Panasonic 150mm f2.8 on hold

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by microfourthirdsnut, Dec 8, 2013.

1. microfourthirdsnut

microfourthirdsnut Mu-43 Regular

Oct 8, 2012
    Looks like from what I have seen on the Panasonic site they have delayed or put on hold and maybe even cancelled the 150mm f2.8
    I know this has bin posted already some where on the forum but my reason for posting this is to let panasonic know and other m4/3 lens makers there is a demand and need and want for a long tele lens. Even longer that the 150mm f2.8 Do we really need a 2.8??
    Give me a 400mm or 500mm f4 I was using a leica 400mm f6.8 and have posted under the bird thread my results not bad for a old as dirt manual focus 20 some inch long lens. I want a native lens that is not manual focus, does it need IS yes and no both camera makers now have IS built in and really I would be using a mono or tripod on something that long anyway.
    Let make a statement by posting a we want a ____ blank tele lens and let them know. Fill in your _____ tele lens wants.
    I am sure someone from the OLY and PANNY companies monitor forums.

Cheers to all the wild life and birders out their.

2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd love a M43 100-300 f/4 sharp end-to-end. That lens would be small, manageable and perfect for daytime use. Panasonic should do the 150mm as an f/2 lens.

• Like Like x 3
  3. photo_owl

photo_owl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2013
    I'm equally sure that your idea of 'monitoring' and their's differs!

They all have mechanisms to establish needs (accurately) but reality tends to get in the way of delivering the 400g 100mm length x 72mm diameter 400/4 @ $300

Oly have already announced a 'long HQ telephoto' to complement the 40-150/2.8 and logically this is likely to be a 150-300 'ish and 2.8/3.5 or 4

When they have done that they might look to a 400/4 but, if this is such an easy lens to deliver, why don't the other lens manufacturers signed up to m43 deliver one??? No one even tried to for 43 despite the significant pricing space available below the Oly 300/2.8 420/4 600/5.6 options (which remain available of course)

• Like Like x 1
  4. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I think the mooted Panasonic 150/2.8 (OIS) is an excellent idea. Not too big, not too small. Even better if it collapses a bit when off, it could pack down to the same size as the Oly 75. My dream option for this lens would be an integral switch-in 1.4x teleconverter, making it a convertible 210mm f4 with slightly less optical performance.

The only deferral Panasonic made was to remove it from their 2013/14 release roadmap. I don't take that to be a cancellation. But Panasonic did announce recently they are slowing down their still camera release program to minimize losses from that division, so some concern is warranted.

The ultralong/ultrawide dreamboat optics being mentioned make no sense to me. A Canon 400mm f4 costs over $6,000, and basically long tele lenses merge to similar dimensions: no matter what sensor size, you need a lens 400mm long with a 100mm end optic and 100mm aperture. Might as well just buy the Canon. Eeww.

5. getoutandshoot

getoutandshoot Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    My vote is for a "pro" weather-sealed 300mm f/4 that is easily hand-holdable, but also with a removable lens collar to facilitate balancing on a tripod, priced somewhere in the neighborhood of $2000-$2500. I don't need or want the increased weight and cost that comes with f/2.8. Just give me the sharpest best 300mm f/4 possible in that price range (is that price range too low for such a lens?)... Image stabilization is nice, but I use the OM-D so it is built into the camera. A new 1.4x teleconverter designed specifically for the lens, released at the same time would help those who want even more reach, assuming such a teleconverter could still allow good autofocus at f/5.6. A built-in teleconverter is a nice idea, but if it drives up the price of the lens, I'd rather just keep it as a separate optional item.

--Dave

• Like Like x 2
  6. photo_owl

photo_owl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2013
    I think this represents 'popular thinking' Dave It may have to be 5.6 to meet the size aspirations though!

7. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    Well, my wish goes to a 400mm f/4... or a 100-400mm

8. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    My wish is Panasonic would actually just deliver lenses rather than "announce" them, anyone seen a 42.5mm or 15mm on the shelves yet........

9. Joelmusicman

Joelmusicman Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    Actually with a really long focal length I wonder if lens based stabilization would be better. The servos can only shift the sensor so far...

10. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    That's right, Joel. The sensor stabilizers are optimized for shorter focal lengths and get less and less effective as we move into the long tele's. The best IS is always lens IS, as it can be customized to the lens. So I see Mega/Power OIS as essential for this model lens.

11. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I wonder if Panasonic reconsidered when they saw Olympus announce a high IQ zoom lens that covers 150mm and f2.8?

How many would buy a fixed FL lens with the same specs as a zoom, and maybe same price to boot?

12. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    This is my thought too, it seemed like from early photos that the size wasn't much different either, and the Pana 150/2.8 was rumored to cost a lot, like $2500 or so? But I may be mistaken there.

Personally I would rather see a 200/4, 300/4, 400/5.6 or 500/5.6.

panasonic_prototype_lenses_preview_02.

13. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think the Olympus 5 axis IBIS beats any and all lens based IS easily. I've adapted all sorts of long lenses on the OMD and they all work flawlessly. The regular 2 axis IBIS is the one that only works well with short focal lengths.

14. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    That's at odds with the general experience and expectation on technical grounds. But hey, you might be right.

I wonder how much bigger the Olympus image circle has to be than 22mm, to cover the hand-held shaking of a 600mm or greater equivalent angle of view?

15. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    This laddie did his best to assess the EM5 with a 300mm lens, and got at least 1 stop but definitely less than 2 1/3 stops. A good result.

16. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    That wasn't my experience with the Panny 100-300 on my E-M5. It was roughly even, but I got more keepers with lens IS on and IBIS off than vice-versa. Might also be down to long lens technique; the 1/(2x) focal length rule requires rock-solid technique, particularly for super telephoto.

17. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    An example: lens OIS

I quickly threw a 100-300 OIS Pany on a G3 and took the following shot hand held. The equivalent FL is 400mm, shutter 1/13th sec. I had no practice and took one shot only. If that is 'acceptably sharp', it represents 5 stops of stabilisation over the 'standard handheld rule'. Of course, not everyone would be happy, it's a judgement call.

P1080720.

18. Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank Photo Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Frank
    Since Jonathan makes his living shooting with long lenses, he's presenting an informed opinion, Arg. I'm a fan of ibis as well, since it works with my collection of vintage Nikkor lenses. These days I'm shooting an ep5 with advanced 5 axis ibis, but even the 2 axis ibis on my ep3 was effective with long lenses, provided I took the time to enter the focal length before I started shooting. I think that's a step that's often overlooked. Here's a sample taken with the ep3 + 180/2.8 Nikkor.

P6111891%20hr-XL.

• Like Like x 1
  19. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    Well, owning a GH3, I'd definitely like OIS.. I like the idea of a 2.8 150mm OIS lens with teleconverter. It should also be weather-sealed. I am not asking for a faster lens on purpose, after seeing the disappointing price of the new 42.5.... No point in having a great lens I can't afford...

20. ornithology

ornithology Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2013
    Vancouver, BC
    A
    Really wish they made the tele-primes in f/1.8. What's stopping them?