Panasonic 14mm f2.8 availability

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
dunno ... but its interesting just how few of Oly's 4/3 lenses will AF with their EP-x cameras
Not sure I'm following you here, the Oly Pens will CDAF with every one of Oly's 4/3rds lenses... as well as every other standard 4/3rds lens?

Cheers

Brian

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Yeah, exactly...Amen!

why so damn slow? , look at the optical element on the panasonic 20 1.7 it looks like a penny sitting on a hockey puck ..........1.4 or 1.5 would have impressed me and had the added benefit of making the lens look less silly

as for the upcoming 14 , i agree with Brian , it makes no sense with a 14mm 3.5 already available on the kit zoom , now if they they had the guts and the brains to make a 14 f2
or a 12 2.5 then i might be interested, imagine the buzz and tremendous respect panny would garner on the photo web sites and in the micro four third owner community if they could be so bold and brave .... so of course they wont do it .

these modern lenses, especially from olympus, feel like toys to me , strike that!.... many toys Ive come across seem much sturdier, i cant wait for a decent prime to be made for
the micro four thirds system , one that is made sturdily of metal, is reasonably fast, and has a focus action that does not feel like a mayonnaise jar spinning against a disk of felt

spinning endlessly "by wire " as if broken , completely detached spiritually and tactilely
for the had that moves it
voigtlander , where are you!

ep1 , gf 1 and lots of manual glass

ckw

New to Mu-43
It's exactly what I'm waiting for - a faster lens would be nicer, but since I'm used to shooting with f4 Canon zooms, 2.8 seems "fast" to me - if 2.8 instead of 1.7 is necessary to keep the size down (and price reasonable), then for me it is an acceptable compromise. That and the 20mm is probably all I will ever need for my GF1 (I'll stick with Canon for zooms and long tele work).

Cheers,

Colin

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle
Hi

Not sure I'm following you here, the Oly Pens will CDAF with every one of Oly's 4/3rds lenses... as well as every other standard 4/3rds lens?
really? I must be mistaken then (or confused with the Pana) as I thought that they would not AF with every regular 4/3 lens (for instance the ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 50-200mm F2.8-3.5 SWD)

blork

Mu-43 Rookie
For what it's worth, I don't like the "focus by wire" aspect of the 20mm f1.7 at all. It pretty much takes manual focusing off of the table for that lens (no biggie, since the AF is so snappy).

What I would prefer over the upcoming 14mm f2.8 would be a flat (pancake) MANUAL FOCUS (old fashioned style) 14mm or 12mm lens that is minimum f2.8 but f2 would be way better.

But I don't think that exists, at least not for a reasonable price. I think I found a few 12 and 14mm MF lenses on the web, but they were all fisheye lenses for 35mm, and they were huge and cost $3000 or something.

Why can't I just find a fast, MF wide angle lens for MFT?

hohoho

Mu-43 Regular
Faster! Faster!

It's exactly what I'm waiting for - a faster lens would be nicer, but since I'm used to shooting with f4 Canon zooms, 2.8 seems "fast" to me - if 2.8 instead of 1.7 is necessary to keep the size down (and price reasonable), then for me it is an acceptable compromise.
But ckw, we all really need f/1.4 or faster in order that we can still use our Kodachrome II in cloudy weather.

Oh, no, I got that wrong, it wasn't for the Kodachrome, it was for the "bokeh". And bokeh has to be creamy. Vaseliney bokeh, niveacremey bokeh, glyceriney bokeh -- forget them. Creamy is it. The Devil Wears Creamy.

Hang on . . . Atget, Stieglitz, Sander, Brandt, Ronis, Cartier-Bresson, Erwitt, Koudelka, Salgado ... I don't remember anyone going to their exhibitions or buying their books for the creamy bokeh. Indeed just today I picked up two old books by Alex Webb, and when I was flicking through them in the store I didn't notice any bokeh whatever.

Bokeh schmokeh. Still, when the focal length is 14mm and below, what we do need is autofocus ... because, um, because it's what plants crave. Pass me the Brawndo!

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
we doin' need no bokeh crap 'round here

You talk a bokeh around here in Philly, and the guys will change yer name....
BOKEH......

hohoho

Mu-43 Regular
You talk a bokeh around here in Philly, and the guys will change yer name....
BOKEH......
Yes, mention "bokeh" in Idiocracy, and you'd be accused of "fag talk".

Heh, just tonight I watched TNT Jackson. Not a patch on Coffy, but I got my $8 worth even before watching the bonus feature. At one point our heroine breaks somebody's arm in Pythonesque style. It cracks like a twig and stage blood comes spurting out. I've seen plenty of blaxploitation flicks but this is the only kung-fu blaxploitation flick I know.

hohoho

Mu-43 Regular
Why can't I just find a fast, MF wide angle lens for MFT?
Ding-dong!

It will need an adapter and a little surgery, and it will still vignette. Japan Exposures will handle the whole business for you, and adapter plus surgery plus postage will cost quite a bit more than a fleabay adapter, but the grand total is sure to cost a lot less than what Panasonic would charge you.

