small lenses, I pulled the trigger today on the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 ll.
...TL;DR version: if you just bought a Panasonic 20mm 1.7 how do you like it?

or actually far more importantly than what I think of mine, what do you think of yours? (or are you attempting to preempt some sort of buyers remorse?)

PS: try S-AF vs C-AF in high ISO stills to see how much influence that has on any "banding" (I have Panasonic cameras and so all the issues don't apply to me)

ADemuth

Mu-43 Veteran
... and will the custard be powerdered, proper egg yolk or premade in a carton "ready to pour".

Doesn't matter. Just give me my pudding.

PS: try S-AF vs C-AF in high ISO stills to see how much influence that has on any "banding" (I have Panasonic cameras and so all the issues don't apply to me)

There was an individual who meticulously disassembled his P20 f1.7, disconnected only one electronic component and reconnected the prior disconnected component then reassembled the unit and took a series of shots that banded on his E-P5 (I think). The culprit seemed to be the aperture servo/stepper. When it was disconnected, the banding was gone.

I wish I had the link, but I saw it 3 years ago when I was trying to minimize the banding between the P20 and my E-P5.

O.P.: despite the high ISO, low light banding issues, I really enjoyed mine on my E-P5. I "replaced" it with a O12 f2 and P25 f1.7. I'm 5 weeks into a 10 week vacation across Europe, and there's a part of me that wishes I had brought that lens and that lens only instead of the 7.5FE, 12mm and 25mm trio that I have (OK, I'd still probably have the FE). The focal length seems to be just right for 85% of what I shoot and it just takes nice looking photos. Of course, the P20's AF speed leaves a bit to be desired, but it's not bad, you just have to plan ahead half a second or so- it's just not the instant AF you may be used to.

I never got a chance to try the P20 on my E-M5ii, my E-P5 died immediately before this trip and I had to pick up a new body on the road. It's patiently waiting at home for me.

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle
There was an individual who meticulously disassembled his P20 f1.7, disconnected only one electronic component and reconnected the prior disconnected component then reassembled the unit and took a series of shots that banded on his E-P5 (I think). The culprit seemed to be the aperture servo/stepper.
Interesting, so not the AF.

I wonder if leaving it wide open makes a difference?

I wonder if it's a shielding issue?

ADemuth

Mu-43 Veteran
Interesting, so not the AF.

I wonder if leaving it wide open makes a difference?

I wonder if it's a shielding issue?

Wide open doesn't help (tried that myself). If I recall correctly, 1.7 isn't as open as the aperture will go. I think I remember watching the iris shrink a tiny bit either when the lens gets mounted or when a wide open shot is taken.

Could be EM shielding issue, or the motor draws to much current, or some electronic interference isn't getting filtered somewhere.

Last edited:

Santa

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tom Staggs
I take jags where I leave it on my OMD10ii for weeks at a time. It is so light and takes very good pictures. Must remember that the AF is a little slower than the latest lens.

Mmmm. Pudding.
Thanks for all the replies.
The lens showed up Friday. From what little time I have spent with it so far, I like it. Very sharp. The AF does seem slower than my other lenses, but as mentioned above, just have to plan ahead a half-second. I am going to slap it on the EM-5 later tonight and see what it does.

Latest threads

Top Bottom