Panasonic 14-45mm & 45-150mm

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Woodstock, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Woodstock

Woodstock New to Mu-43

Dec 28, 2013
    Hi all, I would like to hear comments on the build quality of the 45-150 mm lens as compared to the 14-45mm lens .... equal to, less than, etc. I am assuming that the glass quality would be comparable. While I would prefer the 12-35mm & 35-100mm lenses, budget restraints have relegated me to the kit lens quality. Since getting my GH3 & 14-45mm kit I have been pleased with the result, but need a little more zoom for the subject matter I like to shoot. David
  2. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    I have both of these lenses, which are among the four that survived my effort to cull my collection down to the most-used lenses. The 14-45mm is legendary, and built like a tank. I like the external IS switch. The 45-150mm is also very solidly built, but its most outstanding quality, IMO, is its tiny size. It's only very slightly longer than the 14-45mm! I've been very impressed with the IQ as well.

For video, you might also consider the 45-175mm, which has internal zooming (doesn't extend) and a power zoom button. IQ-wise, it's comparable to the 45-150mm. It is, however, more expensive.
  3. Woodstock

Woodstock New to Mu-43

Dec 28, 2013
    Thanks Tom, I will check out the 45-175mm.....I haven't done much with the video features of my GH3 yet....mostly stills.
  4. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    I have both. Similar situation as you. This pair is a very natural pairing really for the budgetary conscious kit. I recently took some "product" photos using the 14-45mm on an EM-5 and was actually really suprised (again) at how sharp a lens it really is.

Let me start here: I do not like the two tone treatment of the 14-45mm or the color of the 45-150mm. While cosmetic, I consider that a part of build. However I am willing to live with a lot where this is concerned if performance is good. Beyond that I do prefer the build quality on the 14-45mm versus the 45-150mm. Something about the 14-45mm feeling more solid. it is obviously quite a bit heaier, and that lends to the overal impression. In the end, the 14-45mm feels solid in hand and I get this slight drift from the 45-150mm of an empty, light aluminum beer can. This is not a criticism. It is just so. On the positive side, the 45-150mm has a metal mount and in reality seems sturdy enough. I have put ot through paces enough and it still hammers out nice quality photos. I'd like to have an OIS switch. I cannot decide if I like it better than the Oly 40-150mm, and keep going back and forth in terms of IQ. I think I do like it better, though I prefer the build of the Oly. If I somehow decide that the Panasonic is a better lens, I'll drop the Oly, build/cosmetics or not.

In the end, build quality of the 45-150mm is probably "different." I think the goals were different. For what I think they tried to do with this lens... provide a light, inexpensive build with very good optics and fast AF, while maintaining the "look" of the more expensive line, they hit it right on the nose.

Purely subjectively and to my preferences, the build quality is lesser than the 14-45mm. But that's just me. Objectively, "different." Hope this helps.

5. Woodstock

Woodstock New to Mu-43

Dec 28, 2013
    woof, thanks....I was hoping that the 45-150 would be an equal build is too bad that one must buy these goods to actually see them. I don't know of anyone in my social circles that shoots micro 4/3. I know the 35-100mm would have a great build quality, but the ka-ching dampens my compulsion, LOL!
  6. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    I only have the Lumix 14-45, but from what everyone has said over the years, you cannot assume the glass quality of the 45-150 is comparable.
    In plain terms I reckon the glass quality (not aperture) of the original 14-45 is up there with the 12-35 and 4/3rds 12-60.
  7. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    We have the 45-175 for use on both my EM-5 and my wife's G3.

In terms of build quality it's slightly better than both the Oly 40-150 (which we have) and the Pana 45-150 (which we had a go with in a shop). Again IQ wise slightly better than the 150's (but not by much) possibly not quite as good as the 14-45 either.

Handling wise it's nice because unlike both 150's it does not get any bigger as you zoom.

If you can get the 45-175 at the right price then fine otherwise go for a S/H 45-150.