1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 14mm pancake...yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by LowriderS10, Apr 28, 2014.

1. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Greetings fellow Four-thirders!

Over the weekend I sold some things and have a bit left over to play with. I've been a big fan of how small/light M4/3 is (in fact, it was the main reason for switching from a full frame DSLR outfit)...so I want to maximize that...I want a pancake!

When I was shooting Canon, I picked up a 40mm pancake for the heck of it...I didn't think I'd like the focal length, but I wanted to try it...I ended up loving it.

Now, I want something ridiculously small for the OM-D.
    Oly 17 2.8 - not that much different from the Pan 14, but a little more expensive (here in Korea) and has weaker performance, and slightly larger...no point.
    Pan 20 1.7 - a great lens in a FL I love...but twice as expensive as the 14 and slightly larger/heavier...I can easily swing the money the 14's going to set me back, but the 20 might be a stretch to justify to myself.
    Pan 12-32 - I REALLY wanted this lens, it looks like a blast...a tiny little zoom. But I have a feeling it's going to come down in price once GM1 kit lenses, etc inundate the market. Plus, the black version carries a $90 premium in Korea, and I don't want the silver.

That leaves the P14, which - aside from the ho-hum focal length - seems to be a solid choice. Sharp, fast enough, tiny. The focal length I'll either end up liking anyways (like I did with the 40 for Canon, which I originally hated), or sell the lens.

Any reason why I shouldn't get the 14?

Thanks in advance! :)

2. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Looking at your question from the flip side.... In my time of owning the Panasonic 14mm I literally could not come up with a single reason to get rid of it. Gem of a lens for the sub $200 price it sells for on eBay. Its so small and awesome.

• Like Like x 1
  3. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Its pretty much permanently on my old GX1 and has become my small "take anywhere" kit. So I'm going to complicate things for you. Why not get the 14mm AND a discounted small body (EPM2?, GX1?) for a tiny kit?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've owned the 14/2.5, 17/2.8 and 20/1.7. I've only kept the 14mm. It's a good lens. Get it!

• Like Like x 1
  5. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
    Voice of dissent here — have the 14 mm and I never use it. I like it on principle (love the size), but it never gets on either camera body.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    That makes two of us. Although I believe that my Ricoh GR also has something to do with that. Still trying to warm up to this angle of view again, but it is not coming easy with what I have been shooting lately.

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  7. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I sold my 14mm, I found it a bit redundant in my line up. 17/45 is for when I want to go light and small with primes. 12-35mm is my walk-around zoom and when I want wide angle.

I noticed a bit of vignetting in the wider apertures. Also a bit of purple CA/fringing in high contrast areas, used on an olympus body.

It is a small and cheap lens though. If you can get one second hand for a reasonable price, you can probably resell it for minimal loss.

• Like Like x 1
  8. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    The Pany 14 is an unequivocal BEST BUY and an optical gem considering its meager price of entry. I sold mine as it was somewhat redundant in my system (also own the Pany 7-14 & Oly 12-40 PRO, but that said, IMHO, it is easily their equal at their respective focal lengths - not to mention its diminutive size).

• Like Like x 1
  9. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    I think p14 is great. It's no mojo magic lens but it inspires you to get a interesting photo instead of showing off some nice bokeh or whatsoever. But I think its reputation would have been better if the price were 299usd. Its too cheap for taking serious for some I guess.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  10. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

I like the Pany 14mm and I've kept it (mainly because it didn't cost much) but since I bought the Pany 20mm and the Rokinon fish eye I don't I use it much.

IMHO buy the 14mm or one of the 17mm lenses or the 20mm but most people don't need more than 1 of them (want is a different matter).

• Like Like x 1
  11. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I glued my 14 to my GX1 to see if a GR would make sense for me. The GR produces beautiful files, but I may have to stick with my low rent version... for me, 28mm is a bit wide for a fixed lens camera.

12. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Whoa...thanks for all the awesome replies!! :)

I want to love the Pan 20, but I just can't really justify it at that price! The Oly 17 2.8 seems to be slightly larger and inferior at a slight premium (here in Korea, I can get the Pan 14 for about $175 brand new). No interest in the Oly 17 1.8, as it's larger and significantly more expensive ($450 here).

As for a second body...I really shouldn't get one. I move around/travel a lot, and less gear is better. I'll likely send the 14 2.5 (if I get it) back to Canada when I leave Korea, unless I fall in love with it...I try to travel with only 3 lenses: FE, UWA zoom, fast medium telephoto prime. The only second body that's tempting me is the GM-1, but it's too expensive to justify right now, so instead I'm trying to get my OM-D kit down to as small as possible. :D I think the OM-D with the 14 would be a wicked walkaround lens for shooting without getting too noticed. :)

13. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    If you don't have it already, the Sigma 60 is awesome and pretty inexpensive here in the US. Maybe spend your GAS money there.

14. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    I've read nothing but great things about the Sigma 60, but I already have two faster lenses bracketing that focal length (45 1.8 and 75 1.8), whereas I have no primes between the 7.5FE and the 45.

Also, I'm currently ONLY looking at pancake lenses, as I want an ultra-light, ultra-tiny, ultra-stealthy, ultra-portable option for my gear. When I had my DSLRs (5D Mark II was the last one), I loved slapping on the 40 2.8 STM pancake and going shooting without carrying too much gear. :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I understand. The Ricoh earns its keep as it easily fits into my jacket pocket, and its IQ is quite incredible. But, as I said, 28mm is not a FOV that I normally choose to shoot.

--Ken

16. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    I'm loving my 14mm (of course it is the only prime mft I have). But I think the 14/25/45 will be my mft kit along with the 40-150. I'm pretty amazed at the image quality from this little lens, and LR or PS easily fixes the purple fringe in high contrast areas. For me it is the perfect lens for my EP5 as a always with me setup. I've test it against my 12-24 Nikkor @ 18 (28mm vs 27mm) and it is amazingly close to that $1K lens. They seem to sell very quickly here if you don't like it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    For what it's worth, I have the 14 and 20 and don't feel like I use the 14mm enough since I got the 20. I suppose that eventually I'll sell one or the other and replace to widen out the gap in length a bit.

• Like Like x 1
  18. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    Duke
    Kind of agree with this. I love both lenses, but the focal lengths are just barely too close IMO. However, the 14 would be a great addition to your kit, a 14 and 45 can cover a huge range very discretely ;)

• Like Like x 1
  19. ttomino1980

ttomino1980 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 19, 2014
    Slovakia
    I vote also for 14mm ... I didnt use it much as have only 1 body and 25mm f/1.4 is glue on it ... But 14mm is so cheap & small that there is no reason to sell it ...but recently I try to use 14mm more and improve my compositon skils

20. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    It is a great little lens. You won't be disappointed.

• Like Like x 2