1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

panasonic 14mm lens

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by gnod, May 11, 2012.

1. gnod

gnod Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2012
    NYC
    so i'm a little surprised to find that on ebay this lens is much cheaper than what i've seen selling here. am i missing something?

a lot of them are clearly stating that the lens are made in japan and what not but.. aren't they all? i guess i'm just double checking to see that it's all good and that i'm not missing some key information as to why they're cheaper.
    maybe it's that they're selling overstocked goods from japan? a lot of them seem to be shipping out of japan.

2. ilikecheesecake

ilikecheesecake Mu-43 Rookie

May 8, 2012
    Denmark
    what.....ebay!!

You're not considering buying a lens off ebay are you.

you're brave

3. These are good lenses. I just got one yesterday that shipped out of NJ. Works great. Checking the seller's description on all of them, he states that these lenses come from GF3 kits. Some do not come with lens hoods and they do not come in original Panasonic boxes.

4. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    This has been discussed before. They are good. They are ex kit lenses so all you get will be the lens. I don't think there's even been one report of a bad one.

5. jon595

jon595 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    PA
    I bought a black one for $165 shipped. Was listed as being part of a kit. It cam with both caps, heavily wrapped in bubble wrap and well protected.

It works flawlessly and I saved over $100 from buying new from B&H or Amazon. I would highly recommend it as it's a killer lens for the price.

I bought from PodManTech... here is one of his current listings. With metal hood for $175.
    Brand New Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH H-H014 Black + Metal Hood 0885170023529 | eBay

(I have no affiliation with the seller, just a happy customer of his)

EDIT: I just remembered that my first foray into m4/3 was with a GF1 back in 2010... before I sold all that gear, I bought a 14mm off of eBay... so for those, I'm 2 for 2 on getting good copies from evilBay.

6. gnod

gnod Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2012
    NYC
    nice, thanks for everyone's feedbacks!
    now to find the 20mm.. :D

7. laydros

laydros New to Mu-43

Apr 24, 2012
    just got mine from podmantech a couple of days ago and it is a lovely lens. Yesterday I took my family to a little riverside park and had a lot of fun with the 14mm. One of the benefits of buying from eBay is you can get a black one, which you can't if you buy in a box. I don't think the 14mm normally comes with a hood, I know my new in box 20mm did not.

Only thing I would really like is the pouch that comes with the 20mm and I think comes with a boxed 14mm, I can't even find a way to order it straight from Panasonic.

8. Warren T.

Warren T. Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2010
    San Francisco
    I bought one yesterday locally off of Craigslist, in mint condition for $150. It is a black version, so it must have been taken from a kit. I'm excited to put it through its paces over the next few days. :). I just ordered a pair of vented lens hoods for it and also one for my 20mm. I'm not planning to use a filter on the lens and since the front lens element is right out there exposed to the elements, I figured the hood will be good for protection as well as flare prevention.

The 14mm will be part of my 3 lens prime kit (14, 20, and 40mm f1.8 Hexanon) for those days when I feel like going prime only.

--Warren

9. gnod

gnod Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2012
    NYC
    ooo! those 3 lens were what i was looking into.
    i hear the 40mm is awfully nice..

10. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I placed an order for one of these ex-kit lens 14mm's the other day (different seller) - if you're looking for a closed hood+cap for when the lens is in your bag HeavyStar has them fairly cheap:
    New-Metal-46mm-Screw-in-Wide-Angle-Lens-Hood-Cap

11. toobacat

toobacat Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2012
    I ordered one from PodManTech on Tuesday and it shipped yesterday. He has very good feedback.

12. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    I guess the interest in the 14mm Pana is getting stronger because of this article: LensRentals.com - Wide-Angle Micro 4/3 Imatest Results

In fact, ever since I saw the article I've been thinking of buying one myself (from ebay since you can get those so darn cheap there). :)

13. eleveninth

eleveninth Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 21, 2012
    got 1 from ebay as well.

Kit from GX-1..

14. WolfBane

WolfBane Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    I bought one from podmantech_uk on the UK ebay site. No problem at all and I got a new lens at a bargain price.

15. 14mm Lens

Speed and size issues aside, how does the 14mm pancake compare to your results using any of the Panasonic 14mm-to-something zooms?

16. slith

slith Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2012
    Dublin, Ireland
    Alfonso
    Same here. It was an impulse buy and I'm very happy, my zoom lens has not seen the day of light since.

17. Bl0at3r

Bl0at3r Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2012
    Essex, UK
    Alan
  18. gnod

gnod Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2012
    NYC
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Bl0at3r

Bl0at3r Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2012
    Essex, UK
    Alan
    No problem, it is far from scientific :smile:

20. BrusselSprouts

BrusselSprouts New to Mu-43

May 22, 2012
    I agree! Nice comparison. I'm thinking about picking up a 14-42mm for a trip I'm making in a few weeks for more focal use over the 14mm. I'm taking they complement each other well in terms of size and focal length trade-offs.