Panasonic 14-45mm colour fringing

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by addieleman, Feb 19, 2011.

1. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    To my surprise and dismay I noticed colour fringing in the center of the image. Below the full picture and a 200 % crop. You can see yellow/red fringing on one side and blue/purple on the other along the vertical structures. This isn't expected in the center of the image. The lens hasn't been knocked so decentering shouldn't be there. This picture is taken with the GH2 and 14-45mm set to 45mm and f/5.6.

Anyone else ever noticed something like it? I'm a bit shocked about this behaviour, up until now I thought highly of this lens.

1192211904_dgWqy-XL.

1192211899_yVmAz-XL.

2. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Well, my opinion: it's at 200% and not very prominent, and besides it's easily fixed with postprocessing (LR) . . . . so I wouldn't worry about it. I find I have a little CA in many of my pictures taken with the 14-45, 20mm, 40-150mm (Oly) . . . just a fact of life when shooting in certain situations. But only once was it too bad to be corrected, and that was from a (non-native) lens I eventually sold.

3. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Correction with ACR isn't possible in the center of the image, that's what bothers me; I just tried. I agree that it's not very grave, but I noticed it when checking for sharpness at 100 % as I always do, I wasn't specifically looking for it.

I don't think I can follow your advice not to worry about it, I know myself too well :redface:.

4. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    wow, Ad, your eyesight is a lot better than mine ...

5. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    OIS and colour fringing

Found the cause of CA in the centre: if OIS (image stabilization) is on, a variable amount of fringing is seen in the centre of the image when taking multiple images of the same subject. Switch OIS off and it's almost gone, but not completely. Phew! My lens is still OK. I was afraid that it had decentered elements from a knock, although I'm almost sure it didn't receive harsh knocks.

6. joele

joele Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Optical Image Stabilization by its very nature introduces decentering as element(s) are moving, which is why it is recommended to turn it off if it isn't needed..

7. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Ad...it doesn't really look like much cause for dismay, does it? Now you no longer think highly of the lens? Small sensor, moderately priced small zoom lens, it's not going to be the absolute pinnacle of optical perfection. And it helps to stay away from 200% viewing as well... :wink:

8. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    I'm OK with it now I know that there's a reason for the fringing not being that the lens has been damaged. In fact I really like this lens, it's my most used lens.

Viewing at 200 % seems a bit over the top, it served as a means to make it clearly visible. When I want to find out the best correction coefficients for CA in legacy lenses I always do that with at least 200 % viewing ratio.

OK, now that I've been caught out as an equipment nut :redface:, I can only say in my defence that I use a Minolta 28mm as well, which certainly can't be called the ideal lens for a GH2...