Panasonic 15mm dust in lens

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by cptobvious, Jul 1, 2015.

1. cptobvious

cptobvious Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2013
    I took delivery of a Panasonic 15mm lens from winktokyo on eBay on Monday. Optically and mechanically the lens seems ok (slight decentering on the left border but not enough to concern me). However the amount of dust in the lens bothers me. It's not visible from the front element but shining a pen light into the rear element shows it (attached).

Just wondering if other Panasonic 15mm owners have this much. I've contacted the seller but I'm sure even they are willing to take it back, sending it back to Japan will cost a chunk of change.

Attached Files:

2. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    That does seem to be a lot. I've heard that a fair amount of dust can be in a lens and yet invisible in use -- can you tell in your shots that the dust is there?
  3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mine did not have any dust.

I am quite certain you will never see that in any images, so it is up to your level of OCD whether you want to pay for 2 way shipping to exchange. Part of the risk/reward of buying grey market is harder returns and exchanges, unfortunately.
  4. cptobvious

cptobvious Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2013
    There's no effect on the images, but a couple of concerns weigh for me:

1. The hit to resale value (which I've found to be significant for lenses with dust)

2. The possibility that this lens was inadequately sealed that allows dust to enter, since there is no zoom or clutch pumping mechanism that would normally explain this much.

I'll probably have to bite the bullet and return it for a refund, pending what the seller says.
  5. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

With regards to concern #1, I would expect the hit to resale value to be less than or equal to the cost of international shipping with insurance. Quick USPS calculator shows about $45 to ship 1-2lbs to Japan.

Since it is new, I think it was poor process at the factory. It should not have had a chance to be exposed to environmental dust being wrapped in plastic and sitting in a box.