Panasonic 14mm vs 14 end of the 14-45

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by pellicle, Jun 21, 2011.

1. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa

haven't seen much on this. so aside from the f stop and OIS does any one have any thoughts as to the image quality of these compared to each other?
  2. dapipoy

dapipoy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2011
    midlands, uk
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    I believe the 14-45 is a superior lens vs. the 14-42 (so I've seen in photos). So if the 14-42 performs better at equivalent aperture than the 14/2.5, I'd assume that the 14-45 is going to be much better. The 14/2.5 runs about $50 more than a 14-45 ... hmmmm .... decisions eh?
  4. banana101

banana101 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 5, 2011
    I think I'm going to keep tab of this thread, considering which one to buy myself!
  5. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I think what it comes down to is that you buy the 14 for convenience and size, and maybe the extra stop and a bit of light. If you're looking for an IQ jump, not so much.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I had the 14-45 and 14 at the same time and I ended up selling the 14. It's a terrific lens and if you want a tiny, silent, fast focusing lens then it's hard to beat. For me, the 14-45 was a more versatile lens and I didn't shoot enough WA to make it viable for me to keep both.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I wonder which would make a better travel kit then... the prime trio 14,20,45 or maybe the 20 and 14-45? After a year with my GF1, I really find I enjoy using the primes (waiting for the PL 45 to arrive in the mail), but I've also never owned one of the kit 14-4# zooms. I find it kinda disappointing that a prime is being beat out by a zoom of the same price >_<
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Jordan

Jordan Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I have an E-PL2 with kit 14-42 lens. And also just purchased the Pan 14mm/2.5 lens. But I haven't shot enough with either to say which is better.
    I can just say why I got the 14mm to go with the kit. I wanted the wide angle pancake lens so the camera was slimmer and easier to carry at get togethers and indoor events. The kit lens when collapsed is fairly small, but not so when you extend it out to use it. I'll get good use of it at a friends wedding coming up (only using it at the reception).
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Toonman

Toonman Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2010
    Yep, the 14-45 is supposed to be one of the best ever kit lens (if not the best) produced for a digital camera. When tested 'what Digital Camera' said that it produced stunning results for a kit lens and was rated at a staggering 90% in testing.
  10. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    Firstly let me say thanks to everyone for their inputs. Valuable.

which is my motivation also. I'm thinking of obtaining a GF so I can mount it on my backpack strap for easy get at ... the 14 strikes me as being a good choice for that ... I'm also thinking of getting a Oly17mm as an alternative.

now its down to do I want a GF or a GF2
  11. MaxElmar

MaxElmar Mu-43 Regular

May 18, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    The Panasonic 14/2.5 is filled with awesome goodness. Smaller, faster (focus and f-stop), lighter, silent, as least as good optically - you should have one. (I have an Olympus with IBIS, so you might take that into consideration.)

Pretty sharp here. :thumbup:
    • Like Like x 1