1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 15mm flare issue

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by tg9413, Nov 15, 2014.

1. tg9413

tg9413 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2014
    I just got this lens on a cheap deal, but after playing around with the lens a bit I notice some very serious flare issue.
    Take a look at the pics below
    See the moon like spot in the sky, is the flare from the street light
    flare (1 of 5).

This shot taking at f16
    flare (2 of 5).

These shots taking at f1.7, looks like it all circulate the center of the frame on the opposite side of the light source.
    flare (5 of 5).
    flare (3 of 5).
    flare (4 of 5).

I used my 25mm f1.4 which also has the same nano surface coating and wasn't able to produce the flare.

I know that wide angle is more prone to flare, but this looks like something very unnatural and is out of control for a lens that Leica would certified.

Anyone with the lens experiencing the same issue or I simply just got a bad copy ?

Thank you for the input in advance.

P.S the original owner was nice enough to give me the original recipe, is warranty from panasonic transferable or I can fake as the original owner with the original recipe.

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Warranties are transferable in some states, but I don't really see how a defect would cause this.

Barry

3. tg9413

tg9413 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2014
    this is some weird flare, it seems only prone to certain light color or something
    I dig through some photo on flicker
    like these two are showing some obvious flare and having a similar characteristic as the one I have with the flare from street light
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/42234769@N08/15251397129/in/pool-2661824@N21
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/srgtravel/14656662448/in/pool-2661824@N21
    and some other ones that's shooting into bright light source and it's not showing any sign of flare..

damn I hope this is not another QA issue panasonic had before with some other lens like the 14-42mm pz.

4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Well, that's exactly where and how I'd expect the flare to show up if it was to appear. I used to get exactly the same issue when I had a Hoya HD UV filter on my PL25 at night with bright street lights. One day when I noticed the flare, I took off the UV filter and magic, the flare almost completely vanished...

5. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    My copy does the same thing on both an E-M5 and GM1. I don't find this that surprising, not too unusual for such a bright source to cause a reflection like that when in the frame. Though I do know from experience that the 25/1.4 is quite good at not producing such reflections. But many if not most lenses do.

6. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    Which camera was this on? It might be due to reflection from the sensor also, but I see that it is more common to the lens... I saw that on the older film lenses that were used on digital sensors before they start to coat them for digital, not on the new lenses esp given the price / Leica name...

7. tg9413

tg9413 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2014
    this is taken on a GX1. If like Kwalsh said his copy is doing the same thing, I guess it's pretty common thing for this lens as some of the shots from flickr is showing the same kind of reflection also. Guess just gotta be a bit more careful with framing shots then :x need to take it out at night to do some more serious shots first to see if I can get comfortable to keep this lens. Overall is a nice lens and I like it a lot when it's on my GX1, makes it looks like a mini leica.

8. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
  9. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    That flare does seem very common to almost all of my lenses in some situations. It's just one more thing to take into account when framing. Usually I try to put that flare in aposition where it is easiest to remove in post processing. Usually against a solid coloured background.

10. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
    NYC