1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 20" 4K tablet

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DeeJayK, Mar 12, 2013.

1. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Did anyone see this insane 20" 4K (3840x2560 resolution) tablet that Panasonic was showing off at CES a couple of months ago?

Panasonic 4K tablet review: Hands-on | T3

[​IMG]500 />

This beast looks like 4 iPads glued together and has a "Retina"-like 230-ppq display density. It sports an Intel Core i5 processor and runs full Windows 8 Pro 64. It could be an absolutely incredible photo editing machine. On the downside it weighs over 5 pounds (2.2 kg) and I'm not exactly sure how one would expect to hold it in one's hand (over even lap) as one does with a "normal" tablet.

There's no release date (though 2013 was rumored) or price as yet. And it seems like there is some work to do on the software side to make this kind of display density really usable (e.g. the icons in Photoshop are apparently comically small). All that said, I'm just excited to see this type of innovation coming from Panasonic.

• Like Like x 1
  2. ajamils

ajamils Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Richmond, Texas
    It looks nice but 21" is an overkill for a tablet... no matter how good the specs are.

3. Witzgall

Witzgall Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 23, 2012
    I imagine that this would be used as a desktop replacement, not a tablet. Mounted on an arm, it could take up zero table space. I could see a college student loving this as a all in one desktop/entertainment center. The key would be if they put a vesa mount on the back of it.

Chris

4. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    And why don't we have LCD screens with this resolution?! Is it that unreasonable to want 'retina' class displays in desktops as well as apple laptops (let alone phones)?

5. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    As this tablet demonstrates, the technology for such "retina" displays is available, but I imagine the reason they're not yet available comes down to cost and demand. "4K" is going to be a big buzzword in the the television/display market over the next couple of years, but the products that have so far been introduced (e.g. this 84" Sony LED TV for US$25k) are insanely expensive.

Of course in tablets, laptops and phones, the other trade-off that these megapixel displays have to deal with is battery life -- more pixels = more energy.

Also, some people will argue that 4K is not necessary for television given that the human eye can't see the pixels on even a 720P display (let alone 1080P) at normal viewing distances.The other issue with 4K televisions is that there is basically no 4K video content available at this point in time. Of course, the marketers are not going to let something as silly as physics, math or content get in the way of selling high-margin products.

Obviously computer monitors and the like are a different story in that we sit much closer to them than we do to a television. Also, we all already have hard drives filled with megapixel content (photos). Which makes me wonder why we aren't seeing the initial 4K push in the monitor realm.

6. Palmguy

Palmguy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 3, 2013
    Orlando, FL
    And I thought my Nexus 10 had high resolution!

7. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I'm waiting for the cell phone version.

8. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Given the growth of phablets recently, in a couple of years, this behemoth might BE the "cell phone version". :wink:

Those ultra-baggy "Hammer pants" might come back in style so that we'll have big enough pockets to carry these things.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  9. jwkuipers

jwkuipers New to Mu-43

Mar 14, 2013
    I agree. If this was a monitor I would buy it in a second.

10. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Well considering how relatively niche even the 1440p panels are, and what you pay for something like the dell u27xx series I guess you can imagine there's not much enthusiasm from corporate to push it even further. Some people would shell out for a 4k monitor but sadly a lot of people are happy with the 27" 1080p screens..

11. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Yeah, that always bums me out too when shopping for monitors -- you'll see these huge monitors with essentially the same resolution as you can get in a 15" laptop display. That always seemed pointless to me -- the extra size of the screen does me little good if I can't actually display anything more on it. I blame the marketing of "1080p" as the "gold standard" in resolution.

Thankfully Apple has started to address display density with their "Retina-display" marketing and some others are finally starting to follow. Unfortunately this hasn't yet taken hold on the bigger screens. I'm still not sure if that is due to market demand or the expense of producing denser displays in larger sizes.

I look for "4K" to displace "1080p" as the brainless marketing term that people look for in high-end displays going forward, so maybe there's some hope on the horizon.

12. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I'm no Apple ******, but I am grateful for how they have pushed the industry with the 'retina' class display. It's a great way to describe the advantage of pixel density, and how it changes depending on the size of the screen. 4k would be a nice gold standard for the marketing brochures..but the issue is that it is overkill in most cases. I like the idea of a moving 'retina' class that takes the size of the screen into consideration for usage. I would be happy with retina monitors, retina laptop screens, retina camera lcd's, retina phones/tablets etc..who needs more once you get past the point of being able to make out the individual pixels?

I am frustrated that the tech is all so close..like why we have that amazing LCD in the google's new chromebook...yet we can't get it in anything else other than a laptop built around a browser OS. :confused:

I think the market is out of balance for big, high res displays. I think customers are probably overpaying since the 27" A+ grade panels are going for 700-1000$ and the Korean companies are selling the A- panels for 300ish. There's a lot of margin in there I'm thinking. Sadly, there's just not a laot of uptake in this market. Bah, I blame the commoners and their undiscerning eyes. :biggrin:

13. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    uh oh...looks like you tried to use the f-word. :eek:

14. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I know an artist who is drooling for a tablet like this for drawing.

15. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

At that size it isn't a tablet anymore, more like an end table.

• Like Like x 1
  16. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    The 4K tablet is quite amazing. I used one their prototypes with my photography last week at WPPI and had some conversations with their head engineer that was in from Japan. Panasonic is still working out some details but I can tell you it weighs next to nothing and is rock solid.

Out of everything I seen at WPPI this was most amazing.

I'll have a video and article online soon.

• Like Like x 1
  17. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    There is quite a reasonably priced 4k IGZO 32" LCD coming to the market this month from Sharp for about US$5,000. Much of the problem though is that the support from graphics cards and GPUs is very patchy.

Also we are miles away from having 4k for TVs. Red has just introduced a 4k media player to play media on 4k TVs which start at about US$12k. There is next to no product to actually play on them though.

18. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    The good point to pick up is that there appears to be be some form of consensus forming on the "4k " levels of resolution from broadcasters and manufacturers so there is a chance that we might (at some point in the distant future) actually see products at real world prices. Without such agreements there is little chance of this happening .

19. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Looking forward to it! Please post a link in this thread when it's up.

• Like Like x 1
  20. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    You're right about the "chicken-and-egg" situation with regard to content. Although it seems like the marketers are attempting to push past that to some degree, if the amount of "4K" product announcements at CES is any indication.