Oh, and it's not a pancake. But it's pretty small.

cosinaphile

Mu-43 All-Pro
ed the 12mm by voigtlander is about 650 of less, its considered one of the finest lenses in the line even the finish and feel of the lens is said to be superior

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle
Ding-dong!

It will need an adapter and a little surgery, and it will still vignette. Japan Exposures will handle the whole business for you, and adapter plus surgery plus postage will cost quite a bit more than a fleabay adapter, but the grand total is sure to cost a lot less than what Panasonic would charge you.

Oh, and it's not a pancake. But it's pretty small.
but it will after vignetting removed be no wider than your 14mm is (as I have one of these)

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle
Brian

well, it seems that after some research on my part that your information is accurate enough (there apparently are some which will only MF but in the main AF-S will be available).

This means that part of my information is applicable to only the Panasonic cameras.

It does however remain a problem and would seem to mean that if a micro 4/3 lens is to work on both species (Oly and Pana) that it would need to conform to the electro-mechanical focusing issues I spoke of before. Meaning that essentially what I said above is correct.

unless you have more information I don't know about?

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle
to add more to what I was saying:

I have a strong suspicion that the AF system somehow limits this. I don't know if its CDAF (which I suspect it is not) but that in an effort to get fast responses and key in with their electronics there is some limit imposed (perhaps related to the refresh rate to which the system seems to be tied to).
From this imaging-resource page:

.. It turns out that not all lenses are able to move their elements quickly enough to work with the G series' contrast-detect autofocus. Normal phase-detect AF systems are fairly forgiving of focusing speed, because the correct focal distance setting is determined independently of the lens elements' motion: The camera looks at the subject, calculates the correct focal distance, commands the lens to move, and then snaps the shot once the lens reports back that it's moved to the correct setting.

With contrast-detect autofocus, though, the lens has to move multiple times, and must come to rest before the camera can take each "look" at the subject, to determine whether the focus is better or worse than it was at the previous focal setting. In order for the overall focus cycle to be performed quickly, the lens needs to be able to shift focal settings very quickly, multiple times per second. This is a demanding requirement, and not all lenses are up to the challenge.
So, while some current Four Thirds lenses will work just fine on the new Micro Four Thirds system, with full support for AF operation, other lenses will be reduced to "guided manual" focus
Like the Panasonic G1, the GH1 uses a very fast contrast-detect autofocus system, capable of adjusting focus sixty times/second.
so it seems to me this is going to be a major restriction for the system, despite its alluring features, there are quite a few restrictions on its implementation (as was the main point of what I was saying). People who wish to take advantage of these nice features are perhaps never going to see lenses other than a few zooms or lenses which can make use of moving inner elements. The use existing AF lenses is going to be a challenge for the system, perhaps one which completely prevents using lenses where the entire element moves (as in say a typical 50mm lens), the motors just won't be fast enough and snappy enough to do it.

dunno ... but its interesting just how few of Oly's 4/3 lenses will AF with EP-x series cameras
this part is of course wrong and should have been "but its interesting just how few of Oly's 4/3 lenses will AF with Panasonic G series cameras"

blork

Mu-43 Rookie
Thanks for the tip on the 12mm Voigtlander, Cosinaphile, but it is neither small nor fast. The "not small" part I can live with but f5.6? No good for me (I'd want it for low light street work, etc.)

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
Brian

well, it seems that after some research on my part that your information is accurate enough (there apparently are some which will only MF but in the main AF-S will be available).
Do you know which 4/3rds standard lens will only MF? I'm guessing it could be a Sigma with limited 4/3rds compatibility... but would be interesting to hear of any specific lens which won't play.

In addition, there are a number of Oly 4/3rds lenses which will support CDAF - even on a Panasonic body. From memory, I think these include the 14-42, 40-150 and 70-300.

But in general, the Pens offer complete compatibility with 4/3rds - in return for being a little slower than the Panasonic bodies to focus native m4/3rds lenses.

Cheers

Brian

Bokeh Diem

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Brian.. I was told by a visiting Panasonic rep this weekend that the 8mm is nigh due out, and the 14mm is scrubbed.

Bokeh D

cosinaphile

Mu-43 All-Pro
chow monkey got that right ... this 14 2.8, why not f2 or 1.8,1.7?? for goodness sake look at the size of the front optics for all these micro 4\3 lenses, the 17 is a bit smaller than a us penny

these toy like silver and black painted plastic bodied primes... they dont get ois they are smaller and less complex optically and mechanically than any zoom and they are expensive , overpriced

ive all but lost interest in native lenses, they are slow and overpriced compared to offerings for original 4\3 or aps-c from canon and nikon for that matter

the kit zooms both start at 14mm 3.5 ,the new 14mm will be 2.8 what is that ? about 2\3 of a stop faster over a zoom??? give me a break . i am disappointed by the lenses they are offering , cheaply made and barely worthy of putting on the nicely made metal gf1 and ep1

Bokeh Diem

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The trouble :43: is having in the country of its birth is that it is regarded solely as 'soccer mom' material. The originators have to up the quality quotient and get serious about their lenses to break though this paradigm. I am not so sure they want to yet. The Pany rep told me this weekend to not expect anything 'prosumerish' anytime soon on the backside of my pointed questions in this regard, bodies and glass alike.

Bokeh D

Attachments

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom