Panasonic 14mm f2.8 availability

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by blork, Feb 9, 2010.

1. blork

blork Mu-43 Rookie Charter Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    There's no doubt in my mind that Panasonic is about to launch a 14mm f2.8 prime. I've seen pictures of it (on a Panasonic web site, I think, so not faked) and there are plenty of discussions about it.

But I can't find any information on WHEN it is going to be released. Anyone here have any info or pointers? (And price; any info on that?)

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Ed,
    That will be a very nice lens, I hope.
    Any idea of $$?

3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Yes, we all want to know. Keep us in the loop!

4. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    From a purely speculative standpoint, I think we can expect the pricing to be similar if not the same as the 20mm, which is $399 MSRP. If anything given the lens speed I could see it coming in slightly less, though from the photos it is an even more compact design, which could demand a slight premium, I would say somewhere between $379 and $449 USD. Purely speculation though!

I am awaiting the 100-300mm pricing (and reviews of course), that could be an interesting lens (not hand held though!). Especially if it comes in as a 3rd 'kit lens' price-wise.

I am most anxious about the 9-18 from olympus (including reviews, and a real street price), which is a nice wide-angle focal range, nevermind the compact design making it an ideal pair with the 20mm.

5. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Funny thing for me is;
    With the Pen I love primes. Hate zoomies.
    With the G1 I love the zoomies.
    It's that to the eye thing.
    The 9-18 would make a nice street zoomie.

6. andyw

andyw Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Surrey. UK
    Found this on the net. Pic of 14mm f2.8

[​IMG]

And there's a fish eye:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  7. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    I can't get my head around a 14mm f2.8 lens... too close to the 14mm f3.5 kit lens.

I really would prefer it to be wider - 12mm would probably be ideal, and as fast as possible - f2.8 would be OK I guess.

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 2
  8. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Wow, that 14mm looks a little beauty and will compliment the 20mm very well.

I like Don prefer primes on the GF1 but only have the 20mm (should receive adaptor this week so can try my M lenses on it).

I have been delighted with the quality and performance of the 20 so if the 14 is as well matched quality wise and priced accordingly, I can see it being a real winner.

Any ideas on launch date?

9. blork

Dec 31, 2009
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    For many years, 28mm (35mm EQ) was my standard way of "seeing." When I got a Lumix LX2 a few years ago (28-105 zoom) I almost never zoomed it. When the LX3 came out and its lens went to 24mm, I though it would be too wide, but I quickly got used to it, and grew to love it -- especially for my "From the Hip" project.

I love my GF1, but I really miss that wide angle. I can't do "From the Hip" shots with the 20mm (not wide enough). I didn't get the zoom because I need the lens to be fast (2.8 is barely adequate).

For those reasons I'm really looking forward to this 14mm f2.8, although what I'd REALLY love would be a 12mm f2.0!

But does anyone here know WHEN it's supposed to be released?

10. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Andy,
    You ain't no good.
    At my age, that 14mm is sexi.
    We doin' need no sexi lenses 'round here.
    Shooter....gasp

11. andyw

andyw Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Surrey. UK
    he he!! I'll see if i can find a pic of the 8mm:eek: (not a prime!!)

12. matmcdermott

matmcdermott Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

To me the advantage over the zoom is size, size and size. Not that the zoom is particularly big in the world of lenses, by any means. But the pancake lens, at least on the GF1, fit better in my hand (and pocket). Not to mention I just prefer prime lenses as a working method, and I'll take an extra half stop of speed any time.

• Like Like x 2
  13. blork

Dec 31, 2009
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    I agree with matmcdermott. The new 14mm f2.8, when it does come out (when? when?) will be a pancake, supposedly even smaller than the 20mm. And I like extra stops. I won't even consider these various f4+ zooms.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Really Ed!
    Smaller than the 20? Oh my.......
    If it's like the 17 I'd jump for joy.

I just love the system.....so well designed.

15. Chow Monkey

Chow Monkey Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Yes, size does matter :smile: But I would prefer a bit faster prime. Why not 1.7 also..

16. matmcdermott

matmcdermott Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

True... if it was 14/2.0 or 14/1.7 I would be even more thrilled.

17. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Hi

and from a purely business standpoint given the sales success of that lens it will probably be priced at that too

18. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    agreed and a 12 or even a 10mm would be fantastic ... I would even fork out more for that then I did for my Oly 9-18mm zoom.

With respect to lens speed and OIS, I was using my 18mm f2.8 Pentax 110 lens and comparing it in low light (kitchen in the evening, working out which one to take to a family evening) to the Kit 14-45 and found that the OIS gave me less camera shake than the higher f-stop did. So sure the OIS won't stop subject movement it does help more than the extra stops ... even if you apply good technique to both.

19. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    why so damn slow? , look at the optical element on the panasonic 20 1.7 it looks like a penny sitting on a hockey puck ..........1.4 or 1.5 would have impressed me and had the added benefit of making the lens look less silly

as for the upcoming 14 , i agree with Brian , it makes no sense with a 14mm 3.5 already available on the kit zoom , now if they they had the guts and the brains to make a 14 f2
    or a 12 2.5 then i might be interested, imagine the buzz and tremendous respect panny would garner on the photo web sites and in the micro four third owner community if they could be so bold and brave .... so of course they wont do it .

these modern lenses, especially from olympus, feel like toys to me , strike that!.... many toys Ive come across seem much sturdier, i cant wait for a decent prime to be made for
    the micro four thirds system , one that is made sturdily of metal, is reasonably fast, and has a focus action that does not feel like a mayonnaise jar spinning against a disk of felt

spinning endlessly "by wire " as if broken , completely detached spiritually and tactilely
    for the had that moves it
    voigtlander , where are you!

ep1 , gf 1 and lots of manual glass

• Like Like x 2
  20. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Hi

I have a strong suspicion that the AF system somehow limits this. I don't know if its CDAF (which I suspect it is not) but that in an effort to get fast responses and key in with their electronics there is some limit imposed (perhaps related to the refresh rate to which the system seems to be tied to).

dunno ... but its interesting just how few of Oly's 4/3 lenses will AF with their EP-x cameras