1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 Lens Hood?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by lmitch6, Jul 4, 2011.

1. lmitch6

lmitch6 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 28, 2010
    Hi All,

I'm a big fan of lens hoods and am getting ready to order this one, which has pretty good reviews for the 20mm pancake. Are there any 14mm owners who have explored hood options?

Thanks!

2. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I have 2 of THESE (a 46mm and a 43mm) and I really like them. I also have had very good luck with rainbowimaging.

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I had that B+W rubber hood for the 40.5mm size, and I thought the quality was pretty good for a rubber hood. Higher quality rubber and nicer textured ring when compared with the cheap rubber hoods I get for 49mm SLR lenses.

However, I would be more inclined to go for the hard Leica clone hood that dixeyk mentioned, if only my local stores were able to order that in. The B+W was the only 40.5mm hood they could get, lol.

Now I just go to the local Classic Camera Exchange, where they have some old rangefinder hoods. Unfortunately, it was very difficult for me to find a 40.5mm version even there (I did see some 46mm ones, like what you need), as the owner said he had tons of them 2 years ago but the supply has been quickly dwindling over the past 2 years. Well, I know why that is... The original Digital PEN was released 2 years ago, and since then rangefinder lenses have made a resurgence. ;) Pity... I ended up with a quality rubber hood but had wanted one of the nice aluminum hoods, especially a silver one to match the lens.

4. trisberg

trisberg Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2009
    I'm using this wide-angle metal hood and it works great. The heavystar seller has a lot of metal hoods. I also bought a deeper vented 46mm hood for the 20mm.

-Thomas

5. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    That's the one I should have taken - I have purchased the one I think Dixeyk mentions (can't check, the seller cannot be accessed from Europe) and you can't put the cap on the hood.

6. lmitch6

lmitch6 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 28, 2010
    Thanks for the recommendations guys! I'm partial to the B+W hood over the metal ones, so think I'll give it a go. I'll post up any observations here.

7. eyeguy

eyeguy Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    Do you guys leave these lens hoods on your pancakes all the time or attach them pro re nata?

I'm looking into a lens hood for my 20mm but it seems impractical to leave the vented one permanently attached as dust can get on the lens. Do the rubber ones allow you to attach the lens cap? Also leaving a lens hood permanently attached kind of defeats the compactness of the m43 IMO.

That said, I may pick this up for $5, from the description I can't tell the difference between this and the B+W hood: Adorama RLH46 46mm Rubber Lens Hood | eBay

8. Use the B+W rubber hood on the 20mm. Retracts/folds for a bit more compact package. When retracted it sticks out no further than the lens cap does. Lens cap works with the hood.

9. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I have UV filters on my lens so I leave the lens hoods on and don't bother with caps when I'm in the field (I am always losing caps).

10. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

Imitch6,

The B+W hood works very well except you must use this when you do not need the focus assist light as the hood may interfere. Also, you will want to insure that the hood threads do not interefere with the lens auto-focus motor movement. This hood is the best built that I have seen in recent times. I own two of these.

Another alternative is to use a 46mm to 37mm step-down ring with a 37mm snap-lock lens cap. Make certain you get a dull black step-down ring and not a silver ring. This idea was published several months ago in MFT. I have used this combination and I find this to be highly convenient and an adequate hood under most lighting conditions.

Have fun,
    Tom

11. rkhndjr

rkhndjr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2010
    Why

do all of you use a hood? No offense, just curious. In all my many years of photography I have never used a filter or hood and had no problems.

12. lmitch6

lmitch6 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 28, 2010
    Thanks for your observations on the B+W Tom!

13. lmitch6

lmitch6 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 28, 2010
    I've always used a lens hood (roughly 25 years). For my shooting, I can tell a difference in color/contrast, and like the handling better. To each his/her own though :)

14. rkhndjr

rkhndjr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2010
    Thank you. But I will say they would seem to take away from a 20mm lens/GF1 size and shape.

15. dapipoy

dapipoy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2011
    midlands, uk
    when i do streetshooting, i never use a hood but when i shoot landscape, sometimes i use a hood.

16. lmitch6

lmitch6 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 28, 2010
    I can see your point, I personally feel 'naked' without a lens hood though, and it does provide a little extra surface area to hold the camera.

17. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

Why use a Hood.....

Just a review, but this might be helpful here:

1) A hood tends to protects the lens from mechanical damage.
    2) A hood tends to protect a lens from inclement whether and often from wind blown debris, rain, snow, etc.
    3) A hood often reduces flare, glare and in doing so promotes color saturation.

Now, I want to disagree with the comment about the size of a hood, evening realizing that the comment was directedto a hood on a small lens and camera.Hoods and effective hoods are often very large and very clumsy. Several years ago I did a whole lot of professional and semi-professional 6 X 6 and 6 X ( shooting in the National Parks. I often used very large metal or cardboard flags in lieu of my lens hood because I needed even more control of flare/color saturation that\n the standard size hood would provide.

The bottom line is that a hood is an accessory that should be used whenever possible, in my opinion, that is.

Best regards,
    Tom

18. lmitch6

lmitch6 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 28, 2010
    I agree with you Tom....the hoods for my Mamiya RB lenses looked like umbrellas in comparison to m43 options....miss that camera even though i sometimes wanted to hire sherpas to carry my gear :)

19. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

Imitch6,

Yes, I totally miss my Mamiya for scenic work. I loved that camera and the support that used to be available from Mamiya USA. As you point out, one needed to own a covered wagon to transport this so the vacation home was not in the budget. My 4 X 5 sat in its case except for special product shots once I started using Mamiya.

This M43rds stuff is a whole new world and a different way of thinking in many directions. I used to do photography. Now I am doing electronics/computers and trying to turn these things into photography. This is not necessarily a brave new world!

Best regards,
    Tom

20. lmitch6

lmitch6 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 28, 2010
    Tom,

Your words remind me of a quote I came across recently:

"Actually, I'm not all that interested in the subject of photography. Once the picture is in the box, I'm not all that interested in what happens next. Hunters, after all, aren't cooks." - Henri Cartier-Bresson

I know how you feel. Although i'm all digital now, and enjoy it, at heart I think I'm still a film shooter. I didn't care much for darkroom work in my film days, which seems to have carried over into my attitudes about post processing digital images. I'd rather do every darn thing I can in-camera, while in the field, which is where I'd rather be!