Panasonic 15mm and other lenses with aperture rings

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by CWRailman, Sep 1, 2015.

1. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    I just took delivery of my Panasonic 15mm f1.7 lens and I am really enjoying having an aperture ring. I like being able to shoot old school style and not have to rely on rotating a dial or knob to change aperture. I have done a quick search but am wondering if there are any other micro four thirds lenses that have aperture rings.
    Panasonic%20GM-5%20and%20Konica%20006a.

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Just one more, and it's $1500. The 42.5mm f1.2.

3. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

Buy it!!! You know you "need" it... :biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    I have the same set up as shown here, and absolutely love it. If I had to keep just one camera and lens, the choice would be simple, the GM5 coupled with the PL15.
    Having an aperture ring is so natural and I can see the setting without the need to raise the camera, or look at the LCD. But there is some room for improvement: in my mind the lens is crying out for a manual focus ring similar like the olympus 1.7/f1.8, and a depth of field scale. The camera itself would greatly benefit from a dedicated dial for shutter speed and exposure compensation. Who needs the PASM and AFC/S as dedicated dials, how often do you need to change these? I'd make them menu options and use the real estate more creatively. Do that Panasonic and I would make the purchase.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Don't feel bad, I remember reading a thread where some people were complaining that it was inaccurate... so for at least some, its a purely cosmetic thing. But I do have something I'd like clarified... will using the AF/MF switch on the lens save zone focus settings even if the camera is turned off?

6. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    If Panasonic had an appetite for such a lens, one wold hope they would learn from the mistake of their competitor and produce a more accurate dual mode lens.

Regarding your query, have you tried it?

Edit: Sorry, thought I was responding to the op. I'll try later and advise.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  7. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    Also, the Voigtlander lenses for m43 are all old school with aperture dials, mechanical focus rings, distance scale as well as having no AF to speak of. Without a doubt, the best feeling native lenses for m43. But again, you do lose AF ability.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    The answer to aperture rings and non-modal controls is: Fuji.

9. CWRailman

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    Actually, before I bought my E-M10's and now the GM-5, I had considered the Fuji and I talked about the thought process that went into that decision in another thread. However I settled on the 4/3 format for several reasons, one was cost as the T-10 had not yet been issued and another was size as I also run a complete Pentax DSLR system parallel to the 4/3. I have not been disappointed.

As I also noted in another thread the GM-5 and the 15mm is my attempt to recreate one of my favorite 35mm film cameras, the Konica S3 which during it's day was revered by street shooters who could not afford a Leica. Panasonic%20GM-5%20and%20Konica%20010a.
    Thank you for suggesting the Voigtlander lenses for m43. I will look into those as long as they are a direct fit and not requiring an adapter. By the way it was your posting of the GM-5 photo with this 15mm lens a few weeks ago that caused me to acquire one. I really like the way the camera handles with this lens.

• Like Like x 1
  10. CWRailman

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    I saw that but it's a bit(actually significantly more) than I want to spend and though it does not have an aperture ring, I do have the Oly 45. Thanks for the suggestion.

11. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yeah. Shame there isn't more.

12. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    What about the Voigtlander 17.5 f0.95, it looks a lovely lens. Apart from manual focus, the only downside for stills photographers is the click-less aperture ring.

13. tg9413

tg9413 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2014
    thing about voiglander lens, they built like a tank and it's rock heavy on a GM body :( last time i play with it, the balance doesn't feel right

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. sdb123

sdb123 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 25, 2014
    Northants, UK
    Steve
    The aperture ring can be set to click or be silent...

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I like aperture rings too - why can't Oly support the concept too? Really annoying that this feature isn't part of the standard. I can't believe it would be hard to do.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. CWRailman

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    After checking them out I may consider putting the Voigtlander 25mm on my wish list though it’s weight would probably restrict it to being used on my Olympus E-M10. In that configuration it would be smaller and still weigh a bit less than a similar DSLR setup. The lens itself would weigh more than the E-M10.

As I stated previously I wish other lens manufactures would consider bringing back the Aperture ring instead of assigning that function to a dial or knob or worse yet burying it in some menu.

• Like Like x 1
  17. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    The 15mm is just great... I love it. It´s my all time with me set - together with the GM5...

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. rbelyell

rbelyell Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 15, 2013
    Mountains of NY
    can i ask, if you would consider cv manual focus only lenses, why you limit yourself to 'native' m4/3? there is some gorgeous rf glass out there that balances much better on small m4/3 cameras! and you get distance scales for hyperfocal shooting.

19. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    It wasn't part of the 4/3 or mu-43 standards, and Panasonic patented it.
    If Japanese patent law is similar to US law, then Oly should be able to license it if they wanted.

Barry

20. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    The 17.5mm is roughly the same size as the Olympus 12-40 but ~ 50% heavier. The 25mm is slightly smaller. They are very nice lenses, but my O17 gets used more because of size for my everyday lens.