1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 14mm vs up coming panny-leica 15mm f1.7

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by microfourthirdsnut, Oct 29, 2013.

1. microfourthirdsnut

microfourthirdsnut Mu-43 Regular

Oct 8, 2012
    So my guess is that it will work on all m4/3 camera ,so how many of you plan on selling your panny 14mm lenses to get the faster 15mm f1.7
    For me it seams like the logical thing to do. I will sell the 14mm and the wide adapter to fund a better 15mm by better I mean faster. It should also focus faster being it will be a new design.

2. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    I wouldn't assume it will focus any faster, just because it's newer. The mk2 20 doesn't focus any faster than the original 20, even though it's newer. If you want faster AF, and more light gathering you should look at the oly 12.

3. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    i thought the 14mm f/2.5 was one of the fastest focusing lens for M4/3 as it is. Though I would be interested in the image quality of the PL15mm.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think the direct competitor for this lens is the 17mm 1.8. The 14mm while very sharp is more of a budget oriented lens. If the 15mm comes in at or around the same price of the 17mm 1.8 it will be stiff competition for the Olympus glass.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I don't quite see the point of this new lens. I saw a mock up at a recent Photo expo. It's not a pancake . It's more like 17./1.8 size. I guess there is no escaping physics. How did they make the 20mm so small though??
    It does not compete with 14mm because 14mm is much wider and cheaper . This one will be high priced like 25/1.4.
    BTW, official Panasonic rep told me new 20mm is a little faster.
    I guess this lens is for people that don't want the 20mm for some reason. Too slow for them or ...

6. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm not sure about it being a direct competitor? Versus the 14 there's a direct price/quality/aperture proposition, and versus the 17 there's a price(?)/quality(?)/focal length proposition. I was certainly eyeing up the 14 over the 17, now I think I'll wait and see about this new PL, I hope it performs like my PL25 :)

7. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I have a 14mm and like it a lot though I am tempted to get the 15mm in the long term if it is a great lens. I would most likely keep the 14mm and leave it on my E-P1 as a smaller option, it does also depend on price if it is a lot more than say the Oly 17mm then I will give it a miss. I see it as another option to some it will be an alternative to the 14mm in focal length but like say Canons L lenses its more the high end option and its good that we are getting a lot of choice now we just need oly to make a 25 and some >75mm teles and perhaps a 10mm.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    I have the new 20 and it doesn't seem to focus any faster than my mk1 version. If it is its so slight it's indistinguishable. I tried both on GX7, haven't compared the two on E-M5 yet.IMHO YMMV

9. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    The 14mm lens is easily found for well under $200, and it focuses lightning fast, and is by far the smallest lens in the system. The 15mm f1.7 will be slightly more than a full f-stop faster, and it is sure to cost something between $500 and $700 out of the gate. It is apples vs. oranges. There will undoubtedly be folks who prefer one, and other folks who prefer the other. It might be helpful to wait until the 15mm f1.7 is a real thing, rather than just a bunch of CAD files and mockups and press releases, before deciding which one each person prefers.

• Like Like x 2
  10. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Usually I prefer a faster prime. In this instance, however, I prefer the 14mm because of the size. It's my only pancake and I like having the smaller lens available.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Depend on the quality and price, if it is as sharp as the 20mm, focus as fast as 14mm and cost no more than $450 I am pretty tempted to jump from 17mm F1.8. Though bokeh wise it will never beat 17mm and 20mm since it is wider, but for groupies, indoor and selfie it is more useful though.

12. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    +1

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. barbosas

barbosas Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2013
    Lisbon
    If it outperforms the 17mm I might well give it a try.

The other question is the FOV difference, I really like the FOV of the 17 and never used any 30mm to know if like it or not.

14. wjiang

30 and 35 aren't that different - you can just crop a little or walk half a step.

15. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    The 14 auto focuses pretty fast!

Whether or not the new 15 is better IQ wise, it sure looks really nice!!

It was a strange focal length choice by Pany for sure. I guess Pany was trying to avoid competition with the 20, but believes the price point won't make it a competitor of the 14.

16. kahren

kahren Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2010
    all this talk about competing with other lenses and being an odd focal length...
    i think panasonic is trying to compete with the iphone with this 15mm, it does after all have the same field of view
    seeing as the iphone is the most used camera at flickr, panasonic thought why not target it? makes sense to me :)

17. wjiang

I don't think there's anything odd about the focal length at all - there are others like Sigma's 19, Panasonic's 20, Olympus' 17 (we've got exact 17.5s), Olympus' 45 (we've got exact 42.5s), Olympus' 60 (not 67.5), which don't really fit exactly to stereotypical 35 mm focal lengths. It may just be the best optical formula for the given size and aperture.

18. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Nothing at all odd about the 45mm (90mm equivalent) focal length. It's a classic focal length, even more so than 85mm is. But in general, I agree, there's nothing sacrosanct about 28mm or 35mm equivalents. 15 is as reasonable as 17 or 19 is.

19. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    It's strange that the manufacturer would sell both a 14mm and a 15mm... that's like a TV manufacturer selling 28", 28.5", 36" and 42" sets, or something similar. Either you want a 28" or a 36" say, and all of a sudden there's another choice in between, leading to analysis paralysis. On the other hand, if they had a 14mm f/2.5 and a 14mm f/1.7, then pick which price you can afford, simple!

20. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    I will wait for actual user reviews on the lens and decide by then... I think it's a good addition to the system nevertheless even if it seems redundant to other existing lenses.