1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 14-50 Elmar vs Elmarit?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by peppermonkey, Apr 22, 2016.

1. peppermonkey

peppermonkey Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2013
    Toronto, Canada
    So against my better judgement, I picked up a Panasonic L1 for a song ($50USD). I only have the Oly 4/3 35mm Macro currently so want to pair the L1 with either of the two 14-50mm. I would also probably use it sparingly with my GX8. I understand that the Oly 12-60 and possibly the 14-54 maybe just as good or better but from a non-functional POV, the Panny lenses just looks better on the L1.
    Also, I hear that the Elmar focuses faster than the Elmarit on a m43 camera.
    Of course the build quality would be better on the Elmarit and there is also the aperture ring which would be nice but definitely not a necessity.
    Considering the age of the L1 (or rather the sensor), I would most likely use it in OK to good light, but I would still like to use it indoors at times.
    I hear that the Elmar is basically as good as the Elmarit optically...is this really true? If that is the case, is there any reason to get the Elmarit over the Elmar? Is the difference between f2.8-3.5 Elmarit and the F3.8-5.6 big enough to warrant getting the Elmarit?
    Is there anything I'm missing? Is there anything about the IQ of either lenses that I should know about that could sway me one way or another?

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It's an extra stop+. You probably know what that means. Both great lenses.

Edit:looking at prices and it seems like the 2.8-3.5 is just as cheap, so that's a no brainier. Both would be tough for me given how cheap first gen oly 14-54 are, though.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  3. Tilman Paulin

Tilman Paulin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    For indoors use I'd say it's a no-brainer too - (go for the 2.8-3.5... especially if they go for roughly the same prices.)

On these older sensors going from ISO 400 to ISO800 will have a bigger negative effect than any (potential) sharpness difference between the two lenses.

With these "oldtimers" it's not just the older sensor technology that can be an issue, but simply the age of the sensor. When I was looking for a replacement E1 recently, I had to go through 3 cameras, to find one that hadn't developed an excessive amount of hot/stuck pixels (one of them had about 50!). These show up more with higher ISOs too.

That being said, enjoy your L1! :) I'm still shooting regularly with my E1 and there's still a lot going for these older four thirds cameras. (like those great "kit" lenses they made for them)

4. peppermonkey

May 20, 2013
    Toronto, Canada
    Is the Oly 14-54 that much better than either 14-50's?

5. peppermonkey

May 20, 2013
    Toronto, Canada
    Ahh, you are right about the sensors, hadn't thought about that. I just wanted to confirm that there really wasn't that much different between the two. But yeah, considering the speed difference, I think I'll be leaning towards the Elmarit. :)

6. tkbslc

No, it's just WAY cheaper. You can get it for like $100 these days and it's f2.8-3.5, too.

7. peppermonkey

May 20, 2013
    Toronto, Canada
    Whoa, didn't realize you could get it for that cheap. Then again, doing a cursory look... Where can you get it for $100? Seens to go as low as $150USD on the 'bay... Then again, that's still cheaper than the ~$275USD for the PL14-50 F2.8...Hmmm

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

8. tkbslc

If you search completed listings, there is at least one a week closing at about US$100

The Olympus does not have OIS though.

9. The Elmar was designed to be (somewhat) compatible with contrast detect autofocus, whereas the Elmarit was not. The 14-150mm Elmar (also CDAF compatible) is probably the pick of the PL4/3 zooms.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  10. peppermonkey

May 20, 2013
    Toronto, Canada
    No ois is a bummer but not really a necessity. Hmm may have to keep an eye out with that kind of price.

11. peppermonkey

May 20, 2013
    Toronto, Canada
    Would love to get the 14-150mm Elmar but unless I'm mistaken, that's almost twice the price of the 14-50mm Elmar and Elmarit...

12. Tilman Paulin

Tilman Paulin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    Yes, the 14-150mm usually starts at 600$+ from what I've seen.
    It's a great lens, but what you win in range you lose in speed :)

If you're not sure how much you want to invest in an older four thirds system, I'd start with a Oly 14-54mm. Or the Panasonic equivalent.
    I have the Oly 14-54 and like it a lot, and from what I remember the Panasonics are supposed to be equally good.

13. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The only thing the Elmarit has going for it over the Elmar is that the latter has a known issue where one of the screws in the barrel will get loose over time, making the lens unusable (14-50 Leica f2.8.-f3.5 jammed.: Olympus SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review). Not everybody hits the issue though, and it can certainly be fixed - but it is a nuisance. Still, the Olympus 14-54 is a better bang for the buck and for a $50 camera, makes more sense than the $250+ Elmar or Elmarit.

14. peppermonkey

May 20, 2013
    Toronto, Canada
    Err...you mean the Elmar over the Elmarit (as it's the Elmarit that has the problem...). I'm actually hoping a used Elmarit with the jam issue pops up on the bay so I can snag it for dirt cheap ;)
    And yeah, looking at the 14-54mm now...and it seems the 12-60mm is only about $75USD more (than Elmarit)... Some very nice lenses for rather cheap!

15. tkbslc

Yeah, the 4/3 lenses are absurdly cheap these days. You can get the 14-54/50-200 combo for less than $450 at Keh.com right now.

Another one that might be fun for your 4/3 kit is the 40-150 f3.5-4.5 - the forgotten "fast" kit telephoto.

Or just throw the 25mm f2.8 pancake on there... :)

16. peppermonkey

May 20, 2013
    Toronto, Canada
    ...and in the mean time, I somehow got myself a brand new Sigma 10-20mm via eBay ($200USD)...ugg...should really slow down, spending more than I should... Then again, looks like it'll take a while before I can get a standard zoom (Elmarit, Elmar, 14-54 or 12-60) for the price I want so the Sigma would keep me distracted till then I guess.
    As for the 25mm f2.8...is that any good? I can see myself using the standard zooms on my GX8 at times but a Oly 25mm 2.8...well, that'll probably never see the time of day on my GX8 as I do have my PL 25mm 1.4. The 40-150mm f3.5-4.5 might be interesting though, at least on the L1

17. Dennis Mansour

Dennis Mansour Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2015
    dennis
    I am looking to Buy the
    LEICA D VARIO–ELMARIT 2.8-3.5 / 14 - 50 . Just not sure which Body will be the best buy and with a decent Resolution. I need AF and I am not sure if I will need an adaptor . Thank you

18. peppermonkey

May 20, 2013
    Toronto, Canada
    Um, are you planning on using this on a M43 camera or a 43 camera? If the latter, then no need for adapter. Should work just as well on any 43 body, albeit, it was designed and sold with the Panasonic L1 so I would pick that just for those reason (which means no real technical merits).
    If you are talking M43 then you need a 43 to m43 adapter with electrical contacts (i.e. either an Olympus or Panasonic adapter). Which bodies...well, I think that's more of a personal thing. It should work the same on all bodies...Except the Olympus E-M1. All other cameras don't have PDAF so will AF very slowly.

19. Dennis Mansour

Dennis Mansour Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2015
    dennis
    Thank you. I appreciate that