Panasonic 15mm f1.7 - lack of focus and Dof scale

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Ricoh, May 16, 2015.

1. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    I'm reasonably happy with the 15mm f1.7 on my GM5 for static subjects, however for street work I find I could do with a lens which has a distance and DoF scale similar to the Olympus 17 f1.8, but still having the aperture control of the Panasonic.

Using the in-camera distance scale on the GM5 is a bit of a joke, and in my opinion I think Panasonic made a big mistake not including a distance and DoF scale.

I'm interested to hear from other street photographers to learn how they manage with the 15mm f1.7 when coupled with the GM5.

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

With manual focus and peaking set, it should be pretty easy to zone focus.

3. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Indeed, that's the way I'm doing it, but focus peeking isn't the quickest way to set zone focusing, and speed is of the essence in street photography. I had the 17/f1.8 which was brilliant in 'snapshot mode', ie focus ring pulled back to reveal the distance and DoF markers (other that the scaling was imprecise - there's a current thread on this) but sold it as I liked and needed the apreture control of the 15mm, a necessity with the GM5 due to the fact that it has one control knob for aperture and shutter speed combined, unless using the 15mm or a similar lens.

4. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I love the remarkable little 15mm. Maybe someone more knowledgeable about D.O.F. can clarify something about D.O.F. scales on a lens barrel. I've read (for decades) that the D.O.F. was a given distance from your point of focus which is determined by your F Stop and that this distance is always 1/3 in front of the point of focus and 2/3's behind the point of focus. Why do D.O.F. scales on a lens barrel always show the distance as equal on both sides of the point of focus?
    Never too old to learn something new,
    Bobby

5. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    If you look at the distance scale you'll see that it gets more compressed at longer distances. The depth of field markings are usually equal on both sides of the focus mark, but the amount of distance on each side is different.
    Fred