Panasonic 15mm f1.7 with EM5, yes or no??

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Smashatom, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Smashatom

Smashatom Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    Stratford-Upon-Avon, UK
    Hi everyone,

It's that time of year again, and the frantic search for something that I 'need' begins.

I do quite fancy the Panasonic 15mm f1.7, having recently swapped the Panasonic 20mm for the Olympus 25mm - I do miss the wider angle, but had got quite fed up with how slow it focused.

Just wanted to see if people with an EM5 or Olympus body would say yes get it, or no the Olympus 17mm would be better.

I'm only really talking in terms of how it works with the camera - if there is a massive performance difference etc...

2. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    I haven't heard of any reports of issues with the 15mm + EM1.
    However, I think CA on panasonic lenses are not corrected in olympus bodies?
  3. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    There is no issue. The image processor in the E-M1, and all cameras released after it, remove CA from JPGs regardless of lens brand.
  4. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    I've never owned the 15mm but I've also never really been bothered by CA or other cross brand lens issues (other than I did notice the 20mm seemed to focus a hiar quicker on a GX7 than on an E-M10 mkII.

Bigger question is actually do you need to go to 15mm? You had the 20 and liked it other than slow AF. You swapped it for the 25mm and now miss the wider angle of view. The 17mm just seems like a better and cheaper fit anyway since it's closer to the 20mm and you're paying extra for the aperture control on the 15mm that I don't think an Olympus bodies recognize.
  5. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The PL15 is nice on the E-M1, I use it just as much on it as the GM5. It is quite a bit wider than the 20mm you're used to though...